XC, no boots? Over reach boots behind?

abbijay

Visit site
Just a musing but does anyone on here not boot up for XC?
I'm taking my beloved BP round his first XC since coming back form injury later this month and can't decide whether it's worth booting up for. We're only pootling round the 70cm course which we've happily schooled round without boots. He has elephant legs with more feathers than an average emu.
My main concern is that I could cause more issues by adding boots in terms of compression points or overheating them than he risks from taking a slight bump on his way round. I have the biggest boots I can get but they're still on the small side.
He will be wearing over reaches in front as he does occasionally overreach as he tires.
I'm also considering putting over reaches on his hind legs as he is incredibly close behind and he has on previously caught himself on the inside of his pastern.

be positive

Visit site
I would certainly take a full feathered cobby type round a 70 course without any boots, the overreach ones if required should be sufficient along with his natural protection, I would expect them to clear 70cm without knocking anything, if he catches his pastern a pastern wrap would be better than overreach boots which may cause problems if he catches it.

http://www.redpostequestrian.co.uk/...currency=GBP&gclid=CIGdncG98M4CFcIK0wodjdwCqg

Llee94

Visit site
I wouldn't jump without at least a set of front boots on with strike guards. My mare had to have a year off after she struck into herself whilst going xc schooling even though she had brushing boots on. It is just not worth the risk in my opinion. You can always just put on a set of cheap tendon boots, so long as they have some sort of guard behind to stop knocks.
Booting behind is personal preference. I don't boot behind for showjumping but I do for xc as I have come back a few times with smashed strike guards and I dread to think what would have happened to her legs had she not had them on!

abbijay

Visit site
I would certainly take a full feathered cobby type round a 70 course without any boots, the overreach ones if required should be sufficient along with his natural protection, I would expect them to clear 70cm without knocking anything, if he catches his pastern a pastern wrap would be better than overreach boots which may cause problems if he catches it.

http://www.redpostequestrian.co.uk/...&kwd=¤cy=GBP&gclid=CIGdncG98M4CFcIK0wodjdwCqg

I do have a pair of pastern wraps but it takes 2 boots to fit each leg! And it tends to be right at the bottom of his pastern, almost on his coronet band so not really covered by a pastern wrap but covered by an over reach boot. In what way could they cause him problems if he caught them?
attachment.php

Gratuitous picture just to give you the scale of the elephant legs.

Also, I have never found tendon boots or proper XC boots to fit him. We only have the choice of sports boots or brushing boots!

Nappy Croc

Visit site
I wouldn't boot him- more risk of poorly fitting (or just feathers moving) boots tripping him up! I over reach boot behind so wouldn't hesitate to do that if you think he might stand on himself :)

MissTyc

Visit site
I don't boot my barefoot fully feathered cob for XC up to about 90 for schooling. Also don't boot him for hunting as the mud doesn't help!

MY spider-legs mare on the other hand ...

Kylara

Visit site
Boots are tricky. I pop overreach boots on when xc even if doesn't overreach. Simply because overreach injuries can be nasty and xc ground and speed can easily cause overreaching. Other boots, for the cob pony I pop front brushers on but last time there wasn't a strike on them. Imo it's better safe than sorry but he doesn't have feathers (trimmed).
Non cobs get boots all round and overreach.

Driving our fair don't brush and only rarely overreach but they get a full set of boots and overreach for marathon. Mainly for the obstacles as so many legs flying round tight corners it makes total sense, even though ours never normally damage themselves. We have come back from quite a few marathons and obstacles with little gouges on the brushers when we'veade extra tight turns at dish speed!

With feathers I think less to worry about as quite protected and a boot is hard to fit and can get shifted if there are lots of feathers and nothing worse than a twisted uncomfortable boot!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Personally Id always fully boot all round as you can get some nasty injuries XC, even over small fences. Not worth the risk IMO, but I would ensure I got boots which fitted well - there must be some out there that would. Im of the opinion that actually the cobby or nativey types can catch themselves worse as they're sometimes a bit more clumsy.

catroo

Visit site
Try a sausage boot behind, should cover the bit you need

I wouldn't boot those legs unless clipped and with well fitted boots. Risks of rubbing/over heating outweigh the possible risk of knocks for me