XC time penalties

emilylou

Visit site
How many time penalties are added per second when you exceed the optimum time XC?

I have scanned the BE rulebook but cant find an answer

Mule

Visit site
Last time I did an event I had an interesting experience with time penalties. I ended up wandering outside the tape that marks the course and spent ages trying to find my way back in. My highly impatient horse decided I had no idea what i was doing (possibly correct), so tanked off, to the extent that we came close to under minimum time:eek:
He was threatened with a bigger bit, but i settled for more schooling instead. That showed him:devilish: (hopefully)

emilylou

Visit site
Hmm.. well with this calcuation I have been approx 50 seconds too slow on both my last events. Admittedly I havent pushed for the time due to the ground, and even trotted a fair bit on my last run as it was quite stony in patches. This being my first 'proper' season eventing and my horse being on the greener side too I chose extra time over potential jumping penalties but that does seem very slow. Anyone have any tips on training for a faster time?
We are currently competing at 90 and my boy is a classic ISH more hunter build than event type but not incapable of making the time, he is very fit- has been in work 6 days a week for the past 4 months and moderate work before that. But clearly I need to step it up somewhere!

be positive

Visit site
50 secs is about 2 secs per jumping effort so if you get away a bit faster from each fence, something that is easy to work on and often missed out in training, you will pick up less penalties without going any faster generally although you will not get away with trotting too much as it brings down the average speed considerably, as you take off for a fence think land and go for several strides before settling into your normal rhythm and see how much difference it makes, obviously remain steady in the middle of combinations.

ihatework

Visit site
Get out of the start box as quick as possible
Teach your horse to land & go from a fence
Work on jumping from a good balanced forwards canter so you don’t need to take a pull, ideally horse will sit up a little just on your body position
Walk your course with an eye on the time, evaluate where you can easily cut a corner or ride a slightly tighter line.

SOS

Visit site
I struggled with this, obviously it’s very hard at the moment and you would normally kick on a bit/wouldn’t trot so don’t be too hard on yourself! Better to go too slow and have an educational round than too fast and make mistakes.

Come out the start and really kick on for the first few fences, which are normally straight forward, gets you in a good rhythm and if you have problems later you won’t be so behind
Land and kick after every fence, forget how it went just kick on
Learn your horses rhythm so you can tell how fast you need to go just from feel
When you go XC schooling don’t just jump a fence or two then stop. Make sure you are doing short miniature courses, for example if you want to jump a coffin, go to the next field, jump two simple fences at your XC speed then the coffin then another fence at XC speed. This teaches you how to set up for combinations etc as you would on a course.

paddi22

Visit site
completely agree with ihateworks advice. We were told you lose a few seconds for ever pull you take. A lot of people don't understand the correct speeds. If you find a flat field and put markers a set distance apart, you can calculate what speed you currently do, and what speed you need to be doing. If you trot at all on a course the chances are you can never make the time back up.

On a lot of courses you see people nearly showjumping the xc jumps. Its a very different feeling to ride forward and then land and go.

emilylou

Visit site
Thankyou, thats brilliant advice. Definately gives me lots to work on. Particularly the approach and take off from fences. I didnt think about that at all

MagicMelon

Visit site
When I wasn't quite making the time at BE novice, the best tip I was given was to kick on as soon as you land as you can waste several seconds after every fence just getting yourself together again, if you do it a few times then the horse will start automatically getting back up to speed really quickly. It really helped our times.

alainax

Visit site
Random question ( having only ever done xc once 15 years ago) why is there a time frame? Why not fastest clear horse wins? Is it a welfare thing?

Mule

Visit site
Random question ( having only ever done xc once 15 years ago) why is there a time frame? Why not fastest clear horse wins? Is it a welfare thing?
In a 3 day event, after the xc the horse has to be fresh enough to do a show jumping round the next day. So it's more like endurance than a sprint.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site

Eventing is a sport where the horse and rider need to be skilled in all 3 phases, part of that skill is being able to judge the pace and ride to a set time, if it was the fastest wins it would be more of a race, it would reward possibly careless riding and would not be such a level playing field, the penalties for going too fast were brought in a few years ago to discourage people from going too fast and to try and get them developing a feel for pace rather than galloping recklessly.
As you go up the levels the set speed is increased and it is usually harder to make the time.

paddi22

Visit site
It would be absolutely lethal if it was fastest horse wins, especially on lower levels. I cover my eyes watching some of the kids riding at hunter trials (which are fastest wins events here), they just run the horses into fences, on the forehand, completely out of balance and not set up for the fence at all. It's a miracle they get over at times.

Breeding wise one side effect if it was fastest wins would be that people would go back to pure tbs.

emilylou

Visit site
Just to update you all. I ran at swacliffe today and has clear inside the time to come 5th! So pleased and thanks for all your tips, they definately made the difference :)