XC Fences changed after course walk

Lola43

Visit site
My daughter competed in her first ever HT on Sunday in an 80 class - publicised as being run under PC rules. We walked the course on Saturday afternoon and on Sunday she had a lovely clear round in a good time, so we were thrilled and thought there was a realistic prospect of a place. However, when the results were published two days later on FB, we saw my daughter had eliminated for error of course. Whilst she had jumped the course as we had seen it, at some unspecified time after we had walked the course someone obviously spotted that a jump was wrongly numbered and it was changed. One other girl was caught out in the same way, but it seems everyone else knew of the change and I honestly don't know how. There was no mention of it at registration/hat check/tack check/warm up/or start, so I can only assume that the PC grapevine spread the information word of mouth but it didn't get to us. I understand these events are run by volunteers - I fence judge and dressage write myself at BE events - and understand mistakes happen, but surely once you've realised the mistake it really wouldn't be too difficult to make absolutely sure everyone knows about any changes? Does this sort of thing happen a lot?

mcnaughty

Visit site
That is rediculous - when you picked up your number you should have been told and a large notice would have helped too. I'd ask for my money back!

teddypops

Visit site
Could it not have been the case that your daughter did actually go wrong? The last hunter trials I did, there was a dad going on about how his daughter walked the course and jumped the exact course she had walked and was numbered, but got eliminated for error of course. He was claiming the number must have been changed and he was going to demand a refund etc etc but she was the only person out of a class of 25 that this had happened to, so was clearly her error.

Lola43

Visit site
No, have just heard that after review my daughter has been reinstated, so definitely their error. However, is this something to watch out for in the future, or is it a one-off?

SusieT

Visit site
Always wait for results if the placing matters - then you can discus/challenge it on the day so any litle inconsistencies can be ironed out.Eveen if it does take two hours -wait!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
it seems everyone else knew of the change and I honestly don't know how.

Is it possible that alot of people didn't walk the course the day before but on the day so after the error on the course had been spotted and rectified? At the local HTs that I've been to seem to be more people studying the plan and walking the course on the day.

There are even very conscientious people that walk it more than once.