x poles vs strights

Equi

Visit site
Just something that popped into my head. I'm still very nervous jumping, always hated it, but i want to do some more. I always have piddly x poles, cause in my head they are best for my nerves. Ive done a cavaletti in trot, but its not much of a jump!

So, with slightly bigger jumps - will a horse jump a X pole to the height of the highest bit or the middle? If a straight was put up would the height the horse jumps be somewhat the same?

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I have always believed that a horse jumps a cross pole jump higher than a straight as if you think about it they have the V to add in to the jump rather than a just a straight pole.

Would love to see a 2'6 comparison on a cross and straight jump in photos

catroo

Visit site
I think it depends on what height your talking, if standard size poles in a cross at 2ft then the angle difference won't be much so a straight at this height won't be much difference.

If it's a 3ft cross then there's more of a difference between the middle and the sides. It's also narrower so encourages more effort to snap up on front potentially making it feel like a bigger jump

Equi

Visit site
This is one of my biggest jumps, and i know i can clearly see he would jump the straight version of it, but if this was put in front of me as a stright i would panic and not jump it.

I wonder if he would jump it bigger as a straight though.

14441100_10208963143093263_6861588768524451094_n.jpg

crabbymare

Visit site
if you have a second pair of wings or stands try putting the straight bar behind the cross so that the feet of the wings are one inside the x pole and one outside so its very narrow with no real spread as I expect that would make you nervous. then you will know that the straight bar is only a coupls of inches higher than the x and can get used to jumping it. that way will also mean you can put up the straight bar but still have the x so that the horse does not get too close to it and have an uncomfortable jump

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Start with a x then make it the smallest upright you can or even put a pole on the ground only first and trot into it and you'll soon get your confidence up. :)

Equi

Visit site
No reason to be nervous with my lad, ive seen him jumping straights the exact same as x poles. Its just all in MY head. I don't even know why cause i have never had a horse thats cat leaped a jump. The x pole above was during our first "show" and i wanted them smaller but they were like "we literally CANT put them smaller" ahah! So i just had to go for it and wasn't really thinking about my nerves.

I'll try a pole on the floor and maybe try a few more cavalettis, which are terrifying. Hes got to the point though smallest possible jumps are just boring and he just doesn't bother anymore - my fault i know. Hes a flying machine with his better jumper sharer.

be positive

Visit site
Are you happy cantering over a row of poles on the ground? that can give you a real sense of the stride and jump without the actual jump being there, once you can confidently do a line of 5 poles then put the last to a x and come in the same as you were, build up to doing more small x poles within the line and then start to put the last one up either as a bigger x or a straight, it is amazing how much you can do when the stride pattern is set up for you so you can literally leave the horse alone.

I am helping a girl who is loaning one of my liveries, a few weeks ago she was terrified of a raised pole and would not even attempt a tiny x but with gradually building the canter pole x pole combinations she is now relatively happy popping two in a row and a tiny straight, the pony is a star who like yours is a really good confidence giver.

Natch

Visit site
If you're happiest with X poles then carry on with them :) you can inch them up bit by bit then introduce straight bars at the height of the lowest part of the X, as you will have been jumping higher than that - or lower than it, if that's what you can cope with mentally.

One thing that has helped me as a nervous nellie is remembering that 3 inches (the standard difference in hole height on a wing) is really insignificant to a horse, and he will jump it just the same as the previous hole :) That and practice little and often until you're bored at a certain height and want to go higher for fun - that day will come, just don't put pressure on yourself and set about to enjoy yourself :)

Equi

Visit site
Are you happy cantering over a row of poles on the ground? that can give you a real sense of the stride and jump without the actual jump being there, once you can confidently do a line of 5 poles then put the last to a x and come in the same as you were, build up to doing more small x poles within the line and then start to put the last one up either as a bigger x or a straight, it is amazing how much you can do when the stride pattern is set up for you so you can literally leave the horse alone.

I am helping a girl who is loaning one of my liveries, a few weeks ago she was terrified of a raised pole and would not even attempt a tiny x but with gradually building the canter pole x pole combinations she is now relatively happy popping two in a row and a tiny straight, the pony is a star who like yours is a really good confidence giver.

