Yard dilemma: not again!

Sleipnir

Visit site
Update: I went for a visit yesterday.

There are some definite pros, as well as cons. The owner seemed to be very nice and reasonable. He does some breeding on the yard, produces and sells his own youngsters, as well as takes up youngsters for backing, so that could be an asset with my Captain in the future. The stable blocks are quite old and run down, quite dark too, but the air was very good and they have a separate block with extra ventilation for horses with breathing problems. Horses can also be either kept in individual sand paddocks, or, what I'm looking at - in a large field within a mixed herd of roughly 14 horses.

The whole property is quite rundown, but clean and neat - they only recently took over and are now working on repairs, so everything is functional. There's running water and electricity, a washing area, all the fences I saw were in good condition and safe. And there's a new outdoor arena with good footing + a nicely sized indoor, which would dramatically transform my ability to ride during increment weather.

I think I only have too main concerns - how long do the horses ACTUALLY stay inside during winter (YO said that only during nasty weather, when they start crowding at the gates and ask to be taken inside, as there are no field shelters), and how would eating from a round bale in the field affect Snicks' (my 16yo gelding) breathing, as he can be allergic to dust.

Luckily, I have time to think, as the yard has many free stables and the YO is not focused on filling them so as not to overcrowd the property. And lots of thinking is to be done, as I'd be torn to accidentally harming my boys. Snicks has not seen a stable in almost 10 years, and Captain has never been kept in one (except for a few hours at max), so that would be a huge change for both of them.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Easy answer is MOVE!!

7.5hrs travelling every time to want to see you horses (and presumably return journey as well) is frankly not workable. Crazy in fact.

There is also the issue of your needing to get there in an emergency; frankly you won't make it in time if any sort of decision has to be made.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Easy answer is MOVE!!

7.5hrs travelling every time to want to see you horses (and presumably return journey as well) is frankly not workable. Crazy in fact.

There is also the issue of your needing to get there in an emergency; frankly you won't make it in time if any sort of decision has to be made.

It's 7.5 hours in total, but yeah, the time and distance it takes is insane. Not even speaking about emergencies, as you correctly point out.

Winters100

Visit site
I would definitely move, but I would explain the situation to YO of where they are, be sure to tell them of how highly you value them and appreciate the set up, and leave on the basis that you can go back if something goes wrong. It sounds as if current YO is a kind and reasonable person, and for sure they will understand that 7.5 hours travel is not realistic.

Sleipnir

Visit site
I would definitely move, but I would explain the situation to YO of where they are, be sure to tell them of how highly you value them and appreciate the set up, and leave on the basis that you can go back if something goes wrong. It sounds as if current YO is a kind and reasonable person, and for sure they will understand that 7.5 hours travel is not realistic.

Oh, definitely! I am on very good terms with the current YO, so if I move, I'd definitely give her a timely notice and we would separate in a friendly manner. She is without a doubt the best YO I have ever had the honour to know, and her care and effort are exceptional.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
The facilities might be a bit rundown, but sound fully functionable, and the YO who recently took over keeps it nice and clean, and wasn't pushy about wanting you or anyone else interested to move in tomorrow just to fill up the spaces.
They have a separate block with extra ventilation for horses with breathing problems, so will presumably have options IF your Snicks gets problems due to dust.

How much more time than around 7,5 hours do you need to think about if it is worth the gamble to move? To not have to spend around 3 hours and 45 minutes to travel from one part of your country to another to see your own horses if the current YO calls you and says you have to come it's an emergency. And then eventually having to spend another around 3 hours and 45 minutes to get back home again afterwards.

This reminds me of teenagers up in the northern parts of Sweden. Some of them find it completely acceptable to drive around 1½ hours on e.g. a moped to buy an ice cream, and hang out with friends a short while, before driving another around 1½ hours back home again.
But I presume you're not a teenager any more, and even those teenagers would probably say No if their total travel time was around 7,5 hours.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Gosh, you really are a dedicated owner. I echo others who have recommended a moped. Even if it was only for the warmer months it would free up a lot of your time and I agree, moving your horses, hard as that decision may be, is the only workable option.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Thank you for your honest input, everyone. For now, I think I will move - not right now, as I have to pile up the money for the move, but likely in a couple of months. I am feeling frightened, yet excited about the possibility to be able to actually spend time with my horses and to ride during winter!