Yard opening hours

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
There is no latest time, and in all honesty, I wouldn't be at any yard that dictated how I cared for my horse. I find it absolutely patronising to have someone second guess decisions, and know that I'm perfectly competent to organise my horses according to a schedule that suits both them and me. In my case, mine all live out 24/7. The friend I share a field with goes up and casts her eye over everyone in the morning, and I then see to mine and check hers at just after 4pm. When my horses were on a stabled routine, they always went out very early, but I'd still be pretty put out by a yard owner or manager having a rule about something like that.

Really? I thought it was perfectly reasonable when I expected DIY owners to have their horses done by a certain time in the morning. Although I was feeding them early so as not to have some horses wondering why they didn't get fed when others did, I didn't want horses standing in dirty stables all day or not being turned out or exercised because the owners couldn't be ***ed to get out of bed to do them. I had one livery who was a student at the local equine college. She thought it was acceptable to come to do her horse once a day, at 2pm, when she would muck out, ride, and put him back in his stable at 3pm with what she considered to be enough haylage to last him 23 hours. She wasn't a livery for very long.

Now I'm on DIY myself I find it really hard to see other horses hanging over their doors in the morning, having to wait till 10am for anyone to come and do them. Not that it seems to worry the YO overmuch ...

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
My experience is now twenty odd years old and more and spans top notch full livery to fairly basic DIY. At the "International School of E" I could come and go as I pleased without much ado - the whole yard was run by students and working pupils to fairly rigid hours with the place practically deserted outside of them. We had a horse stolen in the middle of the night but the "thief" was caught bringing him back! This was because the "owner" was in dispute with the Y.O. over money but had forgotten what his horse looked like and had taken the wrong one in the dark!!!
A good full livery had a live on site "Ostler" (yes, it was that expensive!) I had the key to the gate and often came early (before 05:00) and left late ( after 22:00) with quite a few sleep overs, no one minded.
A DIY started off being great, there were just a few owners doing their own things and we all helped each other as the yard was detached from the owners house by a good distance - then the owners changed and loads of stupid rules came into being - most of which no one knew about until you'd broken one. I was off. The next place was DIY and full of young kids and families which I only seldom saw being in early and back late, in fact, I was welcomed by one mum and dad as a new livery when I'd already been there for two years! Many of the family ponies spent school weeks out in the fields to be banged up at weekends and not seen to till 10:00 after the family breakfast and warming up the Merc - I repaired an awful lot of stable doors. Many mums used the Tack Room as a social club and coffee morning while their 14.3 was left tied to the rail for two hours only to be put away again or turned out with no ride.
However, the wonder mare and me loved the place and stayed for twenty years and saw two generations grow.

Snowfilly

Visit site
I must admit I find 7.30 arrival times baffling - I start work at 8.00 so that wouldn't work and even on full livery, it'd stop me riding before work. And weekends would be a nightmare - what if you were going to a show or clinic? I'd get bored of asking for permission in the summer, the Clyde has three shows in a row coming up where he's first in the ring at 8.30 or 9, so we'll be leaving the yard about 6.30 - 6.45 which means 5.00 prep. How does that fit in?

One yard I worked at briefly had an 8.00pm closing time - which again stopped a lot of owners from riding after work at all, or long enough for a proper hack, or sometimes led to hot sweaty horses being put back in their boxes rather than cooled down.

I get why live on site owners might want the time limits but I can't see what a lot of owners get out of it.

Cecile

Visit site
Mine would pack their bags and leave if I didn't turn up until 7.30 am- I sometimes have 7 am farrier appointments so that would be a bit awkward as I want them fed/mucked out and ready for 7

I have never heard of opening times at yards unless on full livery, no idea how that works with horses, there used to be nothing nicer than a crack of dawn ride out or evening ride in the summer. How do people get it all done before work if on DIY

atropa

Visit site
Current yard I'm on is the only one I've been on with time limits, they're not too bad (6am - 10pm) but in reality I'd prefer 5am-10pm.

I've been on 3 or 4 other DIY yards before now that had no opening times, which I prefer.

chocolategirl

Visit site
There is no latest time, and in all honesty, I wouldn't be at any yard that dictated how I cared for my horse. I find it absolutely patronising to have someone second guess decisions, and know that I'm perfectly competent to organise my horses according to a schedule that suits both them and me. In my case, mine all live out 24/7. The friend I share a field with goes up and casts her eye over everyone in the morning, and I then see to mine and check hers at just after 4pm. When my horses were on a stabled routine, they always went out very early, but I'd still be pretty put out by a yard owner or manager having a rule about something like that.

That’s all very well, however, you have to respect that it’s somebody's home also and they are entitled to some privacy at least aren’t they? I run my yard from home and although I don’t have set times as such, I would be pretty miffed if someone was regularly here late into the night, both from a security POV and because the other horses in the block will have been settled down for the night, and I think it’s important they have their routine stuck to. Ours are all fed by 6.30am no matter what, and turned out usually by 7.30 bar a couple who’s owners leave hay with their breakfasts. I like to think my clients respect the fact that this is my home as well as somewhere they keep their horses! If they didn’t, they probably wouldn’t last long here as no doubt there would be other issues! In summer, people tend to stay later which is fine, if it’s hot I like to ride later too!

