Yard Dilemmas - WWYD??

bluepegasus

Visit site
Sorry another post of which yard, but I'd really appreciate some outside opinions.

History.... We had two or three horses DIY livery 5 miles from home. It was hard work but almost had yard to ourselves so pleased ourselves with what to do, which field to graze, etc. We then, for various reasons, were horseless for a winter. Got another and have it on full livery 1 mile from home.

Current yard has a large arena, wash area etc. Summer livery is out 24/7 and includes nothing but facilities and bringing horse in for farrier. Winter is in 24/7, deep littered cattle-type sheds (usually several horses sharing a pen). Winter runs approx. Xmas to April/May and they are in 24/7.
Very little maintenance done on the yard, crap fencing etc, Arena is hired out a lot in winter and I struggle not having our own designated stable.
I have had some very expensive equipment at the yard damaged and no-one is owning up to doing it, either that or we've had people trespassing on the yard in large machinery! It has been damaged before but I let that one slide, as it wasn't as bad as this time.
So am thinking of moving. Options are:

Yard 1 - Full livery, 5 miles from home, small (in comparison) arena, hacking supposed to be good but don't know much more about it or who is there, etc. Daughter could get different school bus home to yard on evening.

Yard 2 - DIY, 5 miles from home, no arena, but we were there previously for 6 years and happy enough. Just struggled with with the DIY aspect as work full time etc. But daughter is older now so can help more and could get different school bus home on a evening to ride etc. Friends in the village to ride with etc, and arenas nearby-ish to hire (using money saved on livery costs).

Can I have some opinions on which yard you might choose (limited info I know!) and also what you'd expect from full livery (not including riding) and it's on the cheap end of full livery IYKWIM :)

meleeka

Visit site
How many do you have now? If yard 2 would horse have company? How old is daughter? I’d be swinging towards that but would probably view yard 1 before I decided.

bluepegasus

Visit site
Just one horse now. I think there is another livery at Yard 2, with just two horses, but not 100%. Daughter is nearly 15. Think I will ring Yard 1 today and see if I can look round.

Louby

Visit site
Ive moved from a big yard, lots of friends, horses etc to a small yard, 3 horses inc mine that sounds similar to Yard 2. I moved to give my horse the best chance of recovery and I miss the company, general chit chat, someone to ride with(now I can) support, help on the odd occasion I need it and of course the arena. I really didnt think Id need an arena, well for at least the next 12 mths or so but I do. We have great turnout, nice stables and its on my doorstep but Ive struggled and admit I often feel lonely and just cant get going with my horse after her having time off due to injury. I think if I had 2 horses then the struggle bit wouldnt be as bad as it is a worry being the one horse owner, when the other livery has the other two.
Full Livery varies so much but I'd expect they basically do your horse for you, ie turnout, bring in, rug changes, feed, muck out and hay and bedding included. Others may inc with vets, shoeing, inc hard feed, horse walker etc etc.
If it was me Id think long and hard about yard 2, they are both the same distance, so Id definately go and look at the other yard. Is there no where else locally, even part livery?

bluepegasus

Visit site
Thanks everyone. There isn't really anywhere else locally. I do worry about the 5am starts for DIY, as I'd have to be home to sort the kids for 6.30am and out of the house by 7.30am, but did think now my daughter is older she can do more herself and she'd be able to get another school bus to the other village and do the horse in the evening, then I'd just need to collect her on my way home.
Full livery was like living the life of luxury compared with the old DIY days. I do love just going up and riding and not having to worry about anything else but then sometimes I feel like we are in the way, as yard is set up for YO really and no priority given to liveries. I do miss having my own space to do with what I please.
Yard 1 booked for Friday morning, so keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Annagain

Visit site
I'm guessing your daughter has to ride in the evenings at the moment if he's in 24/7. Does she see this as a chore (as in every evening, if riding per se was a chore, I'd question her having a horse!) or would she want to continue riding every most evenings? If she wants to ride, I'd go for Yard 1. You can have every intention of hiring nearby schools but when you're tired after a long day or it's wet etc, it's the last thing you'll want. If there's a school on site it makes things so much easier.

Good luck with the visit.

9tails

Visit site
With the bigger DIY yard, you could easily buddy up with someone who will chuck yours out with their horse. I've done this, I'm the chucker outer as I don't get back until 7pm. I'd much rather have a choice of people to ask for help, even if I have to open my purse. The full livery yard would be too small for my liking, my horse would be frantic too.

Velcrobum

Visit site
With the bigger DIY yard, you could easily buddy up with someone who will chuck yours out with their horse. I've done this, I'm the chucker outer as I don't get back until 7pm. I'd much rather have a choice of people to ask for help, even if I have to open my purse. The full livery yard would be too small for my liking, my horse would be frantic too.

I read it that yard 1 full livery just had a smaller arena not that it was a small yard and that yard 2 DIY only had 2 horses in it at present. As OP has said she will struggle with DIY I would have thought yard 1 would be more suitable for their needs.

Merrymoles

Visit site
If you were happy at Yard 2, you could look at employing a freelance groom to do some of your DIY duties for you? Might work out about the same as full livery but worth thinking about.

9tails

Visit site
I read it that yard 1 full livery just had a smaller arena not that it was a small yard and that yard 2 DIY only had 2 horses in it at present. As OP has said she will struggle with DIY I would have thought yard 1 would be more suitable for their needs.

Oh sorry, got it the wrong way round. I wouldn't want to rely on one other person unless they were childhood friends! Horse people can be really weird.

bluepegasus

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm still so full of uncertainty! I'm now worried as the full livery yard is going to be £60/month more than I pay now, it's quite a big increase! And the DIY yard, after buying my own hay/bedding etc, would only save me around £40/month. In some ways I want to stay where I am (we have some friends on the yard, an AMAZING arena and my daughter can bike herself there whilst I'm still at work) but I think I've been lied to about some substantial damage to my property (£500 to repair!) and just don't think I can trust them anymore. I just don't want to regret leaving, which I'm sure everyone who moves feels like.

Annagain

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm still so full of uncertainty! I'm now worried as the full livery yard is going to be £60/month more than I pay now, it's quite a big increase! And the DIY yard, after buying my own hay/bedding etc, would only save me around £40/month. In some ways I want to stay where I am (we have some friends on the yard, an AMAZING arena and my daughter can bike herself there whilst I'm still at work) but I think I've been lied to about some substantial damage to my property (£500 to repair!) and just don't think I can trust them anymore. I just don't want to regret leaving, which I'm sure everyone who moves feels like.

Make sure you leave on the best of terms so you have the option to go back if you think you've made a mistake.

Velcrobum

Visit site

I do not think you can make a decision until you have physically looked at Yard1 and its facilities/people. The full livery yard you are on at the moment does not sound very nice IMHO.