Tiffany

Visit site
Music to my ears
laugh.gif
Whereabouts are you?
smile.gif

CBFan

Visit site
I can understand your frustration completely.

Having 'worked' at and shared horses at a yard where the yard owner (a good friend) gives lessons to her liveries on sweeping the yard, raking the school and stacking the muck heap and then moved to the a yard where the yard owner is no-where to be seen, school is always full of S**t, not raked, parts of the yard are always covered in straw, mud, water etc and the only communications we get is texts to tell us off when another livery has gone running with a relatively minor issue... I know in many ways I'd prefer to be back at my friend's yard... it is mainly cost that prohibits this.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having rules on your yard, I would just advise that you don't try to blame any one individual but perhaps put a note on the board asking for everyone to see you when they have a minute to go through the rules again and just make sure you have reasoning behind each rule (not just that it looks nicer) like for the school. droppings clogg up the drainage / aren't that pleasant to land in if you fall off!, messy yard creates a slippery surface and it's impossible to see small objects like nails etc that horses may tread on and hurt themselves etc just an idea... at the end of the day these tasks all only take 5 minutes!! I really can't understand people who 'don't have time' to do them!!

NikkiF

Visit site
I'm not a YO, have been a DIYer for 20 years on 3 different yards. This problem is everywhere, some people just think that keeping the 6 inches around their stable door swept is sufficient
frown.gif

I always sweep the 'communal' areas 2 or 3 times a week, absolutely refuse to do it anymore than that - our YO has also just given up with the few and does it herself.

The one thing that does irritate the hell out of me is people not clearing up their horses droppings after using the school
frown.gif
frown.gif
Why oh why should I have to clear up their mess before I can use the school...........I pay the same as them...........grrr

M_G

Visit site
Tia you sound like the perfect YO. I must admit I have no complaints about mine & we only have 2 lazy sods out of 18 so I think we are really lucky
Mxx

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
i imagine its not easy to get it just right

i think that liveries should tidy up their own mess, but i think the yard owner should keep things generally tidy, such as yard sweeping etc

and if a livery has not tidied up and i was the yard owner i would probably tidy up after them

also i would probably keep a note up just asking that liveries always tidy up after themselves, and as long as they did it the majority of the time i would crack on the other times

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Evry yard I have ever been al it was an unwritten rule that you bloddy well tiedies up after yourself!!!

What is wqrong with people that they cant tidy up their own mess??

If you want to have a horse then you accept that yes horses make mess and pick up after yourself.

Having been a yard girl/groom for ten years on a yard it was expected that on a full livery yard that I would pick up after them. Well let me tell you i didnt. I was paid to do my work and after I was finished I set about seeing to my own horses. Liveries thought that because I was still there that I would continue to oick up their mess and YO soon sorted that out as If my hour were lengthened to tidy up the mess then it went on their livery bills.

Soon started them tidying up after themselvs!!

Charge as money is the only thing that makes people sit up and tke notice, threaten to take it away and then they will look at the bigger picture.

Nikki xxx

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Oh god, I so feel your pain. Sometimes I despair of our liveries, on the rare occasions they bother to fork their muck up, they do it into a huge mountain (rather than banked neatly round the edge of the trailer) so it all has to be redone to prevent it falling off on the road.

I have had liveries trail straww and hay across the yard RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME when I am STILL HOLDING THE BROOM having just swept. Likewise they pick feet out on the yard while I am sweeping it.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

It is like trying to keep the tide out with a spoon, clearing up after them. Drives me insane. One girl, when challenged about the fact that she never sweeps up after herself actually said "I work hard all week and don't have much time to spend with my horses, why should I spend that valuable time sweeping up after myself".

The DIY-livery yard feed room and tack room is disgusting and full of rats but fortunately us staff never have to go in there as we keep the full/working livery feed and tack elsewhere (in a spotlessly swept room LOL). I hate the fact that it is so gross though as it reflects badly on us when new people come to look round but the boss clearly states it is NOT our job to clean up after them in their own areas.

UGH, sometimes I hate DIY liveries (not aimed at anyone on here who I am sure are all exemplery liveries)

lannerch

Visit site
a subject dear to my heart

Came to put my horse out this morning to find the was tidy space in front of my stable covered, and I mean covered with straw.

More straw must have been spilt than got to the stable.

How can you not notice!

Lady_Bug

angelsonhorseback.co.uk
I think it's down to the owner/sharer/loaner of the horse to clear up the mess their horse makes. If everyone takes the time to do this, then the yard stays reasonably tidy.

