Xmas Day

Princess16

Visit site
As it's my first Xmas helping to look after our adorable Connie just wandered how and when you look after your horses on Xmas day alongside all the festivities!

saddlesore

Visit site
First thing! My horse basically lives out with a night in once a week for a sleep so he stays in on Christmas eve and I go about 8 and feed him, much out etc. it's been raining non stop here for ages and Christmas day is meant to be lovely so might try and squeeze in an early morning hack :)

millmo

Visit site
My horses get done before anything else happens as always. I pick up my daughter and 4 year old granddaughter who doesn't even open any presents until the horses are done, as one of them is hers she has learnt that they must come first. I know me and her mum are mean. The horses don't know its Christmas its just another day with extra treats for them.

Bradsmum

Visit site
Same as usual though I had planned a morning ride but B has lost a shoe and I haven't been able to get my farrier despite phoning and texting since 1 December so that plan is now on the back burner :(.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Pretty much the same as usual - except that I will have an extra pair of hands for mucking out in the shape of my eldest daughter who is home from Uni :).

I will go up first thing, feed him and turn him out - he will be spending tonight in his turnouts to save time. Mid-afternoon (about 2'ish), my daughter and I will go up and muck out, make feed/hay/water and he'll come in at about half three (again, sleeping in turnouts).

Family will wait for me to get back from the yard in the morning to do presents and breakfast . . . and Christmas dinner won't happen until I get back to put the veg on - but people at home will have a list of jobs that need doing while we're gone - set the table, turn the oven on for the roasties, etc.

P

Last edited:

Happy Hunter

Visit site
usual = Just one extra carrot 'from rudolph' and a bit of tinsel round my head!
Dont have time to ride most years - but when I do it's fab!! (Have to remember chocolates for the kids though!)

carrot/lickit Stretches in the evening

Supertrooper

Visit site
Same as normal, he's out 24/7 and is currently getting some chaff + balancer am and he'll have an apple tomorrow :)

The owner of his field mate will give them some haylage pm.

I plan to take him for an in hand walk tomorrow xx

little_critter

Visit site
Pretty much same as normal other than a Christmas swede for S.
Turn out and muck out first thing (was going to ride with OH on bike but my saddle is out of action).
Bring in at 3:30 and give extra big haynet.
I will be staying sober until after I've brought S in then hit the drink and Christmas dinner in the evening.

JenHunt

Visit site
same as usual really - as a kid we used to feed on christmas morning, in our PJ's, before climbing into bed with mum and dad to open our stockings... these days though we (me, sister, and my OH) feed up in PJ's and by the time we get back in, Dad's lit the fire, and Mum has made us toasted panettone (sp?!) and poured us a glass of bucks fizz, and we all open our stockings in front of the fire in the living room.

once that's done we get dressed and take the horses for a short hack, OH usually goes for a run, sister and I do stables on our return and then it's all hands on deck for dinner and present opening. Horses are brought in late afternoon, and fed a little earlier than usual, so that we can sit down and enjoy our Christmas Dinner without worrying about them!

trottingon

Visit site
Mine won't notice much difference to their usual weekend day. I'm doing AM feed and turnout for mine and my friend (Large DIY yard) and leaving my stables bedded down ready with teas and hay etc, then I'm off to get ready and spend rest of day with family. My friend is going down in the afternoon to do her jobs and bring them all in. The only difference is they'll be fed an hour or two earlier than normal and will be sleeping in their turnouts. I'm hoping to have had a drink or two by then 😄

katie_southwest

Visit site
Down in the morning to let them in (they're in during the day). Home to open presents and stuff xmas lunch :D Then back down about 4 to turn them out and get some fresh air after eating too much!!!!

melissa1971

Visit site
My kids get up about 6am so I let them open Santa presents then about 730 while they have breakfast I'll go let them out quick skip out and fill hays and waters then just ready to bring in later in the day

meesha

Visit site
Horses am (usual chores) then home for breakfast and presents, out for Xmas lunch at friends so I am driving as will need to come home after lunch pick up dog before doing them pm. Boxing day will do them am, oh driving us to his parents and then mine then straight to nags (dog coming with us boxing day).

Polos Mum

Visit site
I'll throw them out first thing (hopefully before kids get up if I can!) onto a field that's been rested for a bit so it has some grass left so they won't be daft and will stay out without fuss til after cooking is done.

I might try and sneek out for a hack as it's the first day the wind is forecast to be below 35 mph in a week (down from 65 mph so can't complain too much) and it's back again on Boxing day

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Another same as normal, although to be honest my horses this year is on holiday in the field so no mucking out to make a nice change. They are still get checked and a feed twice a day so will stick to that.
I quite like to go do them on Christmas Day, especially the evening. We have lots of people and it's a bit mad and busy- they are my excuse for a bit of air and a break ;)