yard option thoughts pls?

Littlebear

Visit site
I have seen these posts and now need help deciding please!

My current yard is around 8 miles from home which is the closest its ever been, its a mix of stables and rented units so can be a bit chaotic with noise, drilling and machinery which does take away from the peaceful enjoyment of having the horse. Its a very well run, well kept place, 2 arenas, wash down bays etc, good services albeit quite expensive, daily turnout although the fields are overstocked, there is summer and winter fields but the grass will run down quickly in each, the winter field will be a muddy nightmare so come winter the horse will end up being in alot, no shelter in the fields at all. Its not much fun there, not many people to do things with and extremely limited hacking. You cant take your dogs up with you which i miss. There is no precaution at this yard for isolation/ strangles testing etc.

The second yard is only about 1 mile from my house so I can walk there and there would be a saving in petrol esp when I have to go twice a day, it is a bit more cheap and cheerful, lots of stables and horses but no fancy facilities, 2 menages but one is dire, there are more grazing fields and appears to have grass all year, there is some better hacking via a residential street to get to it. The only major worries is that this one has a bad reputation for bitching/problems etc, the times I tend to go this kind of thing doesn't generally affect me I don't hang around for hours I generally do my horse and get going in a hurry to get to work etc. There is also a 2 week isolation where there are no other horses in sight and my horse is a bit of a stress head when alone so would likely end up being 2 weeks of absolute hell to get through that.

Both are kid friendly which is import and only the second one is dog friendly (not a major issue) but if I can walk my dogs occasionally to do the horse and walk them home that would save me a bit of time. I would say the second one would save me around £150 per month.

Any thoughts welcome I just cant decide!

Carrottom

Visit site
Aside from the isolation issue I would say the second yard sounds much the best option.
Is it the stable that is out of sight of others? Would you be able to hack out or use the school during those 2 weeks? If so I would try to arrange the move when I could spend lots of time at the yard, riding and doing stuff with my horse to keep him occupied.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If the 2nd one suits you better, which by the tone of your post, it does, move.
I wouldn't want the isolation, really, but it is good practice on a livery yard and not effective if there are other horses nearby. I would then want the horse to be introduced to the residents gradually.
Our horses spent a few months on a friend's farm about 10 miles away from home just before we moved here, when we were used to them being much nearer and it was a complete pain, they were not anywhere near work either. Friend checked them in the mornings and we just went up once per day. I certainly wouldn't want them so far away again, so the walking distance from home would swing it for me.

be positive

Visit site
The yard you are on doesn't sound ideal, limited turnout, noise, poor hacking are not really made up for by 2 arenas, not having dogs on the yard I see as a positive as if everyone turns up with dogs it can become a free for all and more hassle than anything else.
I would ignore the rumours about bitching, it may not affect you, the isolation period is for everyone's benefit so I would move and hope the horse can cope and check that the field he is in for that time it totally safe and secure.

Littlebear

Visit site
The yard you are on doesn't sound ideal, limited turnout, noise, poor hacking are not really made up for by 2 arenas, not having dogs on the yard I see as a positive as if everyone turns up with dogs it can become a free for all and more hassle than anything else.
I would ignore the rumours about bitching, it may not affect you, the isolation period is for everyone's benefit so I would move and hope the horse can cope and check that the field he is in for that time it totally safe and secure.

Thank you, there is no turnout during the 2 weeks of isolation. I know what you mean about dogs its just handy when you have dogs to take them on occasion to incorporate their walk into going there would save time some days. I am not massively worried about the bitching as I do tend to stay out of trouble fairly well, but even when you google the yard there are numerous threads that come up saying it has a bad reputation for it so it just casts a seed of doubt of how bad it must be!
Carrottom yes the isolation is completely out of view of others. I realise its a good practice and feel that the yard I am on is a bit of an issue waiting to happen on that front due to so many horses coming and going, plus sales liveries etc and no measures being taken at all.

Littlebear

Visit site
If the 2nd one suits you better, which by the tone of your post, it does, move.
I wouldn't want the isolation, really, but it is good practice on a livery yard and not effective if there are other horses nearby. I would then want the horse to be introduced to the residents gradually.
Our horses spent a few months on a friend's farm about 10 miles away from home just before we moved here, when we were used to them being much nearer and it was a complete pain, they were not anywhere near work either. Friend checked them in the mornings and we just went up once per day. I certainly wouldn't want them so far away again, so the walking distance from home would swing it for me.

Yes, I agree, I have never had them that close before so it hasn't worried me but it would make my life so much easier! In the mornings the traffic just to go 8 miles can be horrendous as its everyone heading into London out of our town. I would have all of that time back from travelling to do the horse and ride etc which would be nice. I guess even if they could do a strangle test and a few days isolation it would be manageable but 2 weeks is a long time when I know the horse is going to be literally climbing the walls the whole time x

sunshine100*

Visit site
I have seen these posts and now need help deciding please!

My current yard is around 8 miles from home which is the closest its ever been, its a mix of stables and rented units so can be a bit chaotic with noise, drilling and machinery which does take away from the peaceful enjoyment of having the horse. Its a very well run, well kept place, 2 arenas, wash down bays etc, good services albeit quite expensive, daily turnout although the fields are overstocked, there is summer and winter fields but the grass will run down quickly in each, the winter field will be a muddy nightmare so come winter the horse will end up being in alot, no shelter in the fields at all. Its not much fun there, not many people to do things with and extremely limited hacking. You cant take your dogs up with you which i miss. There is no precaution at this yard for isolation/ strangles testing etc.

The second yard is only about 1 mile from my house so I can walk there and there would be a saving in petrol esp when I have to go twice a day, it is a bit more cheap and cheerful, lots of stables and horses but no fancy facilities, 2 menages but one is dire, there are more grazing fields and appears to have grass all year, there is some better hacking via a residential street to get to it. The only major worries is that this one has a bad reputation for bitching/problems etc, the times I tend to go this kind of thing doesn't generally affect me I don't hang around for hours I generally do my horse and get going in a hurry to get to work etc. There is also a 2 week isolation where there are no other horses in sight and my horse is a bit of a stress head when alone so would likely end up being 2 weeks of absolute hell to get through that.

Both are kid friendly which is import and only the second one is dog friendly (not a major issue) but if I can walk my dogs occasionally to do the horse and walk them home that would save me a bit of time. I would say the second one would save me around £150 per month.

Any thoughts welcome I just cant decide!
I would look for yard 3. None of these yards are good enough and I would never keep my horse in for 2 weeks for nobody.
You know deep down they are not right. Trust your gut and knock on every farm house etc that has fields.Ask Leo Walker I think she went round asking everyone.Good luck.

Leo Walker

Visit site
As someone who moved to a yard with a similar reputation after promises it wasnt like that anymore, DO NOT DO IT! It doesnt matter if you arent there long or dont hang about you will end up involved one way or another and its soul destroying to be surrounded by bitchy, psychotic women!

Littlebear

Visit site
Thanks ... I really wish there was a yard 3 choice but the only other options close their fields all winter which is a definite no!
The only other option is to go around 20 miles away which would become quite a chore x

Lyle

Visit site
No 2 for me. The best place I ever kept my horse at was less quailty in terms of the facilities, but it was so close that twice a day was easy, the horse was super happy and relaxed there too. Although it did have a super group of people there, which made it really fun and relaxed (although there are always little issues that need to be worked out)