XC Boots - PE, Le Mieux, Dalmar, Equilibrium, other?

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
As Christmas is coming up I thought I'd have a look at some decent XC boots. Have a budget of around £120 for a full set, though can go slightly over for the right boots.

I like the look of all boots in the title but what would the wise ones of H&H recommend? I'm leaning away from Equilibrium as I've got a pair of their tendon boots and am not massively impressed.

NaeNae87

Visit site
I love my Premier Equine ones. I have a full set of the Air Cooled Original Eventing boots in black.

They are super easy to clean (I chuck them in the washing machine in a bra bag) and look great. I use the exact same medium sized set on my 16hh OTTB and my 14.2hh Andalusian X TB X Riding Pony. They fit really well and I haven't had any problems with slipping or rubbing.

The service I got from PEI was great too. I ordered the boots on a Thursday and they were delivered to Perth, Western Australia within a week (which is almost unheard of as post is so slow here).

popsdosh

Visit site
Never ever Dalmar!!!!!

Prolite Prolite Prolite every time very easy to keep clean and robust. The fact they have been about for years with hardly any change says a lot to me! but wont suit the fashionistas of this world though.

Last edited:

LeannePip

Visit site
I had a set of PE and they were great and defiantly saved my horses legs on more than one occasion! however they only really fitted when i hadn't clipped her mamouthley hairy legs so most of the year they slipped and twisted! then bought a pair of the LeMieux and they fit perfectly haven't slipped or twisted, have hunted in them several times didn't move/ rub - no complaints about them!

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
Why not Dalmar, out of interest?

I'm not overly keen on the Prolites as have read a few people saying they're really bad for heating up tendons - is this true or am I just being over-cautious?

The list is provisionally down to LeM and PE, I'm half tempted to buy one pair for 'home' and one pair for competing but think that might be a bit ridiculous :p.

Edit: Feather isn't much of a problem as my cob is more like a TB and I've cut her scrappy feather off ;).

lottiepony

Visit site
Just to chuck another make into the mix have you look at the New Equine Wear ones? I've got the Lite XC boots have had them over 8 years and they still look as good as new and are a lovely fit. I do also rate prolite - all the hunters on a yard i used to work at wore them.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I like my Premier Equine ones but it seems to me that they fit skinny legs better. They are great on my tbs but didn't sit well on my friends horse that had shorter thicker cannon bones.

wench

Visit site
Apollo air xc boots are good I have some of their older style boots and very happy with them. I bought some new prolites, they were a total waste of money. Faded and started falling apart within a few wears, prolite weren't interested.

I've used PE successfully before. Did slip on one of my horses though, but not the other.

I'm currently using my apollo air on the front for xc, and a pair of old style prolites on the back. (Purchased for £20 in as new condition from eBay!)

Charlotte125

Visit site
I love love love my ecogold xc boots and wouldn't use anything else now. Wash well, never move, lovely and soft and look good.
Premier equine slipped and twisted on my horse, quite like NEW light xc boots but they are a bit battered now after 7 years of use.

frazzled

Visit site
Eco gold, absolutely brilliant. Never move a millimetre and provide fantastic soft flexible protection. Would never use anything else. Look up online there is a brilliant video of someone testing them with an axe. I think it's called three days three ways.

Last edited:

LeannePip

Visit site
Why not Dalmar, out of interest?

I'm not overly keen on the Prolites as have read a few people saying they're really bad for heating up tendons - is this true or am I just being over-cautious?

The list is provisionally down to LeM and PE, I'm half tempted to buy one pair for 'home' and one pair for competing but think that might be a bit ridiculous :p.

Edit: Feather isn't much of a problem as my cob is more like a TB and I've cut her scrappy feather off ;).

i would say if you are narrowing it down to those two, to see if you can try a pair for size first - they fit very differently! i had cob in both makes the LeM fit my thin legged 15.2 cob perfectly the PE now fit my friends 16.3 WBxID!

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
Just to chuck another make into the mix have you look at the New Equine Wear ones? I've got the Lite XC boots have had them over 8 years and they still look as good as new and are a lovely fit. I do also rate prolite - all the hunters on a yard i used to work at wore them.

Oooh, they look nice! Thanks :).

I love love love my ecogold xc boots and wouldn't use anything else now. Wash well, never move, lovely and soft and look good.
Premier equine slipped and twisted on my horse, quite like NEW light xc boots but they are a bit battered now after 7 years of use.

Quite a lot of people are saying that the PE's twisted, I'm starting to go off the idea.

Eco gold, absolutely brilliant. Never move a millimetre and provide fantastic soft flexible protection. Would never use anything else. Look up online there is a brilliant video of someone testing them with an axe. I think it's called three days three ways.

That video is scary! They look really good though.

i would say if you are narrowing it down to those two, to see if you can try a pair for size first - they fit very differently! i had cob in both makes the LeM fit my thin legged 15.2 cob perfectly the PE now fit my friends 16.3 WBxID!

