XC schooling, an injury & a question re overreach boots?

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Managed to get out to our first cross country schooling in the form of a clinic at Pontispool with Caroline Creighton. Although Pip has run once successfully at novice we are now aiming at our first intermediate and need all the help we can get :cool:

We were in the first group at 9.30am so we rolled out the yard at 6am - no bank holiday lie in :mad: It was quite a mixed group but Caroline is very good at setting different exercises for different people. Warmed up in the school practising jumping simple fences from a more forward stride.

DSC_0020_zps78223682.jpg

Then out onto XC Pip was a bit non plussed by starting over some real baby fences but once the bigger ones were introduced she started really jumping!

DSC_0035_zps2dc3d439.jpg

DSC_0039_zps4b3415c6.jpg

The waters she enjoyed and is tackling sensibly and boldly now.
DSC_0046_zps2b2dfce3.jpg

DSC_0098_zpsc42b5561.jpg

We then jumped some serious Intermediate type fences including a large brush bounce, quarry combination and a very tricky double of elephant feet (pic below) Really pleased how she tackled these, were big fences on a mound which were very skinny particularly (made worse by the lack of flags) she jumped me out the plate over the first but despite long reins stayed true and straight to the second one :D As a horse that never used to lock on I was so pleased with this. (See video also)

DSC_0103_zps5628dfa2.jpg

DSC_0113_zps85096dad.jpg

Video of the bits including the bounce and double mentioned above :cool:

[youtube]URjbEMOFzGg[/youtube]

Sadly however during the session Pip quite badly cut into the outside of the front coronet band and hoof.

injury_zps9e59a0ed.jpg

Cleaned up to this

Injury2_zpsfd34efc3.jpg

So on returning home having well hosed and bandaged at Pontispool I had another look and decided it wouldn't wait for the next working day and a Bank Holiday vet call out required! :eek: The vet has cut away the sliced open hoof to leave a bit of a bloody hole but this should harden fairly quickly. The cut in the coronet band although deep did not need stitching so she is bandaged up and drugged up. The vet is hoping she will be back in work in 10-14 days but will know more next Monday. It is just under 3 weeks until our Novice prep run at Solihull and then 4 weeks to the intermediate at Bicton so cutting things tight. If she is not in full work by the weekend after next then will need a rethink.

I don't use over reach boots, Sarnie is allergic to them and Pip had a fall in water 18 months ago which could have been caused by standing on a boot. On the other hand if she had them on at Pontispool then this injury would have been avoided. Whatever I will have to use them while she is healing.

What is everyone's thoughts? Can anyone recommend a really short pair that will cover the coronet band and protect the delicate hoof yet not be easy to trip on? Are you for or against using them generally??

Last edited:

philamena

Visit site
She's so gorgeous, every pic looks so pingy!

I use cheapo ones but cut them short with scissors so they're out of harm's way. If it's good enough for Mary King! ;)

TPO

Visit site
Sounds and looks like a successful outing :)

What a shame about the injury. Everything crossed for a speedy recovery so that you can keep on track with plan A.

Re short o/r boots: Mary King uses the rubber pull on ones but cuts the bottom off. They just cover to below the cornet band so offer protection and the trip risk is minimised.

lex2501

Visit site
Wow, she looks absolute class! It all looks so effortless :)

I use the neoprene eskadron overreach boots which are great because they rip if trodden on so there are a few chunks missing from mine but they offer great protection without interfering. Mine are pretty short too!

icestationzebra

Visit site
She was really pinging and looked like she was enjoying every second :D real shame she caught herself :( my mare overreached badly several years ago - not quite as bad as this though... I kept flushing it with warm salt water and it healed surprisingly quickly.

As for boots I have these: http://www.rideaway.co.uk/equilibrium-tri-zone-over-reach-boots
They are very short so hopefully she wouldn't stand on one - that must be a horrible feeling when they dive forward beneath you :(

Fiona

Visit site
The professionals choice OR boots are quite short I feel, the other mare uses the prem equine ones which are longer......

I am very pro OR boots though (probably because have never had a horse trip on one). They do come back from XC with huge gouges out of them though, which says (to me) that they are protecting the hoof underneath...

Pip looking v smart btw :D

Fiona

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
I use material ones which are short and 'hug' the hoof and don't turn. My theory being they don't flap so unlikely to tread on them and if they actually did they would have stood on their foot anyway. Having previously had a horse who destroyed over reach boots as a hobby I won't do any fast or jumping work without them and normally school in them as well

jess_asterix

Visit site
She looks fantastic.

Gutting about the cut and sorry to hear about your mums fall too.

I really like the Dalmar over reach boots and find they work really well.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Really enjoyed your report, photos and vid, but sorry to hear of the injury to your lovely horse.

Ref overreach boots, my horse has to be turned out in these so we have tried all sorts of makes and designs - and prices! I recently bought a new pair of Horze overreach boots and they are great. They are made of nice thick neoprene with double Velcro closure. They are not bound, so you could trim the length if necessary and the soft and thick neoprene would nicely protect the wound site. They cost a little less than £10 so great value.

Good luck and hope she gets up and running again soon!

Nicnac

Visit site
Lovely photos and vid. Well sat too! You can see the injury in the 6th photo - glad it's not too serious.

I have bought the Premier Equine kevlar boots http://www.premierequine.co.uk/acatalog/Kevlar-No-Turn-Over-Reach-Boots-25.html as have a youngster who doesn't always know where his legs are and is incredibly bold.

My thinking is that the velcro will come undone if stepped on with force so less chance of tripping. They don't turn and so far have been really happy with them. I don't like the old fashioned ones though and didn't use them but an over reach is such a nasty injury have ventured over to the dark side.