I've cantered one pole, never anymore. Thats scary!!!!! I imagine the horse either doing a massive leap over them all, stopping dead and i go flying, or tripping. Again, i've seen my horse canter umpteen canter poles and know he doesn't do any of the above. Maybe something to try in my lesson on wednesday.

If you're happiest with X poles then carry on with them :) you can inch them up bit by bit then introduce straight bars at the height of the lowest part of the X, as you will have been jumping higher than that - or lower than it, if that's what you can cope with mentally.

One thing that has helped me as a nervous nellie is remembering that 3 inches (the standard difference in hole height on a wing) is really insignificant to a horse, and he will jump it just the same as the previous hole :) That and practice little and often until you're bored at a certain height and want to go higher for fun - that day will come, just don't put pressure on yourself and set about to enjoy yourself :)

Thats really good to know! Ive been jumping piddlers my whole life (apart from those interim teenage years when full barrels from stand still were acceptable) and never got the urge to go higher haha. I DO like it when i do one and i will attempt it again and again until im or horse is done, but next ride im right back to the same OMG feeling. Jumping really has always been my nemisis - i had to take remedial classes at riding school cause i got to a point i was unable to keep up with the class jumping, but more than capable riding.

Its something ive always swore i would get over. I want to go to a XC course, just a go as you please with every size jump, but i want to at least have the nerve to attempt the smallest ones!

be positive

Visit site
I've cantered one pole, never anymore. Thats scary!!!!! I imagine the horse either doing a massive leap over them all, stopping dead and i go flying, or tripping. Again, i've seen my horse canter umpteen canter poles and know he doesn't do any of the above. Maybe something to try in my lesson on wednesday.

Thats really good to know! Ive been jumping piddlers my whole life (apart from those interim teenage years when full barrels from stand still were acceptable) and never got the urge to go higher haha. I DO like it when i do one and i will attempt it again and again until im or horse is done, but next ride im right back to the same OMG feeling. Jumping really has always been my nemisis - i had to take remedial classes at riding school cause i got to a point i was unable to keep up with the class jumping, but more than capable riding.

Its something ive always swore i would get over. I want to go to a XC course, just a go as you please with every size jump, but i want to at least have the nerve to attempt the smallest ones!

If you cannot canter over a row of poles without feeling scared how are you going to feel coming into two fences at a related distance, the horse will not do a massive leap if they are set up correctly, they could trip but rarely do and the feeling you get of them bouncing through is amazing, a real sense of controlled power, give it a go, the girl here now really enjoys the polework, she is still not 100% convinced about jumping but is getting more comfortable.

Myloubylou

Visit site
X poles are more inviting but I think some horses jumps the height at the wings making jump feel higher than expected. Straight poles under 2'3" feel no bigger than smaller though look bigger to us if that makes sense. You are more ready for the jump. It helped me looking at jumps I did to realise my horse was clearing by at least a foot. Also I can jump a 2' jump myself so really not a problem for my horse. Took a long time to get braver though. Cross pole with straight pole on top is still inviting as something to aim for.

Equi

Visit site
If you cannot canter over a row of poles without feeling scared how are you going to feel coming into two fences at a related distance, the horse will not do a massive leap if they are set up correctly, they could trip but rarely do and the feeling you get of them bouncing through is amazing, a real sense of controlled power, give it a go, the girl here now really enjoys the polework, she is still not 100% convinced about jumping but is getting more comfortable.

See thats the thing, i feel more scared at the thought of cantering poles than i do at my little piddle x poles in a double. yes a double in trot, so not a bounce really. But its something i would like to do too lol

Equi

Visit site
X poles are more inviting but I think some horses jumps the height at the wings making jump feel higher than expected. Straight poles under 2'3" feel no bigger than smaller though look bigger to us if that makes sense. You are more ready for the jump. It helped me looking at jumps I did to realise my horse was clearing by at least a foot. Also I can jump a 2' jump myself so really not a problem for my horse. Took a long time to get braver though. Cross pole with straight pole on top is still inviting as something to aim for.

Ill give it a go and see what happens :)

SpringArising

Visit site
I think you need to work on your balance because that's what will make you feel more secure. If you feel like you'll be flung off at the slightest unexpected movement then you're bound to be nervous.

