Yard Rubbish

wiglet

Visit site
Rubbish - I'm talking feed bags, haylage wrappers, baling twine, supplement containers and such like, on a diy yard, are you responsible for taking this sort of stuff home to dispose of or does your yard dispose of it for you?
I've been on full livery for ages so never given it a second thought but, I'll be diy soon and one friend mentioned she has to dispose of her own rubbish.
It makes no difference to me, I'll take home if that's what's expected but, what happens at your yard?

scats

Visit site
We don’t have any bins at our yard so general rubbish we have to take to the tip ourselves (hence why one of my spare stables is currently full of rubbish!)
Shavings bags and bale strings we store in the main barn. Someone is meant to collect them but they never seem to!

callybbi

Visit site
At our previous large DIY yard they provided were various streams of recycling plus a skip so all rubbish went in to the appropriate waste stream. Now we are on our own sole use yard we are responsible for rubbish so have an area for rubbish that we then take to the tip when we have time. The tea room rubbish normally gets taken home once a week x

LeneHorse

Visit site
At our previous large DIY yard they provided were various streams of recycling plus a skip so all rubbish went in to the appropriate waste stream. Now we are on our own sole use yard we are responsible for rubbish so have an area for rubbish that we then take to the tip when we have time. The tea room rubbish normally gets taken home once a week x
Your previous yard sounds great (as far as recycling is concerned). We take our waste home and I always recycle what I can but I see other liveries putting all their waste including drink cans plastic containers and glass bottles in with all their other rubbish. Though if we did have a recycling bin at the yard it would probably be misused ☹️

Chappie

Visit site
I take my own rubbish home - and if I see anything recyclable in the rubbish area, like supplement tubs, I take those home to my own bin too. There is a set area for rubbish, but sometime in strong winds particularly plastic feed bags and general rubbish has been known to blow away from the property - onto our hacking routes... great... I HATE litter and I loathe rubbish lying about, it's a fire hazard.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Rubbish - I'm talking feed bags, haylage wrappers, baling twine, supplement containers and such like, on a diy yard, are you responsible for taking this sort of stuff home to dispose of or does your yard dispose of it for you?
I've been on full livery for ages so never given it a second thought but, I'll be diy soon and one friend mentioned she has to dispose of her own rubbish.
It makes no difference to me, I'll take home if that's what's expected but, what happens at your yard?
My liveries just put in the wheelie bin bags and our waste team collect it

MuddyMonster

Visit site
This is the first DIY yard I've been where I've had to take it home myself. I still think it's a bit odd/a minor inconvenience but it's fine. I have an empty bin I just fill up and then empty into a black bag when full so I'm not bringing home stuff all the time.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My yard, so I take rubbish home or go via the dump.

I keep baler twine (cut at the knots) and one bedding sack filled with folded empty bedding sacks, they come in useful for putting ragwort and the like in. The twine of course has many uses.

One livery I had (the last but 1) had a blooming pile of feed sacks and on me finding traces of rat damage, she got very huffy and said it was my problem! Not had rat problems previously. Turned out that there was feed and also part packs of biscuits, crisps etc in her pile of crap.
Notice given....

Last edited:

PurBee

Visit site
Here in ireland theres a ‘farmyard plastic recycling scheme’ - so all silage wrap, plastic haylage bags, bedding bags, baling twine, bale netting, can all be bagged-up together, and taken to a recycling point on a specific date, or picked up by the national company.
Its for registered farmers and registered agri-type businesses, which im sure an equine livery yard would also be served, as ive got an equine yard farm number that qualifies me. Its a nominal amount per tonne.

Does the uk have a similar scheme? Worth googling, as i had no idea about Ireland’s scheme which had been running a few years. It‘s not something thats widely advertised, unfortunately.

The plastic gets recycled into posts and planks, benches etc.

Better than it ending up shipped to indonesia and being burnt in piles in the most impoverished social areas, devastating health and lives. China stopped being the worlds plastic burning pit, so the indonesian government were happy to take money from all countries to get rid of their plastic and dumps it in the poor rural communities where piles burn 24/7/365. (Because the west cant be arsed to sort 1 plastic type from another with packaged items, so most plastic recycling collections cannot be used for recycling, which we all think is happening to the stuff we recycle - plastic recycling system is broken and needs a huge overhaul so it can actually be recycled, like our governments have us believe it will, instead of shipping it off to 3rd world countries)

Thats the reason i use a dedicated service now, as it’s a guaranteed recycling service. I probably have a literal tonne of plastic wrap annually with just 2 horses.

throwawayaccount

Visit site
I Take it home

Used to be a pain when I didn’t have a car tho, so used to rely on when I got lifts (usually cycled) or when someone did the odd tip run.

As soon as I passed, I did tip runs monthly for everyone to help out :)

Bluewaves

Visit site
I’m on full livery but the yard is small. I take most of my stuff home and put in the appropriate home wheelie bin or take it straight to my recycling centre. My yard owner recycles my empty feed bags though into rubbish bags.

asmp

Visit site
I hang an old feed sack up on a hook and use that as a bin. I take it home every fortnight and it goes in my black bin.

Fjord

Visit site
I keep a feed bag in my feed room and just take it to the tip when it's full. I've only been on DIY at farms so it's very much been something we dealt with ourselves.

Jambarissa

Visit site
Most yards I've been on have either said to take it all home or the smaller ones have allowed one bag of rubbish from the yard per week.

I'm on a 50+ horse DIY yard and we're allowed to use the wheelie bin but expected to not overfill it. People really take the pee, piling it in so the lid is vertical. YO ends up pulling some out and burning it.

I'm interested to hear what people do with larger rubbish, old wheelbarrows, shavings forks, etc?

On my yard people dump them next to the bin when no one is looking. Or often publicly declaring that they can't be expected to put a dirty wheelbarrow in their car. YO ends up dumping them on unused land, we basically have an above ground landfill, there's a car and trailer in there!

Bluewaves

Visit site
Jeepers! I’d take anything like that to the tip myself. That’s bad about using unused land. Sure you can recycle anything with metal in it if you take it to your tip. Would the council not collect if you used their bulky item collection service?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Current large yard has a skip which is emptied regularly. Occasionally YO puts up a notice asking liveries not to abuse the service, when people use it to dispose of general waste from home, like Christmas wrapping and boxes etc and large items of junk they can't put in their own black bins.
I just use the skip for feed / shavings bags.
Old wheelbarrows, buckets and mucking out tools are my responsibility and I take them home. Sometimes yards like like a scrap dealers with abandoned wheel barrows. It's not OK.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine are at home but I can fit all our standard rubbish into the household bins, for 2 people, 2 dogs and 2 horses. I am on wrapped bedding too - 6 bales a week between them, and one is on Horsehage - a bale every other day in winter. We also have a lot of packaged fresh foods from the supermarket.

Amazing what fits into 2 wheelie bins! One standard, one recycle, each emptied once every 2 weeks (so one wheelie bin a week is emptied).