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
i'm really lucky as I keep mine behind someone's house and there are no set times. I work long and unpredictable hours with a one hour commute from work to home each way, so I usually don't get up until 7.30-8pm, and often stay until 9.30pm. I'm on full livery so no need to go up in the mornings, but in summer I plan to go up at 6.30am before work for a hack.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
TBF I think JJS has read the OP the same a lot of us did before clarification ie whether there is a latest time you expect the owner to be down to do care in the mornings (hence saying a friend casts and eye in the mornings), not latest time to be down there at night.

miss_c

Visit site
I’m on (and work at!) an assisted DIY yard, horses are done by yard staff weekday mornings excluding bank holidays.

Weekdays it is staff only before 9am, this was a planning restriction put in by the council to avoid extra cars through the hamlet (never mind that it is used as a rat run!). Liveries are allowed in earlier by arrangement if competing or an early vet appointment, etc. We feed them all at about 7.15am.

Weekends (and bank hols) it is DIY, the front gate gets unlocked by 7.15am, again earlier access is allowed if competing etc. First one to feed will feed them all (99% of the time that’s me as I stay in the same routine at weekends).

Evenings it is 8.30pm in winter, 9.30pm in summer and once we have finished in the morning it is DIY for the rest of the day.

Some find the opening hours don’t work for them but the majority have kids or work in town so are happy to be able to do the school run without worrying about their horse or to be able to just go into work.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I went to look at a full livery only yard with opening hours of 10am - 4pm, with no exceptions (lessons, competing etc. not 'allowed'). This particular yard also required 48 hours notice if you were coming to see your horse. Unsurprisingly they're not very busy.

Cecile

Visit site
I went to look at a full livery only yard with opening hours of 10am - 4pm, with no exceptions (lessons, competing etc. not 'allowed'). This particular yard also required 48 hours notice if you were coming to see your horse. Unsurprisingly they're not very busy.

Oh goodness thank you for posting that it really made me laugh
I learn something new every day :D

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We normally arrive on the yard around 7.00am however if we are at a show & need to leave early then as long as we left the YO know then it doesn't matter what time we come on the yard.

Abi90

Visit site
A yard near me doesn’t allow you on before 0845 and you have to be done by 6pm at weekends and 7pm on week days! It’s annoying ad the yard is a 5 minute walk from my house but as I have to be at work at 7 it just wouldn’t work!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Technically it's 6am-10pm, but they are flexible. YO lives on site & geniunely doesn't mind if liveries arrive earlier or later, providing she knows in advance.

I went to view one assisted DIY yard that had opening hours of 8am-5pm. Just how?! I can work longer hours than that ...

I often ride before work during early spring, summer & autumn to maximise daylight for hacking. I often ride either early or late in the evenings during summer if exceptionally hot - so need flexibility.

At weekends I'm usually at the yard either early if I'm going to a clinic, competition or planned a long hack or about 10am if not much planned. I don't think that is too late - horse has been fed & extra hay put in (he always has hay left from night before anyway). He doesn't care if he's ridden and in the field by 7am, hacked to the local EC and back at midday, gone on a 4 hour ride & tied to a pub fence post for a bit or hand grazed for a bit en route or ridden at 10.30am and out in his field by 11.30am.

There's no point getting precious out about a routine - I'm on a large with people with different routines & I think it's much better for them to be adaptable.

Last edited:

Mosh

Visit site
As from next winter I apparently won't be allowed up when it's dark as the neighbours complain when their spotlights go off. This is awkward as I work weird and wonderful shifts at times! The person who I rent the yard off (only me and them on the yard) has also made it clear they will not be helping from now on when I'm working (we help each other) so new yard it is!

Ahrena

Visit site
We don’t have any. I did send my YO a text when I came up after a shift at 9pm the other night to treat mare’s mudfever as I didn’t want her to worry if she heard a car and saw lights on or when I collected my lorry at 11pm to go on a colic rescue mission for a friend but she likes it as she’s always said the more people come and go at irregular times as it makes it safer.

AandK

Visit site
Never been on a yard with opening/closing times, but I am DIY - am often up early AM/late PM due to work or competing so could not be at a yard that opened after 7/7.30am. I can understand why some full/part yards do have them, esp if the YO lives on site.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
We are VERY security conscious:

The main reason we have a opening time so to speak as our house is on the yard feet from the stables, and if we hear banging or crashing or horses clip clop round, we think someone has got out or someone is trespassing on the yard. Notification that a livery is earlier due to show or checking on a colic horses is fine as long as they tell us.

ester

Visit site
I don't think you can presume noisy burglars. My YO has said much the same about more random comings and goings, and between the liveries, her, me and the guy living on the caravan on site movements would definitely be hard to predict.

