xc - landing on a slope/drop fence

littlefluffball

Visit site
The drop fence if that makes sense are now the only style (I think) I haven't had a chance to jump/practice on and are now the only ones causing me concern (I am doing a local XC on Sunday)

I am just doing the novice round so jumps are not big, neither is the drop (I hope/am told) but the little pony I am taking round does have a big jump and it is playing on my mind. Any tips other than sit back and grab some mane????

paddi22

Visit site
just take your time down it.. you can slow to walk and let the pony drop its fronts first and then the hind, they don't need to launch off it. and look ito the distance and keep your head up, and that will help your balance..
enjoy the day!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Best advice I had for a baby is to slip the reins a bit longer as you trot to the drop (walking is fine too). That way if they do something random he will have room to sort it out and you can still sit back.

Also, it can help to think of drops as being the second half of a normal jump. You have already completed the 'up' part so only have the 'down' to do!

littlefluffball

Visit site
Thanks guys

I have a problem with keeping my right heel down so my instructor has been drumming it into me! Knees down eyes up! I am getting more and more excited about it now

MissP

Visit site
I'd not grab the mane. It will tip you forward. U need to be very upright - it will feel as though u are every backwards. And yes look up, think a lego man!

littlefluffball

Visit site
Ah good point about the mane! I am so conscious of avoiding pulling the mouth my mane is my fail safe but what you say makes sense. It is a very low level course so the drop is really nothing major - but still new to me. We all have to start somewhere :)

j1ffy

Visit site
Lots of good tips above from more experienced people than me! Just to add that I find a neck strap is useful for drops - it’s usually a bit longer than a mane so it won’t pull you forward and helps avoid jabbing the horse in the mouth.

Good luck and have fun!!

littlefluffball

Visit site
Thanks Jiffy. my instructor always puts a neckstrap on but for some reason I never utilise it! I always go for the mane first! I have another two lessons in beofre the course on Sunday so I am going to make a point of trying to use the neckstrap when needed so I get into the habit of knowing its there!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I did my first drop fence on a course and it terrified me. But when it actually happened I honestly didn't even notice it. Look up/ahead, sit back, slip reins a little and it will be fine. I agree don't grab mane. If you are out of balance down a drop the mane won't help and if you stay in balance you won't need it! And grabbing mane is more likely to make you tip forward and be out of balance.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Well done, that's great!

I was reading this thinking... I always grab mane, and it never tips ME forward.

Then I remembered we have a lot more mane than most folk!

17725_356844107857975_8896325523293454125_n.png

(V. old photo. Before anyone decides to comment on the saddle / pony / etc)