I must say, on our yard, most people do clear up after themselves. The only issue we have is the muck heap not always being filled correctly, so that it needs emptying more often, which the YO won't do in boggy weather so it makes it inconvenient for everyone else. On the whole, though, it is pretty tidy.

Tia, you say you clear up after your liveries, but aren't all your liveries full? I can understand your reasoning for doing it, as I presume they are paying a fair price for the full livery and all jobs being done. Though for DIY liveries, I think everyone should clear up their own mess, presumably that was the OP's grumble. Whether it be full or DIY, the ultimate responsibility for cleaning up after a horse lies with the person who looks after it.

Tia

Visit site
Hi OD
smile.gif

I don't have any horses here who are on, what you would class, full livery; as in no horses live in stables on my yard. All horses live outside 24/7. I offer full-care-livery, which means that I feed them for their owners, give them a groom once in a while and keep an eye on them, as I do my own horses. Many owners here don't come and see their horses for months on end, some come here every day, others come here every few days. The difference in cost to keep horses on full care is minimal, and not much more than DIY. I am very cheap compared to most places around here. However, I don't think it has anything to do with what type of livery you are on, mine is only a step up from DIY, if a horse poops outside of its field, then people have to know whether it is their responsibility to pick it up or not. I will, because this is my home, not because I am being paid for it, because I sure am not being paid for it.

Naggette

Visit site
That explains it!! Sorry Tia, but 99% of the mess we are talking about relates to stable mess - DIY's not picking out feet, muck falling off wheelbarrows, trailers, dragged out of stable, hay trailed across hayshed.

It sounds like Tia has got it in for the other yard owners, when we should be sticking together.

The bottom line is that we are only trying to air our troubles - perhaps to avoid us doing this another way.

DIY liveries don't like texts, emails, phone calls, notes or even face to face discussions. Let's face it nobody likes to be told they are doing something wrong AT ALL.

and Tias assumption that other YO's are incapable of doing the job is just downright rude
mad.gif

Tia

Visit site
Ah well if that is the way you go on to your liveries, then it's no wonder you have "troubles". Sorry but airing these troubles and criticising the people who pay your wages on the worldwide web is not a professional thing to do in my opinion.

I also do not agree with you that liveries cannot be asked to do certain things; however you have to handle them in a forgiving manner, NOT dictate to them. I personally can't be bothered with all these trivialities that you are all going on about, so I just go and do whatever needs doing myself if they don't. I would be far more concerned if my liveries were not caring for their horses, or were not enjoying spending time with their horses. Whether they pick their horses feet out and do not clear up after them, whether they drop things off their wheelbarrows or trailers, and whether they drag hay across any of the haybarn floors; these really are not big deals to me and I'm not going to lie about it, or shut up about it just to make you or anyone else feel better about the problems you have on your yards.
smirk.gif

Anyhow, the bottom line is, I don't actually care how any of you run your yards - I was simply giving you an alternative viewpoint, and one which has worked successfully for me for many many years. Take it or leave it, makes no difference to me at the end of the day.
smile.gif

Patches

Visit site
I only have two liveries at our place.

If their horse poops on our drive and isn't cleaned up.....I will clean it up. After all, it's me that doesn't want to see it on the drive, so I will clean it up as it makes me happier. Takes two secs, so not really worth an argument over.

I often sweep up the entire stable/barn as my horses are either side of the livery two. I just sweep from top to bottom, cleaning up bits that have fallen outside of their stables, not just mine, as I go. Just seems natural.

Mine do sweep up after the farrier, but if they forget, I just get my scraping tool and scrap it away from the path the tractors take in the yard....can't be having a puncture.

If they get out of their fields...I will put them back. If they break fencing, I will repair it. I'm here, and I can get it done quicker.

If they don't turn up, for whatever reason, I will see to their horses for them.

As Tia says, I know it must be annoying if you have one livery who doesn't do this, that and the other. However, I tend to go for the theory that life is too short to be worrying over a bit of hay or mud on the yard.

Straw/shavings etc often blows out of wheelbarrows as you push them to the muck heap. Yup, it's not pretty to see bits blowing about, but it's natural. Can't be helped.

Some people have often thought I'm a doormat YO but as far as I'm concerned so long as the liveries pay and there are no major arguments, then life is tickety boo.

I have known plenty of people complain about yards with much great facilities than mine. The main reason being grazing, but the second is Yard Rules/Politics that they feel detract from their enjoyment of their horse.

