Yappy dog

Smogul

Visit site
How do you stop a dog being so yappy? Neighbours occasionally look after a friend's dog and it is driving us all mad. It barks at anything and everything. Owners think it is cute and a good watch dog which is nonsense as no one pays any attention to it yapping. Any suggestions?

Parrotperson

Visit site
suggest you put this in All About Dogs for better coverage.

but if neighbours don't own it and it only comes occasionally there's probably not a lot they can do. It would need constant everyday work from the owners to desensitise it to thinks that make it bark.

deb_l222

Visit site
Just be grateful you don't live next door to it full-time like I did with my neighbours yappy JRT x.

On the next street from me there's a group of 3 houses that have 4 dogs between them. 1 x yorkshire terrier in houses next door to each other, then 2 x JRTs across the road. Every time I walk past with my dogs, it's like a call of the wild and they all start yappetty yapping together. The only reprieve will be when the cold weather comes and the dogs are in the house more.

My new boy Chester is doing a bit of barking at the new sounds but he is thanked for his service and then called to me to be quiet. It doesn't take much effort to teach a dog to 'shut up' but sadly it's not your neighbours job to do this, it's the owners.

dunthing

Visit site
We have the same problem. A couple moved in next door to us, about 18 months ago. Thfy have a husky who they "rescued" and until very recently, it howled and barked for up to 11 hours at weekends. Add that to their rows where he starts it and she screams like a banshee.

Ratface

Visit site
Deep joy. Not. Have you thought about complaining to your Local Authority? May cause your neighbours to give you hard stares/muttered rudeness. You might think it's worth it, anyway?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Do your neighbours know?
I only ask because we had a lab once who was always quiet so it never occurred to me until one day my next door neighbour called round and very nicely told me that every time I left the house the dog barked madly and only stopped when my car pulled up. I genuinely had no idea and was surprised at him!
If your neighbours are just tolerating it when they are home that’s a different matter!