Yard dilemma: not again!

Sleipnir

Visit site
Hello, everyone. This will be long, so fresh baked brownies and wine will be provided at the end of the thread.

One year ago I moved my two geldings - then a 15yo and barely a 3yo to a new yard from a really crazy situation. Since then we have been residing at a lovely yard far in the countryside. The horses are really happy - outside 24/7, ad-lib hay, a hay track available for the fatties, a pro trimmer on site. I have also been happy - but lately, barely so. There is a friend with whom I sometimes carpool to the yard and she doesn't even ask me to cover any gas money, of which I am extremely grateful for, but since I recently changed my job, my schedule doesn't let us meet often. As the yard is really far from my home, it can take me up to 7.5 (in total) hours in public transportation each time I go... And no less than 15-20 euros a day just in transportation.

So there is the dilemma. The yard is lovely, the people are lovely, the care is superb. But I get to see my horses less and less due to increase in costs of literally everything. Plus if I have a day off and see it is raining - no use to spend those 7.5 hours in transportation as our outdoor school has clay footing and becomes extremely slippery when it's wet. Of course, there is always hacking, but it's quite poor in this case - just the edges of farmer's fields and gravel roads. There is some off site hacking, but I never get to visit that, as the trailer is always booked by those who just live closer.

Seeing that I've been visiting less, my yardmates have been trying to encourage me to loan out - but the thing is, I don't want to. My older gelding can be tricky, and my youngster is a work in progress - I don't want to dump him onto someone unsuspecting.

So tomorrow I am going to visit a yard that is much closer to home, costs the same and has an indoor arena. I am feeling anxious, as the horses are kept in at night (and I am used to them being outside 24/7), there are much more horses in general- so less attention spent on the care of an individual horse - and I somehow feel guilty of even considering leaving this absolutely perfect place.

Then again, I would spend only an hour and a half at max in transportation, instead of 7.5 hours. And I'd have an indoor.
What would you do? I feel kind of silly even asking this, but I am really anxious of making the wrong choice for my horses. Feel free to ask any questions - and help yourself with the brownies and wine!

Sleipnir

Visit site
Can you sort out some transport, even a bike so you aren't reliant on public transport.

I would love to, but it is 7.5 hours both ways by public transport (including wait times at stops) - completely unrealistic to accomplish that by cycling.

Ratface

Visit site
I hope the yard that you are considering is OK. I'm sure that you have given up lots of things (you-time/social life/treats/outings) for your beloved horses. Can you get any inside information on this yard? Facebook stalk? Show reports? Definitely worth a look and plenty of "due diligence" beforehand.
Good luck!

PurBee

Visit site
I’d certainly seek high and low for somewhere closer, if i wanted daily visits with the horses. The cons far outweight the pro’s at the current place, despite the pro’s being fabulous.

Just check with potential new yards that part stable, that daily turnout really does mean what it says - especially in winter. Best to ask other liveries on the yard /online reviews, to check what YO claims is actually true. There’s many threads on here where people are frustrated at very limited winter turnout despite being told before moving there would be daily winter turnout.

Your current place sounds ideal for a retirement livery where visits need not be so regular - shame its not closer to you, but i dont know how youve managed to be patient with dealing with that amount of travelling, so well done for giving it a go!

Yet, do consider the other liveries offers of part-loan and stay at current yard if you dont have eager daily plans to ride and train either or both horses. You have to know how much you really want to do with them both to answer how close they need to be for you.

Sleipnir

Visit site
I’d certainly seek high and low for somewhere closer, if i wanted daily visits with the horses. The cons far outweight the pro’s at the current place, despite the pro’s being fabulous.

Just check with potential new yards that part stable, that daily turnout really does mean what it says - especially in winter. Best to ask other liveries on the yard /online reviews, to check what YO claims is actually true. There’s many threads on here where people are frustrated at very limited winter turnout despite being told before moving there would be daily winter turnout.

Your current place sounds ideal for a retirement livery where visits need not be so regular - shame its not closer to you, but i dont know how youve managed to be patient with dealing with that amount of travelling, so well done for giving it a go!

Yet, do consider the other liveries offers of part-loan and stay at current yard if you dont have eager daily plans to ride and train either or both horses. You have to know how much you really want to do with them both to answer how close they need to be for you.

Thanks. The thing is - I really want to do more with them. My older gelding is just 16yo, so many more useful years ahead, and my youngster is 4 - in my opinion, the best time to slowly set nice and basic riding manners, and definitely not the age to be loaned out. Both of them would do better just being horses out on a field, if not for me wanting to ride. :)

Current place is really ideal for retirement or unridden youngsters, and I really feel nothing but love towards the YO.

I guess I will only get any further answers when I go and visit the potential new yard.

TPO

Visit site
Is there anyway that you could have your own personal transport?

7.5hrs of commuting is mindblowing but even 1.5hrs is a lot. My concern would be emergencies especially if they fell outwith public transport times.

Being independently mobile would probably open up a lot of options to you

Sleipnir

Visit site
Is there anyway that you could have your own personal transport?

