Yard owners - what would you do in this situation?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
SORRY IVE POSTED TWO THREADS SOMEHOW- PLEASE POST ON THE OTHER!

...if you had a DIY livery horse that was really bossy at the gate? Small mixed herd, plenty of turnout. The horse is blocking the gate and kicking at/lunging at/biting other horses if you try to get them out of the field before him. Chasing it away with a flick of a lead rope or whip just spooks the others too. I’m worried someone is going to get hurt. It’s a big draught horse. I’ve already banned treats in the field, but not sure that the owner is respecting that, I’m not always there. My freelance groom knows this horse from a previous yard and said it could be a pain. The land doesn’t really work with sectioned off individual turnout. The owner works later than everyone else (someone else often brings it in or I end up leaving mine out until after hers so it’s not left alone).

Last edited:

C1airey

Visit site
Can you corral the gateway? It at least takes away the stress of potentially having horses charging the gate/getting loose. Would it work to let bolshy horse into corral with horse that was intended to come in, put bolshy horse back into field, close corral, take intended horse out of field?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
No not really. It’s quite wet land. We’ve spent literally thousands putting in walkways and hardcore areas big enough for several horses at the gate. If we corral that off everything is stood in the mud again.

Nari

Visit site
I'm not a yard owner, but as livery I would ask the yard owner to make a decent sized pen in front of the gate ideally with two entrances. The alternative would be a pen area the troublemaker could be put in until the horse that was wanted was out of the field, but that does involve liveries handling the horse and that could e a problem.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site