Yard dilemma!

Sail_away

Visit site
Having been at a livery with a nice indoor, and then had to move - you actually don’t miss it as much as you might think. When I was there I couldn’t believe I’d coped without an indoor before, but I haven’t really noticed not having one (and there’s been some pretty grim days since!).
Turnout would be way higher up my priority list.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Based on what you said, even though they have an indoor school at your current yard, it doesn't sound as if you have much/easy access to it. So basically, it's not a very useful perk.
Sounds much better to me with the perks with turnout, which you will actually get to use on a regular basis at the second yard.

Besides, Ulla Håkanson who has won 2 Olympic Bronzes in dressage with the Swedish team, in München, and Los Angeles, and last I heard about her, some years ago still rode dressage when she was well over 70 years old, has never had access to an indoor school when training her dressage programs. Sometimes she did not even use an outdoor school, without simply trained her program components when out riding in nature.

So at least some riders manages very well without indoor schools.

Brockles77

Visit site
Hi all - so, it's nice sometimes to hear about what happened post-advice. I ended up staying, and procrastinating and doing another winter at the riding school. It was a bit better but isn't great now. They come in at 3pm and it's hot in his box. SO - I am finally moving almost a year to the day of this post! Not to the original yard but to another one that's even better. Still no covered riding but, I want him to be out much more, and his new yard has 12 hours per day, and overnight if it gets hot. It's quite scary but - I am finally off and excited about it! Fingers crossed I can deal with winter! EEK

Cob Life

Visit site
You get used to rain!
ihave a rain sheet for the horses and water proof jods and a long good coat for me and we just kick on and do it. The only weather I don’t ride in is thunderstorms or thick snow.