Are you balanced in canter? That's where you need to start. Then try cantering over one pole, and work up to a course of them.

Looking at the pic you need to work on getting your lower leg stable, which will stop you from tipping forwards too.

Keep practicing and doing lots of canter exercises!

Natch

Visit site
Multiple canter poles are fun, they go pingy pingy pingy but not in a frightening way :) you could start with odd poles out and just having a fun trot then canter around.
Working on shortening and lengthening his canter stride will also help you get a feel for it :)

Have you got a helper who can put the fence up a smidge after you've done it a few times? And is your instructor helping you with this?

The first time my current instructor put up a small x pole for me I burst into tears. It's about 18-20 months since then and I've just jumped a course of 80cm (about 2ft 8) showjumps and did my first one day event this summer. The right instructor makes a hell of a lot of difference, as does a lot of the coaching and relaxation techniques I learnt on a coaching course the previous year. I don't want to get a slapped bum for advertising but I do offer confidence coaching over the phone if you think that might help you then pm me.

I totally hear you on the wanting to achieve that goal on the xc fences. Mine was I had to get around a 2ft6 course just once well enough to pass my stage 2, then I never needed to jump ever again. I spent the best part of 30 years scared if jumping. I passed st 2 last October, and I now have my sights set on stage 3... It's totally possible to tackle a real fear of jumping - believe me I've got the t-shirt! Xxx

Equi

Visit site
I think you need to work on your balance because that's what will make you feel more secure. If you feel like you'll be flung off at the slightest unexpected movement then you're bound to be nervous.

Are you balanced in canter? That's where you need to start. Then try cantering over one pole, and work up to a course of them.

Looking at the pic you need to work on getting your lower leg stable, which will stop you from tipping forwards too.

Keep practicing and doing lots of canter exercises!

Im generally quite balanced, but tbf the pic was the biggest i had jumped in 10 years maybe?!?!!?! hahaha and honestly i was not unseated i was balanced on landing. I just get so god damn scared i go into the fetal position.

Multiple canter poles are fun, they go pingy pingy pingy but not in a frightening way :) you could start with odd poles out and just having a fun trot then canter around.
Working on shortening and lengthening his canter stride will also help you get a feel for it :)

Have you got a helper who can put the fence up a smidge after you've done it a few times? And is your instructor helping you with this?

The first time my current instructor put up a small x pole for me I burst into tears. It's about 18-20 months since then and I've just jumped a course of 80cm (about 2ft 8) showjumps and did my first one day event this summer. The right instructor makes a hell of a lot of difference, as does a lot of the coaching and relaxation techniques I learnt on a coaching course the previous year. I don't want to get a slapped bum for advertising but I do offer confidence coaching over the phone if you think that might help you then pm me.

I totally hear you on the wanting to achieve that goal on the xc fences. Mine was I had to get around a 2ft6 course just once well enough to pass my stage 2, then I never needed to jump ever again. I spent the best part of 30 years scared if jumping. I passed st 2 last October, and I now have my sights set on stage 3... It's totally possible to tackle a real fear of jumping - believe me I've got the t-shirt! Xxx

There is mostly always people about, i just get embarrassed when it all goes wrong. My instructor is great, but needs to be ever so slightly more pushy. My last instructor was an 18yo girl who really got me going but shes not available anymore.

My horse does have some limitations now, so cantering a course won't be on my to do list, but cantering jumps will be.

One thing i always find i do is i cling to the neck strap too much, so i end up either loosing contact or pull up without meaning to. I know my horse won't go without reins, if you drop the contact too much he stops. Without the neck strap im afraid of hauling his mouth. Tips?

Myloubylou

Visit site
In the pic you posted you look to be doing what I used to, and what I still do when unsure, adopt forward position as if the jump was 4'! My instructor got me to canter over tiny cross poles as if was going large i.e. bum to remain in saddle at all times. Canter stride feels a bit bigger but until you go over 2' no reason to actually get that much out of the saddle. Leaning forwards actually encourages my mare to take a flyer. You'll feel more secure & confident in no time, trot is good when you need to be steady & in control i.e. When horse not sure of a jump but nice steady canter feels smoother. Good luck!

