X-ray costs Surrey

flying_high

Visit site
Hi,

How much would you expect to pay for vet call out, and taking of 4 x-ray plates with shoes on? I am surprised by my bill. I am in Surrey. The call out part was £37.5. I assisted and wore the radiographers gown to do so. No sedation, horse not difficult. The process took under 20 minutes start to finish included getting all cables plugged in, and packing away.

There was no exam fee as no examination, as the horse was having x-rays for farrier rather than for lameness.

Particularly interested to hear from people in Surrey! Or Home Counties

How much would you expect total bill to be? Particularly interested to hear from people in Surrey!

Thanks

F_H

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
Call out, bring machine, 4 plates, a bit of sedation, assume not further examined/assessed 250 ish.

ETA - just checked a recent bill for you - £148 to X-ray. £18 a plate. That includes VAT. Excludes call out/sedation. I get a 10% discount on anything so came in a little cheaper

Last edited:

LaurenBay

Visit site
Mine was around £500. I did get this down to £250 though as that is what he quoted me before doing it.

Allykat

Visit site
Mine was around £500. I did get this down to £250 though as that is what he quoted me before doing it.

Blimey! I took mine to the vets for work up and had an examination, 4 xrays, scan, 2 lots of sedation and a shockwave treatment and that only came to £650! I think the x-ray part came in around £230 ish including vat if I remember. Where did they get £500 from?

LaurenBay

Visit site
No idea, he had a bit of an argument over it.

I asked before the x rays for a rough estimate including call out and sedation and he said around the £250 mark. I called the office and confirmed the price with them and booked in. Had the X - rays done and then my bill came for just short of £500. Called the practice to query it and they told me that vets aren't allowed to give quotes on the job, ok but thats not my fault. In the end I told them to listen back to the call of when I booked as I mentioned the price then and they didn't correct it. They called me back 10 mins later and asked me to pay £250.

chaps89

Visit site
Crikey! My vets do 'farrier plates' which is a front on and side on view for each foot and from memory last year it was less than £200 all in - 1 vet, 1 vet nurse, portable x-ray machine, call out, possibly quite a bit less but I can't quite remember so would rather over estimate.
ETS- and that's in Surrey :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
£310.85p in Cheshire including a lameness examination from a major equine vet practice with a horsepital. The practice charges are considered to be expensive for the area. I was expecting the bill to be much higher.

Vet and vet nurse, no sedation, 6 plates.

Call out £47.03
Examination £37.88
First plate £86.56
Further 5 plates £139.38

Last edited:

Archangel

Visit site
This is Surrey. Vet only, I acted as assistant, no shoes.

All inc VAT
Visit £48.61
Extended consultation £53.44
Yard set up and 1st plate £144.06
2 extra plates £89.90

So in total £336.01

Flyermc

Visit site
i paid £162

visit and administration - £25
xray examination - £70
2 extra plates - £20 (each)

total including VAT £162.00 (this was from Oct last year)

Flyermc

Visit site
Hi,

How much would you expect to pay for vet call out, and taking of 4 x-ray plates with shoes on? I am surprised by my bill. I am in Surrey. The call out part was £37.5. I assisted and wore the radiographers gown to do so. No sedation, horse not difficult. The process took under 20 minutes start to finish included getting all cables plugged in, and packing away.

There was no exam fee as no examination, as the horse was having x-rays for farrier rather than for lameness.

Particularly interested to hear from people in Surrey! Or Home Counties

How much would you expect total bill to be? Particularly interested to hear from people in Surrey!

Thanks

F_H

what did you get charged?