Xcountry courses/unaff events?

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
Hello :)
I moved up north with the horse in November, and scarily the eventing season is approaching pretty quickly! I've got my BE calander sorted, but I need to find some places to go xc schooling, and would like to find some unaff events to fill in the gaps.
I livery pretty close to little whittington xc so will definitely go schooling there, but if anyone has any other suggestions within an hours travelling distance of Matfen/Hexham area I'd be super grateful! And unaffiliated ODEs too, they seem impossible to find (if there are any?!).
Cheers!

Malteaser

Visit site
Gloucester lodge farm in Blyth have a great xc course which is only £10 to hire. They also run ODEs through the year. All the info is on their website.

weebarney

Visit site
Bywell have a Xc course , they do schooling days and I think they hire it out.
Hedley west farm have a course.
High plains at riding mill have schooling jumps.
West moor farm.

Last edited:

duckling

www.facebook.com
I'm pretty new to the North East too, been here 8 months now :)
I run the Unaffiliated XC Course Photos page and have recently added a fair few dates from the North East to the calendar on there (plus there are photos from a fair few courses mentioned on my page if that helps).

There's also Streatlam Park in Durham, Titlington and Todburn, although whether they are within an hour I have no clue as my geography of the area is still pretty rubbish ;)

leflynn

Visit site
There is also Strothers nr Hexham plus quite a few of the hunts will run rides with xc schooling over the spring/summer/autumn so always worth keeping an eye on their websites (Border, Morpeth, Haydon, Tynedale, Braes of Derwent). Foxberry chasers is another and I know they are probably the only one open all year round.

There is also the Linnels at Hexham, plus farmway @ hexham (soon to be mole valley farmers) notice board is quite a good place to keep an eye on too for local 'unannounced' things. Ivesely do ODE/XC/hunter trials, but further than an hour but not much and worth going as lovely venue (used to do BE). Streatlam is just over an hour but a very nice course - short but hilly and defo up to height whereas I found some others aren't (to my advantage!).

Some of the cumbrian ones aren't much further than an hour either, can't for the life of me remember any atm... There are a few N Yorks way - about an hour and a half - northallerton/richmondbedale area, not sure if that would be too far? Most have pics on duckling's website too :)

Holmside/Lane farm often have indoor xc/showcross if thats of any use too?

https://www.facebook.com/unaffiliatedxccoursephotos?fref=ts

*waves hello*

Last edited:

orionstar

Visit site
Have a look at DLT Photography's website. It has a lot of events posted and the photos taken give you a good idea of the courses. Lane Farm indoor showx is very well run and fences up to height, but it might be slightly longer than an hour away. If you're doing BE you might want to have a look at Stonechester gallops too.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
Thank you everyone for the recommendations, can start planning my season now!
I'm only about 20 miles from Lane farm and have been there for some unaff sj, and noticed they're doing their first show cross this Sunday. Have you been to it before orionstar (or anyone else)? I wonder if it may be a little cramped with sj and xc fences in their arena? What sort of jumps do they use for the xc phase?
Thanks again! :D

beatrice

Visit site
There is also Strothers nr Hexham plus quite a few of the hunts will run rides with xc schooling over the spring/summer/autumn so always worth keeping an eye on their websites (Border, Morpeth, Haydon, Tynedale, Braes of Derwent). Foxberry chasers is another and I know they are probably the only one open all year round.

There is also the Linnels at Hexham, plus farmway @ hexham (soon to be mole valley farmers) notice board is quite a good place to keep an eye on too for local 'unannounced' things. Ivesely do ODE/XC/hunter trials, but further than an hour but not much and worth going as lovely venue (used to do BE). Streatlam is just over an hour but a very nice course - short but hilly and defo up to height whereas I found some others aren't (to my advantage!).

Some of the cumbrian ones aren't much further than an hour either, can't for the life of me remember any atm... There are a few N Yorks way - about an hour and a half - northallerton/richmondbedale area, not sure if that would be too far? Most have pics on duckling's website too :)

Holmside/Lane farm often have indoor xc/showcross if thats of any use too?

https://www.facebook.com/unaffiliatedxccoursephotos?fref=ts

*waves hello*

Just to say Linnels at Hexham is no more - They don't run the BE there anymore. Such a shame as it was a lovely course.

Believe they still have some of the smaller stuff which they use for the Fell Pony Society/Native Pony events but I haven't seen them used for any other events.

Don't think theres any more to add that havent already been suggested.

leflynn

Visit site
Just to say Linnels at Hexham is no more - They don't run the BE there anymore. Such a shame as it was a lovely course.

Believe they still have some of the smaller stuff which they use for the Fell Pony Society/Native Pony events but I haven't seen them used for any other events.

Don't think theres any more to add that havent already been suggested.

I have seen odd events there so thought there were still hiring out/doing smaller stuff? At least there are plenty around to choose from also remembered blackdyke carlisle way - not much further to go there than todburn :)

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Been to Lane Farm for the show cross a few times, expect it to be a very busy day. There tends to be a few tightish turns as they normally have around 17/18 fences in. Courses are well built and they have a lot of proper xc fences including skinnys, barrels, brush and rolltops in various heights.
Other suggestions to add to the list, Park End has some xc fences and Misty Blue farm runs ODE thought I don't think it is a full length xc.

orionstar

Visit site
Ditto vodkagirly, although I did think how am I going to get my 17.2 round this, the showjumping timed section is actually well laid out and we didnt have a problem. There was only one corner on the crosscountry bit where I had to resort to trot, but it is well run and the bacon sandwiches are fab (Clearly the important bit)

flirtygerty

Visit site
Been to Ivesley, lovely place and has nice catering, not been to Todburn yet, but intend to, they have a lot on. There's also a smashing place at Little Whittington, always well attended, there's also Holmside Hall at Durham, they also do a lot