Xc training..... And bitting help please!

dianchi

Visit site
So as many may notice, we ponce about the dressage arena, tear up and down the Horseball pitch and it would appear can jump natural fences.

I've long had xc fear, fear of solid fences in general- I'll happily come down to sj fences of any size and not a single quibble.

Xc however I have fear!

So obviously I went and bred an Eventer type that will be 4 next year so I thought if I'm going to Eventer her I best go have a try onboard the ginger ninja......

So with what I thought would be sensible friend (also horseballer) and her boy to xc schooling at waresley park.

I went once two years ago and had a great day popping over little fences (under 2ft) and thought we can just do the same......

Oh I was wrong!

However I don't think there was a fence we didn't jump (no advanced or really stupidly big ones) but everything else in sight!

So skinnies, drops, water, corners, houses, massive logs and brush fences conquered!!!!

And not a squiggly squiffy moment from me!

Few pics......

photo1_zpsf81d2899.jpg

photo2_zps1177e2de.jpg

photo3_zps81a95aa0.jpg

photo4_zpsd7daf70b.jpg

photo5_zps349ad5d3.jpg

So looks like I'm off to a hunter trial next month!
But......
Brakes!

I took her in her Tom Thumb which I could check in but def lifting her head more than needed.
Would a Pelham with roundings be a bit better?

Thoughts appreciated!!

HannaST

Visit site
Looking great!! :)

I put a pelham on mine, but he backed off and became worried. It worked, but I wish I'd kept him more forward...
If I were you, I would try a kimblewick, which is less severe, or a waterford. Waterford definitely my favourite "stronger" bit, seems to work well!

My point is, do play around with bits, but be very careful you don't go too strong - try something "very slightly stronger", then if that doesn't work, proceed to something "very slightly stronger than that". Good luck!

PorkChop

Visit site
Well done, looks like you had a blast :):)

I'm another who would recommend a kimblewick rather than a pelham, one with slots, a utoxeter, and start with an elastic curb.

Good luck with the hunter trial.

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
My old pony was strong XC, and we took her in the Tom Thumb. I would say a mullen mouth pelham with roundings might help as it has a different action - I find the gags do encourage the head to come up and back more. Maybe SJ in one and see how it goes?

If you were OK in the Tom Thumb you should be fine to play about with the pelham.

Id also maybe suggest the waterford, we used one on my mare who had a real tendency to draw her neck back, and it did help hugely - we also had cheeks on it to help steering.

Good luck - the pics look fab! XC is the best really! ;)

dianchi

Visit site
Thanks all, she isn't a straight mouth bit lover so I don't think that the kimberwicks are an answer, I did try once upon a time to sj in a Waterford but didn't really feel like I had control or could place her near to the direction I wanted!

I might get some roundings and try her in her Pelham (NS French link/lozenge on) and maybe give the Waterford another go.

Any other non head raising bits I have over looked?

moodymare1987

Visit site
I took mine round the sj and xc in a Waterford gag as only wanted the one rein on the second ring and was fab could check him and had a good set of brakes without affecting his way of going. I hack and do working hunter in a uk Tom Thumb waterford on two reins.

He does need it for anything excitable. Plus I ride the Tom Thumb on two reins as don't want to haul around on just bottom ring. He does need the bottom one from time to time but I usually ride of the top rein.