People who work full time, and can snatch an hour at the end of a long day with their horse, don't have time to be worrying if there is a bit of haylage dropped across the yard or their horse's feet pickings aren't swept up properly.

melaniemarks

Visit site
Good post Patches- well said!!
cool.gif

The yard I am a livery on isn't the tidiest, there are about 20 or so liveries. many lke myself have more than one horse, work and have a family so time spent with our horses is precious. I would feel uncomfortable on an anal yard thats all squeaky clean. Most of us tidy up and sweep the yard when there is time, but its not the be all and end all if there is straw on the floor or a poo in the school. Is fairly chilled at ours - unlike some I've been on.....
crazy.gif

Naggette

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ah well if that is the way you go on to your liveries, then it's no wonder you have "troubles". Sorry but airing these troubles and criticising the people who pay your wages on the worldwide web is not a professional thing to do in my opinion.

I also do not agree with you that liveries cannot be asked to do certain things; however you have to handle them in a forgiving manner, NOT dictate to them. I personally can't be bothered with all these trivialities that you are all going on about, so I just go and do whatever needs doing myself if they don't. I would be far more concerned if my liveries were not caring for their horses, or were not enjoying spending time with their horses. Whether they pick their horses feet out and do not clear up after them, whether they drop things off their wheelbarrows or trailers, and whether they drag hay across any of the haybarn floors; these really are not big deals to me and I'm not going to lie about it, or shut up about it just to make you or anyone else feel better about the problems you have on your yards.
smirk.gif

Anyhow, the bottom line is, I don't actually care how any of you run your yards - I was simply giving you an alternative viewpoint, and one which has worked successfully for me for many many years. Take it or leave it, makes no difference to me at the end of the day.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa....
confused.gif

Can we call a truce here and agree to disagree...?
I don't want this to turn into a personal attack
frown.gif

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
I would rather have a yard owner like Tia
grin.gif

Tia you do sound like my yard owner , Only she would tell you herself she isnt as horsey knowledgable , but shes done her homework when it has come to opening up her livery yard .

I have been at my livery yard now for nearly 7 years now and yard owner has always been pleasant about something that needs doing ie be keeping the yard tidy or if there is something bothering her, she will always come and speak to us face to face .

Saying that we have all been pretty good liveries , When my yo is away , I like to do a good tidy up before the yo is to return so then she doesnt have to do it when she comes back , A good little livery that I am
grin.gif

Vicki1986

Visit site
oh god OP you would hate our yard !! Weekdays when its full livery its tidy but weekends is DIY we all muck out at different times on windy winter days its a nightmare we always pile our wheelbarrows too high so bits fall off here and there!!
Not saying our yard looks like a scruffy pikey hole - we do pick up our droppings but we dont go mad about every last pile of straw as all of us are more worried about spending time fussing and riding our horses. which is how our YM likes it too. she'd rather we were brushing our horses that the yard i think. as long as its swept tidy that will do.

i know us liveries can be a pain in the arse, but yard owners and managers can be a pain too sometimes.

blackfeet

Visit site
Its ok for 'yard owners' to slag off their 'liveries' but how many of them admit to being worse than their 'liveries' who are supposed to be mates. the ones who say they sweep up their liveries mess after the farrier has been which is b*****s when they very rarely themselves sweep up their farrier mess and the liveries do it so the nails dont go in their horses feet. and when clipping leave hair all over the yard so it goes in the water and haylage and dont sweep it up either.

Tinypony

Visit site
Sounds like a livery recognises their YO here, always a hazard when you discuss your business in public.
grin.gif

TarrSteps

Visit site
Eek.
smile.gif

In the end it comes down to communication and people being honest about what they can and can't do, and what they can and can't put up with.

Surely any livery who is fanatical about everything being "just so" will be more comfortable in a place with a YO who feels similarly? And by the same token, if the "culture" of the yard is that everything is tidy all the time someone who doesn't care about such things should best stay away, no matter how much he/she might like other things about the yard, and vice versa. Or, if someone wants to have their horses somewhere where they don't "agree" with the attitudes in place then they have to put up or shut up, no?

I think the problem comes when people SAY something won't bother them when it really will or, perhaps worse, don't say anything at all. Surely yard owners give people an idea what to expect when they move in? So long as they keep to that they can always take refuge in "Well, that's our practice here and you knew that coming in."