Equi

Visit site
If he's got some mane (can't tell from that photo whether he's hogged or it just falls to the other side) you could grab hold of that?

Hes in plaits in the pic, but short fine mane. Its on the grow though!

In the pic you posted you look to be doing what I used to, and what I still do when unsure, adopt forward position as if the jump was 4'! My instructor got me to canter over tiny cross poles as if was going large i.e. bum to remain in saddle at all times. Canter stride feels a bit bigger but until you go over 2' no reason to actually get that much out of the saddle. Leaning forwards actually encourages my mare to take a flyer. You'll feel more secure & confident in no time, trot is good when you need to be steady & in control i.e. When horse not sure of a jump but nice steady canter feels smoother. Good luck!

Yup thats exactly what i do. Bad training. I lift over poles too. Just such a bad habit!

Natch

Visit site
In that case, ask your instructor to be ever so slightly more ambitious with you. Re-contract the relationship :)

Equi

Visit site
Haha yes I lived! He did leap the first one but I know he does that and it's not like a cat leap he was just too fast. So we were able to collect a bit. It was quite a work out for him but at least it's something I can work on.

Toffee_monster

Visit site
See thats the thing, i feel more scared at the thought of cantering poles than i do at my little piddle x poles in a double.

OP what you are describing is was me to a T !! I could happily trot in jumps but even cantering into a pole on the ground put the fear of god into me. I don't know why it started apart from the fact that I hadn't jumped for many years and whenever I fell off it was always from jumping. I see a stride far too easily and panic if it's wrong.

I got myself out of it by putting random poles in the arena when we were schooling and when I had a really nice canter I just happened to present him to the pole and pretended like it wasn't there. I soon realised that my boy is pretty sensible and doesn't take off on a silly stride or charge at the jump, so I started to believe in Badger and myself a bit more.

Were now jumping decent size jumps (for me anyway LOL) from canter with the occasional trot if I'm worried at all
attachment.php

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Have you considered a confidence course or NLP?

I was honestly at the point I was so nervous about riding my horse as we'd been through a fair bit together (long story, but to say he wasn't as advertised is fair).

I had NLP on the off chance it might help - honestly, it's changed my riding & horsey life.

I've gone from not really enjoying even trotting (horse had a history of running off) to not enjoying hacking, even at a walk. Pole work or jumping was an absolute no-go - I didn't even want to jump after a nasty accident years ago as a teenager.

Well, horse & I now love hacking & are out for miles at a time in trot, canter and we love a good gallop. I've even reintroduced jumping afer years and years of swearing I'd never jump again we are popping over courses of X poles, spreads, doubles and fillers.

Don't get me wrong, they are still small & I don't want to suddeny go hunting or 'owt - but I certainly never thought I'd be willingly jumping & enjoying it!

Equi

Visit site
Toffee that jump is positively terrifying!!!!!! Well done haha

Muddy, it's taken me a year and a half to get to where I am now. I had a few bad experiences and my confidence was so low even going on a trek made me sick and so nervous I would cry. I now do everything in the arena and hack solo and been to a show and beach and am loving horses again - now it's time to crack jumping. I've never been a jumper and never really liked the thought of it, but that rush of endorphins I get when I do jump makes me want to try and get it.

I no longer make aims for myself with riding, I do what I do when I do - but I "hope" to go to a go as you please xc next year or maybe a hunt hack and I need to be ready for it :) if I don't I don't. No pressure :)

tatty_v

Visit site
My pony always over-jumps cross poles - I've learnt to love the straights as at least he's less likely to take me by surprise! Weirdly I also prefer a small spread - I feel like he jumps them smoother than the "up-down" motion of an upright. I totally sympathise with the lack of confidence but still wanting to do it. My nerves crippled me so much once I dropped the reins and threatened to get off in the middle of a clear round because it just all felt too fast and overwhelming! I'm getting better - I try and jump once a week so it becomes less of a "thing" and I focus very much on the approach and the rideaway rather than the jump itself. The other day we flew over 85cm because I was concentrating on getting a bouncy canter on the approach and landing on the right leg so much that I never looked at the height! x