Yard owner caused colic

Horsequeen74

New User
Visit site
Went to a livery yard 3 weeks ago and was promised a lot of things that turned out not to be true (good hacking, plenty to go with etc). One morning I arrived to a sick pony- bloated, sweating, the odd roll. He had been moved into a thick, lush field of rye grass as their son had dumped tainted silage in the horses field- which they ate... my pony developed colic and two others were ill. I’ve moved yards swiftly- but had paid up front for the month. What are my rights?

SusieT

Visit site
I'd say it will be hard to get any money back even though you would feel morally you should - worth sending a letter, but dont expect anything!

Horsequeen74

New User
Visit site
Thanks- I am doubtful of anything returned, but very angry at the same time. I signed the contract on the understanding that my horse would be in a safe environment; he wasn’t due to their neglect. We were all very lucky it wasn’t life threatening!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Are you a BHS Gold member? If so then I would advise you ring their Legal Helpline.

Did a vet attend your pony? Would they be prepared to give a written statement saying the colic was directly caused by allowing the animal access to this pasture?

Would the other liveries back you up? Would their vets give written statements also?

If you intend claiming from your YO then it would be helpful if all of you got together and came at it from a united front. You will have presumably had a vet's bill which you would not have had otherwise, plus you have had to pay up-front for livery.

What an awful thing to happen.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Get your horse out of there, asap, asking for your money back, although you probably won't get it. then seek legal advice. You may be able to take YO to small claims court for your money back/new livery fees and vets fees incurred.

meleeka

Visit site
I’d send a letter by recorded delivery. Presumably you had an invoice from your vet and you also have witnesses that the YO was negligent, so I’d put that and request your deposit returned. I’d end the letter with something like “I trust that we can bring this matter to a swift conclusion to avoid any further action being taken”. Small claims probably isn’t worth pursuing due to the amount, but the threat of it might make her worry.