LaurenBay

Visit site
My yard opens at 8am (which is too late for me to do her before work if i have to be in for 9 but atm is fine as i start at 6am)
No real close time in weekdays but weekends she likes everyone off by 7pm.
It is a bit annoying as I used to at other yards, in the summer, go up for a bout 7pm to ride out of the heat of the day!

Very odd times, how does someone working from 9-6 manage. Would be a no go for me.

Notimetoride

Visit site
I just don't see how a DIY livery yard can have opening times. It's entirely the owner's responsibility to take care if the horse so need 24hr access. Restricted opening hours can work on full livery where the care is someone else's responsibility though.
I was on a DIY yard with restricted opening times and it was incredibly stressful getting to the yard from work and all my jobs done and riding done before closing time. And I was forced to ride when it was far too hot. Sometimes in summer I will ride at 9 or 10pm, but obviously at this yard I couldn't. The penny really dropped that this arrangement wasn't working for me when I would drive past the yard in the evening and wasn't allowed to pop in and see my horse, and on one occasion I got the weather wrong and needed to change her rug, but it was after hours so I couldn't (yard was under 10mins from home). She was out in the field and I could see her, but couldn't get to her. It was awful.
Current yard has no opening times but out of courtesy, I always let the owner know if we are doing something particularly early or late.

alexomahony

Visit site
Gosh some of these replies make me feel so grateful that our yard is so flexible.

Our full yard is DIY with some employees who do jobs for liveries as an extra and look after the communal areas of the yard. Liveries can come and go as they please - often in the summer a few will already be out and riding by 5:30am and us who work full time and have a few to exercise each evening are often there till 9pm in winter and 10:30 in summer.

How do people cope with those opening hours when competing/pony clubbing/hunting? If doing an evening competition, I sometimes aren't back a the yard till gone 9pm.

We do have restrictions:
- the back gates are locked by about 7pm
- the alarms are usually off by 7am and back on abut 8:30pm -if you want to ride early/late, you just have to take you're tack home
- Big outdoor school lights switch off at 8pm (planning permission)

That's all though - we're very lucky :)

BethanT

Visit site
Its funny, this has never been something I have ever had to give much thought to.

Last two yards I have been at haven't really had opening times as such.
First yard owners lived on site and would do last checks around 8.30/9pm, but if someone was still there or popped down to check horses it was never an issue. Much the same for AM, as long as you were quiet and respected that they lived onsite they didn't mind.
What they did insist on which I whole heartedly agreed with, was that horses needed to be seen by 9.30/10am at the latest. May that be hay and water or turned out, but they had to be seen to. If they weren't owner would do it and charge them for the privilege. Funny enough everyone followed that rule!

Where I am now is super relaxed, no guidelines for either, which is annoying when people frequently don't arrive until midday to see to their horses on the basis they left them with plenty of hay and water the afternoon before!

Went to look at a new yard this weekend and they want it shut by 6.30pm. In no way doable for me as I wont finish work until 5.30pm. Shame as yard was otherwise perfect.

ester

Visit site
I've never given it much thought either because I have never known a yard with limitations, only from threads on here!

LaurenBay

Visit site
I was moving to a yard a few years ago, I handed in my notice at current place. New yard text me and said there was an amendment to my contract. Turns out YO had set times, yard opens at 7.30am, not doable when I have to be at work for 8! I also would have to be off the yard by 7pm. Which again is not doable since I finish at 5, have to get changed and then drive the 25 minutes to the yard. When would I have time to ride! Obviously I said I would now not be moving and had to ask current YO to let me stay.

I would not be happy moving to a yard with strict opening and closing times. I will not pay money to have to rush everything and not have time to ride and spend time enjoying my Horse. I understand that people live on site and may not want to be disturbed but they also need to realize that most people are in full time work and have to do the Horse around work.

Damnation

Visit site
Just taken a yard on and I have allocated 6am - 9:30pm as the opening hours, but we have residential properties (that are seperate from the yard) only about 10 feet from the yard, so their right to privacy/Not having people banging about at 5am has to be respected.

Obviously if someone is competing/there is a medical emergancy then I will be flexible but I don't want it to be a normal occurance. Unfortunately one livery in their wisdom decided to chainsaw at 9:30pm in a barn and disturb one of the tenants across the road so now we have to be very careful. (Chainsaw person has ruined it for everyone, even through he knew that tenant had complained about late night noise previously, probably from previous chainsaw incidents).

LaurenBay

Visit site
Just taken a yard on and I have allocated 6am - 9:30pm as the opening hours, but we have residential properties (that are seperate from the yard) only about 10 feet from the yard, so their right to privacy/Not having people banging about at 5am has to be respected.

Obviously if someone is competing/there is a medical emergancy then I will be flexible but I don't want it to be a normal occurance. Unfortunately one livery in their wisdom decided to chainsaw at 9:30pm in a barn and disturb one of the tenants across the road so now we have to be very careful. (Chainsaw person has ruined it for everyone, even through he knew that tenant had complained about late night noise previously, probably from previous chainsaw incidents).

That is acceptable times though. I am shocked that some people on here have said their yard doesn't open until 7.30 and closes around 7pm