yahaaaaaay got the haylage done

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
what a year for weather - have been waiting on tenterhooks to get hay in, checking the long range weather daily. Finally this week we gave up on the idea of hay - can't see a 5 day window of decent weather in the near future. So decided after long discussions with the contractor to go for large bale haylage. Had it cut this week - turned and baled and tonight it is being wrapped. Thank god, such a relief but at least I now have feed for all the liveries for this winter. The contractor was saying he has really struggled again this year and there is no end in site to the bad weather till later on in September by which time the nutritional value of the hay has gone. Can relax now
laugh.gif

lucym

Visit site
phew massive relief for you
grin.gif
you can relax now
not many have managed this southern side of the moor, my uncle cut, but hasnt got any further, they're all tearing their hair out
crazy.gif

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
Bet you are relieved!
If you dont mind me being cheeky, what do they charge for doing haylage. We usually do hay and managed to get ours in well this year but are debating haylage next year depending on cost.
smile.gif

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
well it certainly works out much cheaper than small bale hay. its about £4.90 per bale - big bale so approx 12 bales of hay. We have had to buy a bale spike to cope with it - and have lots of storage as can only pile 2 high as otherwise unmanageable.