Yard corral

monkeymad

Visit site
I am planning on making a small corral which will mean I can open my stable door and horse can have option of standing outside or in. The penned area will be small _ approx the size of a larger stable and as the yard is on concrete I would like to use mats in the corral. I am thinking grass mats may be better than plain rubber matting as rain/mud may make plain mats slippery? Has anyone got a set-up? I am lucky that my horse can have daily turnout - albeit in a rather water logged field - but I think this set up could be a real benefit to allow a bit more freedom?

NLPM

Visit site
I've got something similar - mostly grass mats, which work perfectly. The newer grass mats are 22mm thick and they're better than the 16mm, although the 16mm ones are doing alright to be honest, they're on their 3rd or 4th winter now. My latest pen (I've had to do them one at a time, because of cost) was also grass mats but I laid them too late (September) and over wood chip, so they were a disaster as soon as it rained. I've just replaced them all with mud control, which works brilliantly except that Lady hates the mud control mats, so she's had to swap with my gelding so she can have one with grass mats... :rolleyes:

They're a godsend for so many reasons!

BBP

Visit site
Yep, I’ve had this set up for about 10 years now, on two different yards. Each stable has an outdoor pen in front of it about the size of two stables. I then have hay in two or three different places. My horse just has the concrete at the moment and then a bedded stable with rubber mat at front. My sisters has rubber mats on the outside (I find them way too slippy for my horse and may do what you say and put a rubber grass mat by where his front feet stand at his hay stations). It’s a great set up, they are out in the fresher air for more of the time instead of in a dustier stable so better for their breathing, they can move around more on a range of surfaces and they can interact with each other over the fences.