7.5hrs of commuting is mindblowing but even 1.5hrs is a lot. My concern would be emergencies especially if they fell outwith public transport times.

Being independently mobile would probably open up a lot of options to you

Unfortunately, not at the moment. I would have to get a driving license and a vehicle, but both are financially impossible atm.
Seems like tue answer to my dilemma is cut out clean... Hopefully, tomorrow's visit goes well. Winter care is my main concern.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
7.5 hrs commuting seems hardly even doable if your riding/grooming etc as well. When I was was financially strapped I had a moped that was very cheap to run and used that for yard visits. Is anything like this a possibility for you OP .
Same here. I had a moped from being 16 to 21. I went everywhere on it, work everyday, stables, even to Scotland once.

PurBee

Visit site
Thanks. The thing is - I really want to do more with them. My older gelding is just 16yo, so many more useful years ahead, and my youngster is 4 - in my opinion, the best time to slowly set nice and basic riding manners, and definitely not the age to be loaned out. Both of them would do better just being horses out on a field, if not for me wanting to ride. :)

Current place is really ideal for retirement or unridden youngsters, and I really feel nothing but love towards the YO.

I guess I will only get any further answers when I go and visit the potential new yard.

As you want to do lots more with them, (understandable why you do!) - then either they move closer to you, or, if possible can you relocate closer to them as you love the yard so much? Obviously i dont know your personal situation but when i was renting properties and self-employed i would consider moving to be closer to a lovely yard, if rents in the area were affordable.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I can't get my head round a 7.5hr commute each way - said in post #5. 15 hours each time you go to see your horse? When do you work/sleep/ride??

The loss of hours, let along travel costs, would have me moving...

Just re read original post, I think they mean a total of 7.5 hours each time they visit using public transport - so 3.45 hours each way ? I just couldn't do that, no matter how great the yard is.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Just re read original post, I think they mean a total of 7.5 hours each time they visit using public transport - so 3.45 hours each way ? I just couldn't do that, no matter how great the yard is.

Yes, it is roughly 3.45 hours each way - roughly 7.5 hours in total. Sorry for not being more clear, English is not my native language.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Oh 7.5 hours travelling is mindblowing. I hope the closer yard is good & has a lovely atmosphere. They will be lucky to have you & your gorgeous horses.

Thank you ? Hopefully, the visit tomorrow goes well. Unfortunately, due to my work and general living expenses, moving closer to where my horses are now is simply not possible, so I am just hoping this yard will be suitable. My main concern is the hours they realistically spend inside during winter - hopefully, tomorrow I get a better insight on that.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Thank you ? Hopefully, the visit tomorrow goes well. Unfortunately, due to my work and general living expenses, moving closer to where my horses are now is simply not possible, so I am just hoping this yard will be suitable. My main concern is the hours they realistically spend inside during winter - hopefully, tomorrow I get a better insight on that.

I will have my fingers crossed for you.

Expo

Visit site
So that's seven and a half hours every time you go!!?? How on earth do you manage to do anything else in your life? That's utter madness!! You need to move to somewhere much (MUCH) nearer!! (or learn to drive and get a car!).

Sleipnir

Visit site
So that's seven and a half hours every time you go!!?? How on earth do you manage to do anything else in your life? That's utter madness!! You need to move to somewhere much (MUCH) nearer!! (or learn to drive and get a car!).

It just means that whenever I have a day off, I go to the yard and get absolutely nothing else done - or stay at home to do stuff and feel guilty for doing so.
Putting this in words helps me understand how unhealthy this has been. ?

Pmf27

Visit site
Crikey! It takes me 20 minutes to get to the yard where my loan pony is kept, I'd be grumbling if my commute was much more than that!

Out of interest, how long did it used to take by car? Because 7.5 hours on public transport sounds as though it must surely have been quite a way even without the waiting times?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Travelling 7.5 hours per day to see your horses in my eyes is ridiculous. Certainly go & see another yard that is much closer and don't compare the yard you're on at the moment with the nearer yard. Just see whatever they are providing & if their & if they are fairly priced. As for 24hr turnout, there are not many places that have that. Normally 24hr turnout is mainly provided on farms. At our yard we all have stables, individual turnout & you decide what time you turnout & what time you bring in. Our horses are out around 7 hours per day, sometimes more sometimes less. They are perfectly happy with that. The main thing is that they are in a routine & they are happy.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I know you always want the best for your horses, but 7.5 hours travel to see them is not easy on you. You have to consider your own needs too.
I used to drive nearly 2 hours per day to tend to mine & I found that exhausting, even though the facilities on the yard were 2nd to none.
I really hope you find somewhere closer.

Sleipnir

Visit site
I know you always want the best for your horses, but 7.5 hours travel to see them is not easy on you. You have to consider your own needs too.
I used to drive nearly 2 hours per day to tend to mine & I found that exhausting, even though the facilities on the yard were 2nd to none.
I really hope you find somewhere closer.

Thank you for the encouraging words. :) I hope the visit tomorrow goes well and I'll be able to update with some good news.