yard design, have i missed anything?

TandD

Visit site
unfortunately its not like the one i posted yesterday :(, but we may have the oppertunity soon to buy a place where we can create a yard from scratch......so its very exciting but have i missed anything that is obvious? or needed?
its just the 'outline plan' currently so fixtures and fitting are not really 'in place' e.g. saddle racks, feed bins
(things like school, fields etc aren't on the list but obviously will be happening)

but...
tack room
feed room
rug room (storage and drying)
human rest room
wash down
eventual solarium
storage for wheelbarrows/mucking out equiptment
storage room for all the stuff we gather
each stable has a large box outside
stable rug rack
extra space for large things etc

so...have i missed anything off the yard?

Jo_x

Visit site
lorry/trailer/car parking?
well planned drainage! and water supply - auto waterers in stables? hosepipe

TandD

Visit site
Hay/bedding storage, or have you covered that off elsewhere?

large barn open barn to store it all....and then as 'stuff' is needed it will be brough up in smaller amounts
hopefully extra storage will be added closer/adjacent to in time

area for muck heap that's easy to access for removal
covered dry area for shoeing, clipping, vet checks etc

muck heap will have its own hard standing next to tarmac drive....so easy access for everyone
its an american barn style...so plent of 'dry areas'
there is also 'issolation' stables (2) which can double up as shoeing yard as it will be fully fenced in

lorry/trailer/car parking?
well planned drainage! and water supply - auto waterers in stables? hosepipe

we've got a large ditch sorted and will be harvesting water from roofs for school watering etc
water is already in barn
auto water'ers will be in stable
how many hosepipes?? just 1 in middle? or at both ends to (thinking fire here...not wash down!)

Shooting Star

Visit site
... am starting to feel every so slightly (just a teeny weeny bit!) jealous :)
how many stables will you have?

oh, and hosepipes, you can never have too many - that is until it starts to freeze then one is definitely too many ;)

Jo_x

Visit site
How many hosepipes probably depends on the size of yard and whats convenient really? Using two at once is annoying IME as water pressure drops through the floor, but depends on yard layout - my old yard had one hosepipe on the main yard (big courtyard), one on the outside where there were a few separate stables and one in the american barn - so you could fill up water buckets in most stables with one if needed, and didnt need to encroach on other peoples space too much when hosing off horses etc.

You mentioning fire has reminded me though - fire extinguishers!!

TandD

Visit site
... am starting to feel every so slightly (just a teeny weeny bit!) jealous :)
how many stables will you have?

oh, and hosepipes, you can never have too many - that is until it starts to freeze then one is definitely too many ;)

would it be bad to tell you that we would have eventually an outdoor school, indoor school that can be walk to under cover from stables, gallops, lunge pen and walker? (fully completed 10 years down the line!)

hopefully about 18 stables spread over 2 barns (with 2 foaling boxes in smaller barn) and an isolation unit of 2 boxes, plus a 'stallion end' to the barn!

thankfully the house isnt to far away from the barns..... so if needed hot water can be taken up......although everything will be insulated till it cannt breath ;)

however its is only planning and it may never happen....but planning is essential (and great fun:))

Shooting Star

Visit site
would it be bad to tell you that we would have eventually an outdoor school, indoor school that can be walk to under cover from stables, gallops, lunge pen and walker? (fully completed 10 years down the line!)

hopefully about 18 stables spread over 2 barns (with 2 foaling boxes in smaller barn) and an isolation unit of 2 boxes, plus a 'stallion end' to the barn!

thankfully the house isnt to far away from the barns..... so if needed hot water can be taken up......although everything will be insulated till it cannt breath ;)

however its is only planning and it may never happen....but planning is essential (and great fun:))

... yes! My only consolation is that if it has 18 boxes you're probably taking liveries rather than having this paradise all to yourself ... so when do I move in ?!?! ;)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Oh god, where are you - can I bring my pony to stay (we're very good, really we are)?

TandD

Visit site
Heated kitchen/ lounge area (assuming this is for liveries)

yes it will be....thats the 'rest room' with seating, small kitchen....we're still working on lavatory placement (most difficult bit!!!!)

... yes! My only consolation is that if it has 18 boxes you're probably taking liveries rather than having this paradise all to yourself ... so when do I move in ?!?! ;)

yes...unfortunatly i have to share...but a paradise it will be!!!

Shooting Star

Visit site
yes it will be....thats the 'rest room' with seating, small kitchen....we're still working on lavatory placement (most difficult bit!!!!)

yes...unfortunatly i have to share...but a paradise it will be!!!

ah ha! Then I suggest an adjustment to the plan, 2 yard areas - one for your own beasties and another for us foul liveries as it appears that we are already filling up your vacancies ;)

TandD

Visit site
ah ha! Then I suggest an adjustment to the plan, 2 yard areas - one for your own beasties and another for us foul liveries as it appears that we are already filling up your vacancies ;)

well with 2 barns all with seperate facilites......... i may well go and hide in my barn from all the noisy liverys!!!!! 5 stables *should* be enough for me..........

Depending on how much land you have - an all weather turnout area would be great.

this is something i would like to consider in the future....however the land is well draining and there will be all year turnout!

Jnhuk

Visit site
I have seen one purpose built livery yard designed on paper which became reality. They had a lot a thought put in to it like hay and straw stores with manitou access from the outside etc... and easy access to muck heap and muck heap built and lined that easily taken away by farmer.

The YO was also clever by giving each livery a lockable cupboard to keep their gear in a section behind another security door (to comply with insurance for tack) stopped the various piles of livery peeps stuff grow that I have seen in most other yards. Dedicated rug racks in an area rather than by the stables etc... Meant that the main livery walkthough was clear of stuff and easily cleanable. There was the usual a washdown area with hose and shower. Solarium and school lights were on a coin operated meter.

They also had in each stable with an 'own' style hay bar rather than the commercial ones, they had the straight front section that slotted in and very robust but also removable for cleaning.

Other things like when the school lights money is used up (1 hour) the lights go off in sections so you are not suddenly in the dark on a winter's evening.

However, I would say the room they allocated for the feed room was on the small side and think they had underestimated the amount of supplement tubs/ feed bins etc.... some peeps have for their horses.

The other thing that would have been the icing on the cake would have been a industrial washing machine for livery use....

HBM1

Visit site
I have always had a sprinkler system on my lottery win yard list. I am terrified of fire. I would have sprinklers throwing out water above..plus some kind of system near the bottom of the stables too to flood the floors...

TandD

Visit site
The other thing that would have been the icing on the cake would have been a industrial washing machine for livery use....

we visited a yard with large washer and dryer and we really liked this idea....so hopefully it would be something in the future that we could put in place as i think it would be a great addition to the yard!

Starzaan

Visit site
If you're starting from scratch, get tracer wire put in EVERY PIPE. I mean it - properly heated pipes to troughs in fields and automatic waterers in boxes will change your life.

TandD

Visit site
Sounds like it is going to be absolutely fabulous. Where are you? I want to move in!

it will be south west.......dont want to give away to many details ;)

If you're starting from scratch, get tracer wire put in EVERY PIPE. I mean it - properly heated pipes to troughs in fields and automatic waterers in boxes will change your life.

im going to sound very silly (plumbings not my thing)..... what is tracer wire?....looked it up on the internet and it really didnt help!