Yard Owners that do what they say on the tin.

Illusion100

Visit site
Currently, I have a fab yard owner. A rare find in my experience.

Never a yard atmosphere, no 'big' decisions made without first checking in, horses are the absolute priority as are the owners needs, no strops or tantrums if a livery needs the horse looking after if they have an emergency. Each horse is cared for as an individual, quirks and all.

Very vigilant, considerate and Professional. No silly charges for the sake of it and responsible treatment/handling at all times. Constant maintenence to yard/facilities, quality bedding and forage provided at all times and a very horse friendly layout and routine.

Other liverys are fab, no bitching and really nice people. YO takes time with every livery just to chat and also make sure everyone is happy in general.

While I sound very smug, my intention was to thank every YO that works their butt off for their clients and to reassure anyone who might have lost faith with being on a livery yard, there are YO gems out there, don't give up. :)

nato

Visit site

Never a yard atmosphere, no 'big' decisions made without first checking in, horses are the absolute priority as are the owners needs, no strops or tantrums if a livery needs the horse looking after if they have an emergency. Each horse is cared for as an individual, quirks and all.

Very vigilant, considerate and Professional. No silly charges for the sake of it and responsible treatment/handling at all times. Constant maintenence to yard/facilities, quality bedding and forage provided at all times and a very horse friendly layout and routine.

Other liverys are fab, no bitching and really nice people. YO takes time with every livery just to chat and also make sure everyone is happy in general.

While I sound very smug, my intention was to thank every YO that works their butt off for their clients and to reassure anyone who might have lost faith with being on a livery yard, there are YO gems out there, don't give up. :)

I could have written this post! In fact sometimes I think my YO undercharges for how amazing she is, along with the service and facilities!

Lucky us :)

Ladyinred

Visit site
Mine are also amazing. YO is in his 80's and wife not far behind him, but considering the pittance we pay they are great. YO delivers big bales into empty stable opposite ours as he knows I struggle these days and if I leave a full wheelbarrow he will often empty it for me. He discusses with us which field we want and asks if he wants to turn his cows out there as well.

In return I muck out their pony as often as I can and bake them bread every week.

Leo Walker

Visit site
My YO is amazing! She loves my boy and has asked for first refusal if I ever sell him, more than once. She doenst charge market rates, and cares for him better than I ever would. She also is amazing with me! When I went a bit mad and lost my nerve she took time out of her day to get on him first, then get me on and lead me round the yard, then walk out with me hacking for 40mins. She makes her groom hang on to ride until I'm there so the groom can baby sit me. Shes bloody awesome and I'm waiting for the catch, but I really dont think there is one!

wills_91

Visit site
I also have a fab YO and yard. It's such a relieve knowing you can go away and not worry at all a out quality of care.

Flame_

Visit site
I've been on my livery yard over 10 years. There's barely ever a horse injury, the YM is so careful about turnout arrangements. The YO keeps on top of all the maintenance and we're now getting a new arena surface, even though the old one's not bad at all! Love my livery yard, it'll be an impossible act to follow if I ever leave the area.

rachk89

Visit site
My yo is a saint for being able to put up with my horse with no complaints. He even managed to pull his mane with no sedation and has got him used to it now. Great setup and he is building new stables soon and an even bigger outdoor arena so that we can have a jump course set up at one end and a dressage arena at the other. Great guy.

tinycharlie

Visit site
I'm on a great yard too, the yo is fab, shes kind, fair and will always help if she can. Shes helped enormously with my daughter and her pony. We get on well with the other liverys, we have a stable and field, its well maintained and well managed and they're building an outdoor school :)

wyrdsister

Visit site
I too could have written the OP's post. My YO & her husband are amazing. I've had a run of awful luck with serious horsey health problems & she has bent over backwards to come up with ways to make rehab & box rest & restricted turnout possible, & even extra turnout when our fields got waterlogged in this horrid winter. After a decade elsewhere in the county dealing with a succession of useless yards, it's fantastic to be on a great one again. I do make sure she gets a card, some chocolate & a bottle when she's been extra specially helpful to let her know how much I appreciate it. I'm sure she thinks I'm nuts because she says it's just part of the job!

HashRouge

Visit site
Mine is the best in the world, we love her! Only downside is when I go up planning to spend 20 mins at the farm to check and feed, then we start talking and I don't get home for 3 hours :D

Stockers

Visit site
Mine is great. but she was a friend first (we were both on the yard from hell) then moved to her own place with stables. she asked if I wanted to livery with her. I was abit wary but we agreed we were grown up enough to remain friends if it didn;t work out.

Fortunately it has - I have been there over a year. My horse is brilliantly looked after and I've never enjoyed riding so much. We have alot of fun. a

Greylegs

Visit site
I'll happily join in the YO back-patting club. Mine has a few personal/family issues going on at the moment which are distracting her a bit, but she's in spite of that she's always there if you need to talk, does her best to sort out any issues (there rarely are any tbh) and generally runs a tight ship. The yard is always immaculate, she won't stand for any upsets or general "nonsense" and the staff respect her judgement. Well run yards owned by sane, capable people are out there, thank goodness.

LHIS

Visit site
Lovely thread :)
My YO is great too - I pay a good rate for where I am, in exchange for the good rate when I do jobs to look after my pony I do it for her 3 too. My jobs include haynets, poo picking, mucking out and generally just being helpful. When she goes away I look after the horses, and when I am away I know my boy is looked after. I also have tuition from her, buy all my horsey things from her, and she's a fountain of knowledge in terms of horses, their care and riding. I feel very lucky and the balance is just right, neither of us feel taken advantage of and it just works. I love it.

stilltrying

Visit site
Our yard owner is awesome too! No ego, no agenda, no stealing....no mental health issues. Its bliss. We are totally DIY but are allowed to care for our horses as we please. Having been on several yards i'm only too aware how rare this is. Long may it last : )

Annagain

Visit site
I too have a lovely YO and lovely fellow liveries. YO was thinking of selling up last year and we were petrified at the thought of having to go elsewhere, or even to stay put with a different YO! Luckily she changed her mind.

Kima

Visit site
What a nice thread - it's refreshing to read that there are some amazing yards and owners out there - I have my fingers crossed that I have finally found one!

cowgirl16

Visit site

Lost my faith and gave up years ago! Where are these gems? Not in my area of Somerset! To all you lucky people with good YOs - hang on tight! They are worth their weight in gold!!!

samlf

Visit site
I have a great landowner, completely non horsey but extremely co-operative, understanding and just generally a lovely lady!