Yard owners! What do you do with liveries on Christmas Day?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
A friend says she's keeping her full liveries in and will hay and feed three times a day still. What do you do if owners won't be around?

wills_91

Visit site
My YO always offers to to do the horses, they keep them in and we have to leave haynets ect ready. I am doing my horse tomorrow as normal. Tbh though I wouldn't expect anything different its Christmas for YO to after all :)

smellsofhorse

Visit site
When I worked at a yard.
Most of the owners came and helped muck their horse out.
We left everything ready, Haynets feed etc and turned most out.
YO, who lived on site skipped out and hayed the few that staying on and brought the rest in.
I just worked the morning.

Any owe that was away or not around just got charged as normal, no extra was added.
In the business of looking after animals it is a 24/7 job.

charlie76

Visit site
All ours stay in and all the owners ( part liveries) come and do them. I don't turn out Xmas day just in case of incidents.

Starzaan

Visit site
When I had my yard it was business as usual pretty much. All mine were full and part liveries, so most needed exercising, and i always had a few to get ready for hunting Boxing Day.
They were mucked out, ridden and turned out as usual. The only real difference being that I made sure I had a proper break at lunch, and that I finished before 7 so I could go and have proper Christmas dinner.
I loved Christmas on my yard. My liveries were fab and would always turn up with champagne and chocolate!!

Sheep

Visit site
My YO does not do any horses other than his own at Christmas - I think that is perfectly reasonable, he has a young family and works his socks off the rest of the year for us. So I'm going to yard at 6am to turnout my lot plus a few others, and get everything ready, and another livery is bringing them in late afternoon / early evening. That way I can have all sorted before proceedings officially kick off at my house!

NinjaPony

Visit site
At my yard (full livery) the horses are kept in, mucked out, fed, hayed etc as normal. I don't mind- I can't be there myself to turnout or I would but frankly one day in really won't do them any harm when they get turned out every other day of the year and it means the yard staff can spend less time bringing in, turning out, washing legs, changing rugs etc and more time with their families which they deserve IMO.

charlie76

Visit site
We don't turn out simply because its the only two days of the year when I go home and have family time, this means there is no one on the yard all day to keep an eye on them and get them in should there be any issues.
I made the decision to not turn out following an incident at my old yard, everyone turned out, we were all just getting in the car to leave when some one drive in to say there was a lame horse, said horse has fractured its leg and had to be put down, five minutes later, we would all have gone home and she would have been suffering until we returned that night.
Therefore, I'm happier not to put them out unsupervised, I will add that all of the horses on my yard are competition types so used to less turn out. They will be worked however.

Bav

Visit site
At my yard its exactly the same as a normal day in regards to turnout (although most are normally in earlier) however YO doesn't offer any livery service on Xmas day, Boxing Day or New Years day.

I think this is very fair with a young family of their own and the majority of us liveries are DIY or part and will help each other out anyways.

I might be a bit miffed if I was on a full livery yard though. But wouldn't want my horse kept in because of this?

saddlesore

Visit site
At my yard it's full DIY for Christmas and new year. The normal services offered stop. At previous yards it has either been business or usual or extra money to cover Christmas. All yards allowed t/o as normal.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The horses don't know it's Christmas & don't care. We turn out, muck out & bring in like any other day. I see my horses every day, why wouldn't I want to at Christmas?

Montyforever

Visit site
Horses will be in (have been in every other day anyway due to lack of grass so business as usual!) that was YO only condition, wouldn't ask her to do mine on Xmas day even though she probably would, i think its a day no matter what type of livery you are on you should muck in and help out if possible :)

They will all be out early tomorrow as I've agreed to do boxing day as YO away and i could do with a break from Christmas as doing everything today ...

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Just getting ready to shoe horn my selfout of bed ! business as normal today I'm working as well 10am-6pm to pay for my new stables I can't complain they are lovely !

Tnavas

Visit site
At the yard I trained in Christmas morning was great fun. Often owners turned up and we'd muck out and go for an awesome Xmas hack. After everyone was back in, groomed and hayed we would hay up the school horses turned out in the paddock, make feeds and fill haynets for the stabled. Then we'd go in to YO house for nibbles, drinks and for the staff; pressies!

YO fed and hung haynets in the evening. Boxing Day horses got hay and stayed in all day. A few people would come in and skip out and tidy beds. No mucking out. Then day after Boxing Day life went back to normal.

dollymix

Visit site
I am on a true DIY yard... Where everyone pitches in on Christmas Day. I am at my parents this afternoon for dinner and then stay the night, so someone is kindly going to sort Luna on Christmas night and Boxing Day morning, and I'll sort Boxing Day night for her when her family come over.

Off out soon for a quick hack and cuddles before I set off... My parents live about 60 miles away but I like to try and help my mum with the dinner.

Have a great day everyone!

AngieandBen

Visit site
That sounds like a lovely day to me Dollymix :) I'm hoping my daughter will help me with the dinner after I have done her pony for her?!!

When I had liveries they came in the morning to feed and help poo pick the field ( out 24/7 ) I always did pm's anyway so no different then any other day apart from I get pressie's :D

Merry Christmas everyone

Enfys

Visit site
It was always just another day for me and the horses, nothing changed.
I didn't, and still don't, 'do' Christmas, so whether owners turned up or not made no difference to anyone.

Enjoy your day everyone, whatever you are up to :)

Moya_999

Visit site
A friend says she's keeping her full liveries in and will hay and feed three times a day still. What do you do if owners won't be around?

Its tradition for all horse to saty in Xmas day and New Years day- as its the one time my Y/O can see her family

Ours stay in today they have had breakfast and a section hay then they have their evening hay and feed later.

Horses are happy they are all in with food no problem.

Last edited:

Madam Min

Visit site
We're full livery but do our own Christmas Day, Boxing Day +New Years Day, don't mind as would go down to ride anyway+its good to get out the house. Been today mucked out ect+ridden ☺