XC Schooling and a very pleasing Hunter Trials Report! Vids & Pics!

Stormy123456

Visit site
Sorry for the belated report! Last week we took Doyle on his second XC schooling outing of this year, and only 4th XC outing ever - except this time was different as we didn't have a Nanny horse in case something went wrong. This was as final preparation for his first XC event on Sunday.

Well I think its safe to say, he enjoyed himself! He was brilliant! He started off really spooky again, with the first 3 jumps being popped from a trot, but then it was like a switch went off and he just got on with it:

[youtube]S4buprrtZ0I[/youtube]

[youtube]HVFXbze7AVQ[/youtube]

[youtube]-BcW8qdU4DE[/youtube]

And because he's so handsome:

Was super pleased with him! Much braver and altogether more up for it.

Anyway onto Sunday, which was the Grafton Hunter Trials - which was to be his first XC competition. He's done 1 dressage comp and 1 RC show. The XC was only 2 foot 6, but I was more concerned with him:

a) being spooky
b) being nappy away from the warm up
c) behaving on the box

The course was actually perfect, as although it was small, it had a range of lots of different kinds of XC jumps. We ran around the course as we were running late (must remember to put in the correct postcode when working out the time it takes to get there!), but someone had a bad fall and the air ambulance was needed so we had a bit of a wait before we tacked up in the end.

He was very chilled to tack up, but as soon as we walked down the road to the warm up, we were cantering sideways, casually bucking away :eek: He obviously knew he was at a party! ;)

Warmed up in a slightly calmer fashion and then walked up to the start box. We set off and he didn't even go to nap or wander back to the collecting ring (can be very nappy to hack - we are still battling this problem). He completely turned on this work mode and was away. He did not give me one inkling of being worried about anything! :D

At the water he jumped in with such confidence the fence judge commented it looked like I was having a ball, and although he was a bit looky at the tents and spectators, he was a pro with the jumps.

Please excuse the commentary, it seems my Dad doesn't know what my horse looks like, and my Grandma is obviously very pleased with him!! :eek: I know that my riding is nothing to shout about at the moment! Feeling so rusty!
[youtube]4txWHGOfDto[/youtube]

This is what Doyle thought of it all:

We just took it steady, to give him time to look at everything and had a nice amble round. We got around clear with 2.8 time pens. Which miraculously left us in joint 6th! With around 70 entries in that class I'm proud of the boy! :D Think the optimum time must have been pretty slow, but still chuffed to bits with him! :D

Honestly, I was worried we wouldn't get past the first fence because he'd be a sod and either nap or put on some spooked act. He's still got so much building up to do and so much to learn, but its nice to finally do something. Definitely got to work on my fitness, it's terrible that the round killed me off!

Next up is a 80cm ODE at Solihull! Very exciting! :D

MandyMoo

Visit site
great report - sounds a fab few outings :D and well done on 6th! lovely photos, really like your horse - seems to have a nice attitude! :)

ETA: good look at solihull!

madmav

Visit site
Love his last pic with his tongue sticking out - cheeky!
I was also thinking to myself, before I read your 'sorry for my rubbish riding' comment, what a great leg position you have throughout. So there. Not rubbish!
Well done on a great day. And aren't you lucky having your dad and your gran out supporting you.

Stormy123456

Visit site
Fantastic! ye look like a great team and you,ve got a real nice solid xcountry position- well done :D

Thank you!

madmav - very kind of you! Yes, they're so good to take me to everything! It's Grandma's horse fix now that she doesn't ride anymore - she's always asking when the next one is!

FF - I loved it! ;) After having to retire both of my other two, it's great to be back doing something after a good year or so out of the competition world!

Stormy123456

Visit site
I think you're very stylish as a rider!

Thank you! :)

Thanks everyone, had a great day!

foxy - my saddle is an Albion K2 jump saddle - I absolutely love it! Took a while to get used to after having a Bates event on my last horse. Down side is I don't have a dressage saddle yet and it's not great for schooling it!

1Lucie

Visit site
Aww enjoyed watching ur videos. He looked lovely!!!!! What an achievemt, I'd be over the moon with that!!

olop

Visit site
He looks a lovely sort, really trying to please & super careful I'm very jealous :D