wwyd?

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Someone mentioned that the strapping may be rubbing his man bits & that he might be in pain. OP then states they have heart problems & walk with crutches.

I don't think those 2 things go together very well.
Is there anyone else could help you?

abbijay

Visit site
I can't explain what the owner is like as it would only be my opinion, but she does have a reputation locally. Last time I went to see her about her sheep being in with my ponies she wouldn't answer her door or telephone.

I am disabled, have heart problems, and need crutches to be able to walk. I will however catch him up and try to take his rug off in the morning. He doesn't tend to move about much, always in the same place, so I just hope he will be ok till then.

Yes he is wormy, and has now contaminated my eight clean acres. His feet are not overgrown, although in need of a tidy up they're not a bad shape. He has lost at least one tooth and does seem to have a problem eating so will need to see the dentist.

What I really hoped for was some advice as to who might help out here, RSPCA and whw are aware but don't seem to be doing anything. Do I just persevere with them, as talking to owner is like banging head off a brick wall, or are there other organisations who may help this lovely old boy and her over three horses, yes, she has more.....

I know this is contentious but...
This is why I get really angry at the whole "I rescued a horse" thing! If a responsible owner has decided they can't keep a horse responsibly and to a decent standard then sometimes having it humanely destroyed might just be the best thing for it. Then it wouldn't have been left to lose weight with no dental/farriery/vetinary care and run the risk of some very nasty injuries from a completely unsuitable rug.
The current owner obviously doesn't have a lot of knowledge whether they are deliberately doing this or just naive!
**Sits back and waits for the mud to be slung at me for that**

SpringArising

Visit site
I would have taken the rug off - there's no way I could have left him like that.

The current owner sounds like she doesn't care at all, so I doubt she'd even blink an eye if you tell her what's happened.

I'd offer her £100 for him if I had 8 acres (although I know you might not want another!).

Other than the rug he looks OK.

Casey76

Visit site
The rug might fit if it was on the right way round! If the "neck" is the tail flap, and that is a legstrap/filet around his neck/chest.

I also suspect it wouldn't look like a minidress if it was properly righted.

Beausmate

Visit site
The rug is the right way round (secured with what looks like a fillet strap), you can tell by the position of the front leg arch, the hood and the velcro.

Poor horse must be pretty uncomfortable, especially when he has to pee. I have seen an ill-fitting rug that was nowhere near as bad as that, rub a really nasty sore into the chest of the horse in no time.

I think that rug is highly likely to *ahem* fall off, as it fits so badly.

3OldPonies

Visit site
The rug is the right way round (secured with what looks like a fillet strap), you can tell by the position of the front leg arch, the hood and the velcro.

Poor horse must be pretty uncomfortable, especially when he has to pee.

I think that rug is highly likely to *ahem* fall off, as it fits so badly.

It would be falling off if I were around as well, possibly the surcingles would have snapped . . . .

OP - like others have said - take care he will most possibly be sore in front of his man bits. That back strap is awfully close to where cowboys fix the bucking strap on rodeo horses.

I'd also be having a word with the owner. I know you said RSPCA were involved, if they're doing nothing call your local BHS welfare person as well.

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
Thanks for all comments. To clarify, rug appeared on horse yesterday. It strayed into our field as its own field fence is like a cobweb. We bought this field in october. We are renewing all round the boundary, but the fencer fell ill and was off work, hopefully returning next week.

I couldn't catch him in the wind today but did get close enough to see no harm was being done by the straps. He is at least warm and has a dry back. His coat is very thin and i think he was bullied by one of his companions as he was covered in bites.

RSPCA and a vet have attended today and are returning on Monday. they told "the rescuer"she has to have one of her others put to sleep and this guy has to see a dentist and start receiving proper feed, as have her other two tb "rescues". There were mutterings about prosecution and I will fully support this if/when it happens. Her response was to say she was getting a second opinion. I wasn't present when they talked to her.

As to keeping him, well, I would if I could as he is a nice old boy and would love the attention, but there are people out there more able than me, hopefully he will find one of them soon.

Hope to be able to update you with a happy ending next week.

happyclappy

Visit site
Nonsense!!!! This horse is on OPs field. No one is suggesting she goes off on a rant, just quietly removes the rug and sorts it out, then (if she must) pops in to the neighbour and says, "oh, saw the horse had got into a bit of a mess with his rug so sorted it out. Hope that's ok" .... Or similar.

No rant required, just quiet, positive action.

Eta ... See to have reverted back to my old forum name mid-thread here .....:)

I also agree with this. The horse himself does not look to be in too bad a condition and appears to be fairy happy.

StarlightMagic

Visit site
I'd be careful if he is on your land, i believe animals on your land mean you legally have a duty of care? I am happy to be corrected but I'd be concerned about being dragged into the situation.