I can easily see why people want the place they live in to look neat. Although I guess if you REALLY want to keep a place exactly as you want it, the best plan is not to let other people use it! But then again, if everyone felt like that there wouldn't be too many options about for livery . . .
smile.gif
It's always going to be give and take. I always am a bit surprised when liveries don't want to tidy up after themselves, as surely people want to come to a place that looks reasonably presentable? I've certainly worked in places where staff did EVERYTHING but then that was agreed upon at the outset. And paid for accordingly. (In one place everyone used the barn's boots, bandages, turnout rugs, saddle pads etc., all tack was kept communally and staff did ALL the looking after, cleaning, grooming etc for all 60 (!!) horses. I have to say it was a lovely place to ride.
smile.gif
) I've also been in lots of different places with lots of different rules - I always found the best ones were where everyone KNEW the rules, and they were enforced calmly, consistently and politely.

Not trying to stir the pot, Tia, but I'm curious to know if you had the same set up in the UK as you do in Canada, with regard to how the horses were kept and what sort of liveries you had. I'm finding some general differences (not hard and fast, more along what people generally expect) in the two countries. But then again, I also found a huge difference between say, high powered competition yards near Toronto and more "rustic" outfits in somewhere like Parry Sound or the interior of B.C. Situations often necessitate different attitudes and practices.

Naggette

Visit site
Wow TarrSteps, at last, an intelligently written response which has taken the posts the way they were intended.

Canada sounds fun, it is a big wide world out there, with lots of different approaches.

Just gets a bit hard when you strive for high standards but nobody else seems bothered!

Naggette

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I only have two liveries at our place.

If their horse poops on our drive and isn't cleaned up.....I will clean it up. After all, it's me that doesn't want to see it on the drive, so I will clean it up as it makes me happier. Takes two secs, so not really worth an argument over.

I often sweep up the entire stable/barn as my horses are either side of the livery two. I just sweep from top to bottom, cleaning up bits that have fallen outside of their stables, not just mine, as I go. Just seems natural.

Mine do sweep up after the farrier, but if they forget, I just get my scraping tool and scrap it away from the path the tractors take in the yard....can't be having a puncture.

If they get out of their fields...I will put them back. If they break fencing, I will repair it. I'm here, and I can get it done quicker.

If they don't turn up, for whatever reason, I will see to their horses for them.

As Tia says, I know it must be annoying if you have one livery who doesn't do this, that and the other. However, I tend to go for the theory that life is too short to be worrying over a bit of hay or mud on the yard.

Straw/shavings etc often blows out of wheelbarrows as you push them to the muck heap. Yup, it's not pretty to see bits blowing about, but it's natural. Can't be helped.

Some people have often thought I'm a doormat YO but as far as I'm concerned so long as the liveries pay and there are no major arguments, then life is tickety boo.

I have known plenty of people complain about yards with much great facilities than mine. The main reason being grazing, but the second is Yard Rules/Politics that they feel detract from their enjoyment of their horse.

People who work full time, and can snatch an hour at the end of a long day with their horse, don't have time to be worrying if there is a bit of haylage dropped across the yard or their horse's feet pickings aren't swept up properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

forgot to say.... if i only had two instead of 18 then I would probably not mind at all -if you had 18 instead of 2, imagine how much longer it might take..
wink.gif

Vicki1986

Visit site
as a fairly tidy person (not obsessively!) i've started finding myself tutting in my head when people make a mess (only when it affect me, in shared areas etc) and dont clear it up. the tack room, store rooms etc being a mess frustrates me.
im hoping to have my own small place one day, whether i would need to have a livery/s to keep my pony company i don't know, but if i do, god help me i hope they are tidy or i will be forever tidying up their things!

the comment further up about 'not having time to sweep up' although i can see why this is frustrating / a bit naughty... if this person is a full livery i can sort of see their point, i mean of course you should sweep up your own mess (or just pick out into a bucket, der!) but i wouldnt really want to be sweeping yards etc if i was paying expensive livery. and if i was a YO i'd expect to have to do this for liveries.
i'd like to think im one of the reasonably good liveries, when the mood strikes i tidy out our little hay area, sweep the tack room out every now and then and through the barn, although i often forget to pick ponies poo up off the drive!
Everyone is human but aslong as people make an effort i dont think its worth coming down on people too hard if they only do the occasional thing wrong, especially if they make up for it in other areas.

I do think its a bit naughty to slag off your liveries on such a popular open forum, roles reversed im sure the YO's wouldnt be pleased? although people are only human, and need to vent too, it is a public space, and is unproffesional really. i'd be really quite miffed if my YM had done this! find it quite amusing that a livery seems to be 'biting back' further up !!