Yard Etiquette: The unwritten rules ....

Greylegs

Visit site
As those of us who live on livery yards know too well, the only way we all get along, share facilities and generally get the chance to enjoy our horses is if there's a bit of good manners, give and take and flexibility on all sides. As such, there are loads of "un-written" rules on how to behave which ensure there's a minimal amount of friction and everyone gets along. For example .......

On Sunday, a couple of girls on the yard were planning to hack to an event at a venue quite close by, which was about a 45 minute ride away. They chatted about plans before hand and the husband of one of them was roped in to take a car load of gear - water, buckets, hay nets, grooming kit and all the other necessary stuff and meet them there. No-one else was involved although another girl did say she too was thinking of going, but hadn't made up her mind.

Come the day of the event, and preparations were in full swing - grooming horses, packing the car etc, when the other girl arrived, announced she was going along and asked "When are we leaving?", assuming she could ride along, before dumping her spare stuff by the car expecting it to be transported too. She hadn't asked if she could tag along, and hadn't asked if the husband would mind carrying her gear to (and back from) the venue. She just assumed it would be OK.

So, un-written rule no. 1 ... Always ask before assuming it's OK to tag along/free-load on others' facilities.

There must be many more .....

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My top rules are:

If it is not yours then do not touch it without permission.
Even with permission, if you 'borrow' it then put it back, clean and where you found it.
If you don't have something nice to say then don't say it.
Be happy for people when they are doing stuff that you would not personally find fun.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mind your own business! Unless someone is going to be hurt or its a welfare concern, then stay out of it. And if it is either of those get the YO to sort it.

Do not offer opinions unless you are specifically asked, and even then remember its just your opinion you are offering, not instructions on what other people should do.

horselady

Visit site
Do not offer your way of doing things.
Do not tut or make unpleasant comments about a horse.
If someone is in difficulty don't just stand there.
examples: "I always tie up haynets like this, you're doing it wrong!" or "Oh, is your horse meant to have brown feathers?" or in this situation when you have fallen off your horse and it is tearing round the field and you are on the floor on your bum unable to move and they say "Oh, poor you!" and walk on!

One last rule: If a horse has no water, give it water.

Last edited:

Ali27

Visit site
Always offer to help with jobs around the yard, e.g. putting up electric fencing! I'm on the most amazing yard with a fab yard owner so always offer to help turn out, bring in, sort fencing etc! My mare had gassy colic on Mon eve so lovely yard owner brought me out coffee and then helped when vet came. She also checked on her later for me. I always keep everything tidy and keep my paddock immaculate by poo picking!

PinkSwoon

Visit site
Bad thing about 'unwritten rules' is that they aren't here nor there so what you actually get is a bunch of people governing themselves.

Personally I prefer black & white rules and more importantly, common sense.

LHIS

Visit site
Don't take people's things without asking! I am totally fed up of my wheelbarrow being taken by someone who is too lazy to walk a bit further to fetch their own. Grrr.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
When you pay the YO to hack your horse out once a week NEVER EVER even imply that they are doing even a slightly less good job of 'schooling' your horse than your trainer who rides at Grand Prix level!!

MissTyc

Visit site
I like many of the unwritten rules given above, esp relating to welfare and safety ...

Perhaps not a rule but a bugbear ... If you insist on joining my ride without asking, don't expect me to go at your speed!

npage123

Visit site
Always bear in mind that the livery yard is right on your yard owner's doorstep and respect the yard 'opening' hours, especially when on full livery.

JulesRules

Visit site
If you borrow something, put it back.
Don't do anything that puts other people/ horses is danger.
Be nice to your yard owner - you never know when you will need help.
Sweep up/ tidy up after yourself

And a few more petty ones that drive me mad at our yard...

If you makes plans to ride with someone, turn up or let them know if you aren't going to make it.
Don't park in stupid/ selfish places
Fork up the muck heap (actually this is written but one person thinks it doesn't apply)

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Mine from my short stay on livery is.....

Just because your horses mud patter cakes fall out of his feet in front of my stable does not make it my mess..........

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The major unwritten rule at the last yard I was on was that if it was bringing in time and only your horse and one other was left out you bring the last one in also (unless of course the owner has requested it stay out alone!) it meant nothing ran the risk of being left out and stressing itself to injury and was a definite relief for me as mine was worst!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My unwritten rule would be: read the written rules and abide by them. They apply to everyone, even you.

Especially the big bloody notice to clients, including no running, no shouting. And don't be amazed when I rollick 10 of you hugely for screaming non stop, running round playing a stupid chase/punch game and my horse is spooking so I can't do his feet. And breathe! Funny how the young helpers have been far more respectful since then.

Pigeon

Visit site
PinkSwoon is so right. I think clear rules are important. That reduces so much bickering.

Someone should write up a list of generic etiquette guidelines that yards can stick up somewhere. Good manners and common sense aren't all that common, sadly. Also, if you have grown up with horses, something might seem like common sense to you when actually it is acquired knowledge - new horse owners (or people that aren't used to DIY livery/livery full stop) might just not realise it's the done thing.

- With square bales, don't only take hay from the top or it all gets stuck
- Don't pour water down the yard when it's icy
- Try and put muck actually on the muck heap
- Sweep up after yourself
- Pick up all nails etc after the farrier's been
- Don't tie horses up in places where they can reach people's stuff and chuck it on the floor
- Please, PLEASE don't drive through the yard at 60mph
- No-one wants to listen to your radio. Get an ipod!

I must say my yard is wonderful and I can't think of a single thing that actually applies to it!! That must mean I'm the annoying one, right? :p

little_critter

Visit site
PinkSwoon is so right. I think clear rules are important. That reduces so much bickering.

Someone should write up a list of generic etiquette guidelines that yards can stick up somewhere. Good manners and common sense aren't all that common, sadly. Also, if you have grown up with horses, something might seem like common sense to you when actually it is acquired knowledge - new horse owners (or people that aren't used to DIY livery/livery full stop) might just not realise it's the done thing.

- With square bales, don't only take hay from the top or it all gets stuck
- Don't pour water down the yard when it's icy
- Try and put muck actually on the muck heap
- Sweep up after yourself
- Pick up all nails etc after the farrier's been
- Don't tie horses up in places where they can reach people's stuff and chuck it on the floor
- Please, PLEASE don't drive through the yard at 60mph
- No-one wants to listen to your radio. Get an ipod!

I must say my yard is wonderful and I can't think of a single thing that actually applies to it!! That must mean I'm the annoying one, right? :p

I'd like to add "close the b***dy gate after you!" (As per written yard rule 7)