Yard closing!

Sealine

Visit site
Oh no that sounds very stressful. I hope you find somewhere suitable soon. The only piece of advice I can offer is to use your friends and influence asap. If you have a friend on a local yard enquire for vacancies through your friend and/or mention your friend when enquiring direct. Yard owners prefer to take on liveries on personal recommendation from an existing livery. I wish I could help but I'm the wrong end of the country.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have been on the same livery yard for 12 years and they have just served notice to all of us (circa 25 horses). They are giving up and renting it out to a rehab yard. We have 28 days to move off.

Damn, that's short notice! . There were DiY vacancies being advertised here (congleton equestrian facebook) by 2 places recently

and Pump House often have space DiY and full. Care is very good, arenas good, turnout is as good as you'll get but hacking is a very bad road, though good places to go nearby.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
I feel for you - we recently moved as our yard is on the market. The owners were happy for us to stay as long as they were there and are marketing it as a going concern but there was always the risk the new owners wouldn't want us. Somewhere came up that suited us and it seemed sensible to jump before we were pushed so we weren't looking at the same time as everyone else. We'd been at the old place 20 years so I really miss it (and it still hasn't sold) but the new place is good too so there is hope! Wishing you lots of luck in finding somewhere.

Tarragon

Visit site
That notice period is unkind! How stressful for you all.
They must have been aware of their plans for months, and to not give long-term liveries adequate time to find new livery is just plain selfish.
It will be difficult for the remaining local livery yards to absorb 25 horses!
I do feel for you and cross on your behalf! :mad:

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I feel for you - we recently moved as our yard is on the market. The owners were happy for us to stay as long as they were there and are marketing it as a going concern but there was always the risk the new owners wouldn't want us. Somewhere came up that suited us and it seemed sensible to jump before we were pushed so we weren't looking at the same time as everyone else. We'd been at the old place 20 years so I really miss it (and it still hasn't sold) but the new place is good too so there is hope! Wishing you lots of luck in finding somewhere.
That's the risk of giving plenty of notice, and something I found when some of mine left more or less straight away, as it leaves you with a depleted income but still having bills to pay. I had several though who all stayed till the end and then all went to another yard together.

Annagain

Visit site
Yes - 5 of us went together to a yard that closed a few years before and was being reopened by the new owner so it was a big hit for our old YOs. We felt terrible but it was right for us. I couldn't have moved Archie at 29 years old and very much bottom of the pack if he had had to integrate with a new herd. Moving with all his buddies to field with them and only them was the only way we could do it.

Wishfilly

Visit site
28 days is such a short notice period- even if they're allowed to, it seems unlikely 25 of you will all find solutions in that time. Realistically, what can they do/are they going to do if you overstay?

I hope you're able to find something suitable- it may be worth a wanted post on Facebook, as sometimes you'll find places come up that don't advertise. I'd also reach out to your whole horsey network, but of course everyone on the yard will be doing the same.

I agree giving a very long notice is tricky for the yard, but there must be a reasonable middle ground here?

blitznbobs

Visit site
Tbh everyone I know who has liveries is looking for a way to get rid of them at the moment - it’s one thing I said I wouldn’t have when i set up my new yard … nothing you do for them is ever good enough … it’s probably just the bad few but they do make a yard owner’s life a misery… not worth the stress

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Tbh everyone I know who has liveries is looking for a way to get rid of them at the moment - it’s one thing I said I wouldn’t have when i set up my new yard … nothing you do for them is ever good enough … it’s probably just the bad few but they do make a yard owner’s life a misery… not worth the stress
what an unnecessary contribution to this thread.

Fire sign

Visit site
I have been on the same livery yard for 12 years and they have just served notice to all of us (circa 25 horses). They are giving up and renting it out to a rehab yard. We have 28 days to move off.
Which yard is this Abbi Jay ? So many good yards have closed in Cheshire now ..

28 days notice . 😳

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
OP my yard which I’ve been on 14 years is also closing it’s absolutely devastating so I really feel for you 🙁 Fortunately we’ve been given 6 months to find places although initially it was apparently one month. Those of us with two horses are especially struggling to find anywhere that is practical and affordable. I’ve reserved one DIY space for my older horse but my youngster who I was going to send for training had colic surgery last week so I now have two months of rehab before I can do anything with him.

I would see if you can have a conversation about the practicalities of moving within the timeframe currently given.

Melody Grey

Visit site
That’s poor form with the notice period, how stressful! It’s unlikely a rehab yard will instantly fill 25 boxes, especially if it’s a new business venture or expansion. Could you find out who is taking it on and see if you can stay a while? May even help them with a bit of short term revenue?

neddy man

Visit site
Have a look on w w w . l i v e r y l i s t . c o . u k and w w w . l i v e r y y a r d s. c o m sorry have to space it out or tfc blocks it, even though I am no way connected with either of them.

abbijay

Visit site
Thanks for all the support. I was in shock yesterday and just needed to get it off my chest in a world where people would “get it”.
I am in a much better position than many as my parents own a field at their house and it’s the right time of year to turn him out. It’s not that close, there are no facilities and my parents are completely non-horsey but at least Ace won’t be homeless.
It is unfortunately typical of the owner to only give us the contractual minimum notice and his expectation is that we should all be very happy for him and his new venture. I was on the yard 2 hours before we were informed by a blanket email and they didn’t have the courtesy to speak to anyone about this. The staff had 30 minutes notice over us that they are losing their jobs! It could have been managed with so much more tact and empathy and very little impact on revenue but that pretty much sums up how they’ve always ran the yard.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Really to hear this, and with such short notice ☹️. That’s really poor form. Not sure if it’s the OP’s yard, but Smallwood Livery is closing to liveries. Can’t share their FB post, but this was put on the Smallwood Livery Centre FB page yesterday.

So staying open, but ditching the liveries. It’s a nice yard, too.

ALL CHANGE AT SMALLWOOD.
Today we announced to our liveries that after 25 years, Sarah and I are to close our horse livery side of the business.
However we are not ceasing horses at Smallwood just evolving and will post full details of the exciting new adventure early next week on what's happening.
****** PLEASE NOTE ******
OUR CROSS COUNTRY COURSE, COMPETITIONS AND HAYLAGE PRODUCTION AND SALES ARE CONTINUING FOR MANY YEARS TO COME.
We have not closed entirely and look forward soon to opening the XC for schooling. Thank you.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks for all the support. I was in shock yesterday and just needed to get it off my chest in a world where people would “get it”.
I am in a much better position than many as my parents own a field at their house and it’s the right time of year to turn him out. It’s not that close, there are no facilities and my parents are completely non-horsey but at least Ace won’t be homeless.
It is unfortunately typical of the owner to only give us the contractual minimum notice and his expectation is that we should all be very happy for him and his new venture. I was on the yard 2 hours before we were informed by a blanket email and they didn’t have the courtesy to speak to anyone about this. The staff had 30 minutes notice over us that they are losing their jobs! It could have been managed with so much more tact and empathy and very little impact on revenue but that pretty much sums up how they’ve always ran the yard.
I bet you will look back in a year's time and think "Thank goodness we left that place". It is stressful as it happens though.