Wychanger Barton Saddlery

cornwallexracers

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has used Wychanger Barton Saddlery? I'm hoping they'll be able to help me with my awkward ex-racer and his saddle? Or are they just like the others I've come across in the last few days and tell me (over the phone) that there's no point trying to alter his current saddle but they can sell me one that will definately fit?

He may well need a new saddle but I'd at least like the saddler to see him in his first in order to tell me that!!

Any reccomendations or info would be much appreciated, I've lost all confidence in saddlers this week.

Otherwise I think I'm going to a saddle co saddle!

katie_southwest

Visit site
I use them, Jasper is lovely. He fitted a saddle that I was buying off my friend rather than trying to sell me one of theirs, even though they sell them brand new
smile.gif

Ravenwood

Visit site
I bought my last saddle from them (second hand and a very good price
smile.gif
) They let me take home loads of saddles to try. I could have taken my horse to them and have them look, at a cost of £25 (they have an arena you can use) but were reluctant to travel to me and it would be expensive.

I found them very helpful and once I got chatting to one of the girls and looked around at their other stuff for sale (very expensive) she was offering me discounts left, right and centre!!!

Unfortunately I have heard lots of not so good stories, particularly since Nathaniel sold out.

ETA: Whychanger Barton saddles do hold their price

Ezme

Visit site
I've always heard they were fab. They're about 1/2 hour from me. Acorn Saddlery in South Molton is also very good for second hand and new saddles but it's in the middle of town so doesn't have the facilities, although he will travel out with a van full

Tangaroo

Visit site
I use Nathaniel Underwood who used to own Wychanger! i did go to wychanger once after he left and never again! Nathaniel is the best in the area.
If you want his number PM me!

Haniki

Visit site
My 2 horses's saddles were bought and fitted by Nathaniel Underwood when he was at Wychanger - I would recommend him. I had a second hand saddle for one from him whilst she was a youngster and he gave me a good trade in price against a new saddle later.

Foxfolly

Visit site
I used them when Nathaniel was there and they were brilliant, went again after he sold the business and saw Jasper (Who was there with Nathaniel) and he is great too........

BUT went back after to get a check and Jasper wasn't available and was really put off.

The girl (Not the new owner) was telling me that because my horse had lost condition since the last fitting he must have been in serious pain.. etc. etc..raelly laying it on thick, and she could have made me feel really awful, the fact was he was out of work when he was first fitted and eventing fit when I went back, I tried telling her but she was insistent he had a real problem, my friend is a McTimoney practitioner and there was nothing wrong with him!! She also argued with me about he size of numnah that Jasper had recommended I use at the original fitting! Surely I would know I was there... and I bought it!!
I also had a problem with my bates saddle (Bought from them new) as within 6 months the velcro pad for the thigh block was coming away from the saddle flap and they said they'd send it back but it would take 4 weeks but they couldn't offer me anything to use in the mean time, which I thought was pretty poor service! When I had a problem with a GFS saddle when Nathaniel was there they just gave me another one to use until mine came back!

I really hope they have improved since then, (this was approx 3 years ago) as they had such a good reputation from Nathaniel and I was really dissapointed at the decline of the serivce. I used to do a 150 mile round trip to use them as I didn't trust any of my local saddlers!

So I would go there (If I wasn't in Yorkshire now!) BUT specifically ask for Jasper!!!

cornwallexracers

Visit site
I tried to get hold of Nathaniel today, but have left a message instead. I also spoke to Jasper who told me exactly what I know needs doing with the saddle but he won't travel down this far. So I don't know if Nathaniel will travel this far either?

God, why did I let another so called 'master saddler' alter it in the first place who has now completely ruined it, and now I can't find anyone who'll put it back to the way it was.