XC Training - Ditch and action shots rearing

samp

Visit site
Well ridden been there and done it with my mare. The XC never got any better in fact, I would say it was worse and in the end affected her SJ confidence. It took a year + to get her jumping fillers again and she is now traumatised by logs. she was never beaten, just ridden positively but decided I prefered to stay in one piece so gave up XC. That was probably over 3 years ago now and to school, hack etc not managed to jump so I can't comment but I hope she improves. I tried the lunge line etc on a number of times

Tnavas

Visit site
Beautiful horse - scarey rears and don't you hate it when the lights go out and no ones home! I had a TB that would jump any ditch of any size or depth - but put an inch of water in it and he'd not go anywhere near it.

We had a jump at Pony Club (Adult) that had a tap - we had been jumping it dry and then the instructor turned on the tap - well that we were just not going over it.

As for water jumps - went home from an ODE very wet - we were eliminated at the water and being the last competitor in the class I asked the fence judge if I could lead him through. Teetering on the edge the little rat shot around behind me and then went into the water, spinning me around and dropping me straight into the water on my butt - he than added insult to injury by high tailing it off to the trailer leaving me to walk back. It was the middle of winter and really cold and I had nothing to change into.

siennamum

Visit site
My boy is a bit ditch/water phobic at the moment. He is also young and I am sure he could come round, but I'm not sure I should try and change him.

I think he is being very careful and thinking about stuff, like your mare, he loves coloured poles, and I think that he should be a SJer. Maybe your mare is trying to tell you she wants to go to HOYS not Badminton...=)

millitiger

Visit site
I shouldn't be scared to get the lunge rope out if I were you. I was quite surprised to find out recently that a 4* eventer starts all his horses XC schooling over ditches and water on the lunge. Then he gets on them when they've 'got' it. He reckons it's less stressful for them and he doesn't have to risk an injury if, for example ;), they rear and drop him.

Not sure if it is the same one (as 'my' one is quite southern based) but I also know a 4* eventer who starts everything xc on the lungeline and it is now how I start mine off too and it is much less stressful for both parties.