I think that's PE eliminated then :p. Unfortunately I've got my own field and try to avoid the horsey scene round here due to some people so won't be able to try any on.

Current list is LeM, EcoGold, and NEW (it has somehow managed to get longer, haha!). Thinking about having LeM's for every day and one of the other pairs for comps, though will have to hide them from OH.

philamena

Visit site
IME the PEs can rub because of the structure of the edges so I've given up on those. The lemieux stealth haven't rubbed and don't budge, so have been fab in that respect, though aren't really cooling. I use them behind. Just about to try woof smart event boots for fronts, which have nice soft edges, nice solid strike protection and air vents so hoping they do the trick!

Dowjones

Visit site
LeMieux for me. Theyre lovely and light and breathable and have saved OHs horses legs on numerous occasions without rubbing or twisting

alwaysbroke

Visit site
LeMieux for me too, would love the Ecogold but finances don't allow. have two pairs of LeM, in different sizes for different horses, fit really well, light and don't budge, one pair slightly unstitched around the edge (stitching looked too close to the edge) after the first use, but had no problems getting them replaced.

NU ABO

Visit site
I have PE for mine and I'm very very happy with them. He's got quite sturdy legs (as he's an ID x Conn), but I got him the Air-Cooled Super Lites on Front and Original Air Cooled on back, the fronts fit slightly better than the backs, but still impressed with them, kept his legs nice and cool and protected and PEI's customer service was brilliant!

All that said, I looked hard into getting the LeMieux's as well (and I might still get some as a back-up set) and I have about an even number of people recommend one over the other, eventually I swayed towards the PE's because they were on sale at the time!

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
I have the Equilibrium ones, I don't use them for XC as we don't do it but use them for hacking, schooling and turnout. I love them because they are the coolest boots I have found, heat is bad for tendons so the cooler you can keep them the better.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have the Equilibrium ones, I don't use them for XC as we don't do it but use them for hacking, schooling and turnout. I love them because they are the coolest boots I have found, heat is bad for tendons so the cooler you can keep them the better.

This. I dont trust the carbon fibre shield as much as I used to as I once had one shatter in a Prolite and the tendon was damaged in Cahrlie Horse. The shattered bits were sharp. The Equlibrium have tough plastic, and huge holes for air right round. They don't get bogged down with water as the water drains straight out. For bigger tracks I use these behind, but still a carbon shield in front, either Prolite or Dalmar. I KNOW I don't trust the carbon shield, but I then feel I have done my best. Nonsensical I know. So, most of the time Equlibrium, bigger courses the others!

TeamChaser

Visit site
Dalmar for me. Lockie has been wearing current set (front and back) team chasing spring and autumn seasons for last 3 years so they've had some wear and still good as new. Easy to put on, never twist or slip, never rub (and we've been through all sorts of ground and water combinations) and legs don't get too hot. I just dunk them in bucket of water when we finish and sponge off mud and hang in string bag they came in to dry. Love them

wench

Visit site
The different brands seem to come in slightly different fittings, and different brands seem to suit different horses.

philamena

Visit site
Used my new woof smart event boots in front for arena eventing today, and v impressed. All the edges are properly soft so no rubbing, big soft area behind the knee so no risk of digging in, didn't budge and legs good and cool :)

LouisCat

Visit site
This is a link to a previous thread about shattering Dalmars. http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?454535-Dalmar-Eventing-Boots/page2

I have PEs and they're great. My ex racer smashed his back legs on a telegraph pole xc fence so hard he broke the cannon guard. It was a very clean break and I don't think there was any chance of them injuring him. I rang PE the next day (Monday) and I had a new rear set in the post by Friday :) They're great!

only_me

Visit site
I have dalmars for behind and they are great - never move, twist or slip and would buy again. Plus they don't hold water!

I have eskadron xc boots in front (didn't need to replace these when buying new ones for horse) and they have lasted really well - again they don't move slip or twist and wash really well. I have had them for at least 7 years and they are used everytime we go xc and have had a lot of abuse. And they still look great now!

I wouldn't use prolite, i find they slip and don't really offer much protection compared to what i am using at present :)

BellaContessa

Visit site
I love my premier equine boots, fit really well on both my WBx who has quite chunky legs and my ex-racehorse who has really fine bone. Have never had any problems with them slipping/rubbing on either of them. Easy to clean and great customer service from the company! I also have the premier equine kevlar tendon and fetlock boots for my TB and love them too!

stevieg

Visit site
Heard scary things about Dalmar so have tended to avoid them.
Have used NEW in the past without any problems and currently using Prolite.

smja

Visit site
Le Mieux for me. Horse really doesn't like anything too rigid, and previous soft-ish boots were slipping. These fit really well, don't hold water, aren't too stiff but still provide decent protection. And easily washable!