Hope she heals well and you make your event.

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
She looks brilliant!!!

My mare did a similar injury in a yogi clinic a few years ago however hers was caused by her hoof causing a blunt trauma landing from the fence. She killed a massive chunk of hoof and damaged her coronet band and ended up having a plaster cast as the gap kept over ganulating. And was stopped from jumping till it grew down. Im truely hoping this doesnt happen to pip. I know use think over reach boots my faverates are the trizone ones as they are sort so unlikely to be caught.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Makes it look so effortless, and those are pretty meaty jumps :eek: Fabulous pics too (except the last :eek: hope it heals quickly!)

quizzie

Visit site
Having had a rotational fall some years ago caused by horse standing on overreach boot on take off [(they had a Kevlar outer covering & double velcro....neither of which gave...could see the tread mark afterwards where the inner lining split, but not the Kevlar! )...& I thought I had cut them short enough!!]......I went thro' a phase of using the petal ones (but loathed the flapping noise)....I now use the equilibrium Trizone ones....fit neatly,minimal tread risk, & don't shift.

KatB

Visit site
She looks fantastic! Fingers crossed the overreach clears quickly. I have to use overreaches on madam with her bar shoes, and use the le mieux cheapy ones as you can do them tight enoght to mould to the foot, but offer good protection. They'll also rip before trippig the horse up I reckon. Over reach tape is the other thing that's worth trying. I know Oli Townend uses tape with trimmed boots over the top :)

siennamum

Visit site
Poor Pip and she looks like she is really flying, fingers crossed that heals quickly and she's out and about again.

Sienna brought herself down treading on her O/R boot when taking off, it was absolutely horrible and put her out of action for half a year. The boots were rubber ones with velcro straps. She had always taken large chunks out of the rubber, which really only means that she treads on the rubber when taking off and not that it provides her with any protection IMO, after all what real difference can a couple of milimetres of rubber make.
In this instance I suspect that she trod on the velcro, which of course didn't tear.

I have used O/R boots since, just plain neoprene ones with a strike pad, which don't move and are pretty snug. Not this brand, but like this: http://www.equestrianclearance.com/ekkia/c-s-o-1680d-over-reach-boots/index.html

star

Visit site
lovely piccies. i am pro OR boots. Have been using Professionals Choice ones but they've finally died so just bought some Premier Equine kevlar ones but yet to try them - horse is just about to burst an abscess through his heel :( Guess I'll be needing them while he heels up!

Vickijay

Visit site
She looks lovely. I hope it heals quickly for both of you.

I also have some professionals choice ones and they don't turn, offer good protection and are shorter than some of the others that I have.

What make is her breastplate? It looks really nice and I think I need a new one :rolleyes:

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
She looks lovely. I hope it heals quickly for both of you.

I also have some professionals choice ones and they don't turn, offer good protection and are shorter than some of the others that I have.

What make is her breastplate? It looks really nice and I think I need a new one :rolleyes:

Kate Negus - it is rather gorgeous

Marydoll

Visit site
Wow, she looks absolute class! It all looks so effortless :)

I use the neoprene eskadron overreach boots which are great because they rip if trodden on so there are a few chunks missing from mine but they offer great protection without interfering. Mine are pretty short too!

I love my neoprene eskadron o/r boots, horse wears them xc and in the field as she hairs about sometimes and removes shoes, never came to grief with them
In either place.

lpeacock

Visit site
Mine did the same a couple of weeks ago but not doing some lovely XC but being a div around the field.

Try using the fabric ones instead of the rubber? The rubber ones are pants anyway

Dusty85

Visit site
I also have a dilemma regarding over reach boots.

I have always been for them, as I've never had any problem with them, and regarding boots I generally have the view that they could well save me a hefty vets bill/call out and my horse (and me) the stress/pain.

I recently XC schooled in a pair of rubber OR boots (just the standard ones with velcro at the back). Thought nothing more of it at the time, until I brought him in from the field later that day and he was pig lame! (admittedly- he is a man and a bit of a wuss).

He had a line of rub along the back of his pastern which was weeping and warm. (it looked like he had tried to hang himself with his foot lol) I had washed his legs down after riding but hadn't noticed anything!

Its all fine now and on the med after a couple of days off and a good amount of hibiscrub and green oils.

I have a BE event this weekend- and now I'm contemplating not using them- although slightly worried that this will be the one time i get an over reach injury!!

Apologies for the rather long winded post- i do love an essay :rolleyes:

NaeNae87

Visit site
Wow Sarah_Jane, your horse has a really nice jump!! I hope the injury heals fast.

For Bell Boots, I use Classic Equine DyNo Turn Bell Boots. I find they fit well and I have never had a problem with my horse stepping on them. They also come in a heap of bright colours and designs. :)

PorkChop

Visit site
She is looking brilliant :)

Such a shame about the cut, but everything crossed she will be fine for your next run, good luck :)

wench

Visit site
I just use whatever cheapy neoprene ones are on ebay. Can usually get them for about a fiver and normally nice and short

blackhor2e

Visit site
She looks awesome, what a great day! Sorry she hurt herself, I use the Dalmar overreach boots any others rub my boy, I can't recommend them highly enough.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Allergic to them? do you mean the rubber or hates wearing them?

I must say I wont do cross country without them.

I would get neoprene ones if allergic to rubber.
I must say these are my favourite ones as velcro is hidden between sandwich rubber , thus does not get wet and come undone
very rare to get colour ones tho i have blue ones
not cheap but IMO the best

these in blue or yellow
impossible to find now
number 1

http://www.snackandtack.co.uk/eques...white-size-med-3383&utm_campaign=froogle#3226

no 2 these in blue or yellow http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/1709...ixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Last edited: