Yard rules for dogs - very annoyed post

my bfg

Visit site
Following the dogs on yards thread does anyone's yard actually have set rules?
All the dogs I've known on yards have been well behaved and only appear for a quick fuss and to see if the farriers left anything tasty but stay clear of the horses.

But tonight to be honest I'm fuming at one livery, she lets her new dog have the run of place, uses other peoples mucking out equipment to clean up after it when she notices it go to the loo but often she doesn't and its constantly sniffing around the horses. But today I found out something thats annoyed the hell out of me.

My girl is the only horse on the yard that wears a fly veil rather than a mask, today said livery saw me in the field and was laughing at the fact her dog is obsessed with the fly veil and apparently often runs over snapping at it trying to get hold of the strings!
A I don't want her dog in my girls field at all let alone snapping at her face!
B I found the fly veil had 5 strings ripped off it last week from various points on the browband (found them in the same area together) and couldn't work out this had happened as it never touches the ground when she grazes so am now wondering if the dog pulled them out?
C why the heck does she find this funny?? She would go mental if a dog was doing it to hers!

Will be speaking to both her (was speechless at the time) and the YO tomorrow but surely not letting dogs in other people's fields is common sense??

Sorry for the rant but I'm absolutely fuming

Last edited:

eggs

Visit site
This is why I think a blanket ban on dogs on yards is the best policy

In your situation I would be very annoyed

Jo1987

Visit site
I'd be furious. Very dangerous for the horse, and the dog for that matter! I do wonder what goes through people's heads sometimes...

Enfys

Visit site
I used to have a livery yard, I had GSD guard dogs who were kennelled by the barns, I also had a lot of young goats, numerous cats, free range poultry and various rabbits etc. This rule was writ large on my contract and also made crystal clear to anyone viewing the yard, or enquiring as a potential livery.
I lost a few potential clients people who got shirty when I said no dogs, no skin off my nose. My ranch, my rules ;) :D

I had an absolute No Dogs on the property policy - for reasons which are pretty self explanatory. I didn't want them getting their silly heads chewed off if they decided to stick them through into the kennel, neither did I want any of my animals chased around and/or killed, and that's not even getting started on the havoc they can cause in a paddock.

OP I understand your point entirely, dogs can injure, or be injured by horses, they can be messy, and can be destructive (note I said 'can' not ' always are' ) as far as I am concerned it isn't worth the risk especially as a YO who will (whether they are or not) be blamed for accidents and injuries and is responsible for the safety and well being of animals (and people) on their property.

One person did bring their dog, terrier type, stupid creature went straight for my dogs and tried to get in, then it killed a duck and then it cornered a cat which laid it's face open with a well aimed (fighting for my life sort of thing) claw, all this before they could catch it. They had the utter nerve to accuse me of having a killer cat! Killer YO more like, I was not a happy bunny that day.

Last edited:

Charlie007

Visit site
I would be fuming in those circumstances.

A dog from next door comes into my horses field and just sits and watches the world go by. I don't have a problem with that at all but I would soon put a stop to it if it started to upset the horse.

Equi

Visit site
If i had a livery i would only allow my own dogs, noone elses. Insurance would not cover it!

smellydogjack

Visit site
We don't have a blanket rule. But we have a strict yard owner- who you obey or she will tie your horse to the gate and you are given 4 hours to get your things - sounds harsh but it works and we have a super yard. I choose not to bring my dog to the yard because I trust my dog and I trust my horse. However I don't trust all the other horses and ultimately it's a yard for horses not dogs. What the OP has described would completely infuriate me.

Getoutmypockets

Visit site
I hear you OP! It drives me potty, your dog might be ok but my horse is not! I had one lady let her dog chase my horses in the field, after much shouting, I waded in to catch it, however it had cornered my pony and I almost ended up getting kicked. Lady did nothing other than pointlessly call the dog, that did not respond, the dog got a hefty kick. I had spent ages desensitising the pony to dogs are most we come across hacking are fine, and all my hard work was undone. But the dog belonged to someone nearby, not a livery, and she no longer brings her dog to poo in my field. It is my pet hate and we also don't allow dogs other than on the lead in the car park due to YO's dogs.

I threatened to report to dog warden if it happened again as dog was chasing the horses. If I were you I'd probably ham up a story about horse being known to kick, purely to deter her 'fun'!

zaminda

Visit site
I always find it amazing when people bring their dogs onto the yard and let them run riot. There was one occasion, although it wasn't a livery dog when a dog tried chasing my herd in the field. The owner stood and watched, right up until the point that my horses turned and chased it from the field. At this point he started swearing at me, having ignored me asking him to call his dog off. I'm afraid I laughed.

{97702}

Visit site
There is only one dog on our yard, a gorgeous Dobermann who belongs to the yard owners. I would not dream of bringing my 4 greyhounds up to the yard & letting them out of the car - everyone at the yard follows the same rule, as I am relatively new I am not sure whether that is through good manners or instruction, I suspect the former :) - I detest badly behaved dogs!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Its going against the general consensus here but I would only consider a yard that allows dogs on the yard. Fine if people want to have a blanket ban, but I wouldn't be on that yard. I have been on three yards (one where the dogs often out-numbered the horses, since most people had one horse and two dogs!). We often had dogs with us when we hacked out, and as a bonus my horse is now thoroughly dog-proofed.

There were often little niggles, but nothing that wasn't easily resolved exactly the same way as the same sort of issues were resolved with the horses. There was usually a fine if anyone didn't clear up after their dog, and YO obviously had the last say on any behaviour issues.

There was one young dog that did have to be banned as it was simply un-trained and had no recall, nothing happened but it was an incident in waiting. That livery didn't actually stay long anyway - I think badly behaved dogs often go along with badly behaved horses and kids.

That said I would be furious if someone allowed their dog to snap at my horses head without treating it as a serious issue and stopping them. We did have a little trouble with one dog snapping at horses heads as we were leaving to hack out but the owner immediately put a stop to it (a water pistol did the trick). I don't mind someone else's dog in my horses field if it isn't bothering it, if its just checking in the hedges or whatever, obviously its different if its bothering the horse at all.

Moomin1

Visit site
It irritates the hell out of me that people allow dogs to roam around livery yards in the first place. The amount of times a dog has jumped out of the hedge next to the school when I am riding my spooky mare is uncountable.

ihatework

Visit site
Its going against the general consensus here but I would only consider a yard that allows dogs on the yard. Fine if people want to have a blanket ban, but I wouldn't be on that yard. I have been on three yards (one where the dogs often out-numbered the horses, since most people had one horse and two dogs!). We often had dogs with us when we hacked out, and as a bonus my horse is now thoroughly dog-proofed.

There were often little niggles, but nothing that wasn't easily resolved exactly the same way as the same sort of issues were resolved with the horses. There was usually a fine if anyone didn't clear up after their dog, and YO obviously had the last say on any behaviour issues.

There was one young dog that did have to be banned as it was simply un-trained and had no recall, nothing happened but it was an incident in waiting. That livery didn't actually stay long anyway - I think badly behaved dogs often go along with badly behaved horses and kids.

That said I would be furious if someone allowed their dog to snap at my horses head without treating it as a serious issue and stopping them. We did have a little trouble with one dog snapping at horses heads as we were leaving to hack out but the owner immediately put a stop to it (a water pistol did the trick). I don't mind someone else's dog in my horses field if it isn't bothering it, if its just checking in the hedges or whatever, obviously its different if its bothering the horse at all.

I'm kind of with you on this.
I have been on yards on both ends of the scale from blanket ban to complete free roaming. It isn't a deal breaker either way for me, but then I'm pretty relaxed in general. If pushed I'd opt for free roaming rather than blanket ban. It's easier for me to be able to exercise the dog, sociable for the dog, and good for the horses to just get on with things.

I can completely see why yards blanket ban dogs for sure, and I can see why some people would not want to be on a yard with loose dogs. Thankfully I haven't experienced any real problems

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
As a YO I would be very very chary of allowing other people's dogs on the yard in any shape or form.

We live on-site, and as well as our two dogs (who are quite rightly possessive over "their" yard), we have guinea fowls, cats, and sheep (not ours, someone else's) in the adjoining field. So lots of good reasons to say no to another dog or dogs on the yard.

My boy was on livery a few years back: it was in a place where the field he was in was close to a place where they had two collie-type dogs, and as well as him and another horse in the field, further up the other end the field was divided up into a separate area where there were two shetlands.

The collies, when I went there to see my boy one day, were hanging around, looking sly, and creeping round the back of the shetlands. I don't know why, but something about it wasn't quite right.

I went to see my horse again the next morning: and KNEW, just knew, that something wasn't right. He is always a very honest horse, and I just knew something had happened, but I didn't know what.

I later found out that during the night, the collie dogs had been chasing the shetland ponies in the other half of the field, apparently chasing after them and trying to jump up at their rear ends. When I asked, I was told "oh not to worry the dogs weren't up the end where your horse was". But whatever happened, had obviously upset him.

I think OP you will have to have a very candid conversation with the YO of this yard. It is she who MUST, simply must, address this problem. Your poor horse is being put in a situation where he cannot relax in the field without a "predator" coming along to attack his face area. That is the most terrifying thing that could happen to a horse because he cannot defend himself - if a dog came at his hind legs/flanks area, then his natural reaction would be to run away and/or kick out, but coming to his face, he cannot defend himself.

The YO should and must address this. The livery who's dog it is should be told that her dog is no longer welcome on the yard and that if this does not suit her, she must leave forthwith.

If YO won't do this, then for the sake of your horse OP, you unfortunately will have to find somewhere else. You cannot let this situation continue.

The other thing about dogs being allowed to roam on a yard is that if they do go into fields, then horses will chase them. Mine would treat a dog they didn't know as a potential predator and if it came into their field it would very likely end up with its head bashed in, so that is another reason for any dog, if they are on a yard, to be under close control - purely for the welfare of the dog.

OP I wouldn't be just livid, I'd be positively vapourised-stroke-atomic.......... :(:(:(

Last edited:

Barnacle

Visit site
Yet again I am amazed by what goes through some dog owners' heads. I love dogs and like seeing them on yards but if that was MY dog I'd be pretty disappointed in myself for failing to raise a dog with good manners and not being able to address the problem through appropriate training. I don't think the problem is dogs or even owners - it's that there isn't enough pressure on dog owners to have a well-behaved dog. People are negative but don't look down on owners in quite the right way. We need to apply more social pressure! A well-behaved dog, like a well-mannered horse, should be something to take pride in and strive for.

Moomin1

Visit site
I just can't grasp why some dog owners think it's perfectly acceptable to allow their dogs to be rummaging free in hedges and bushes right next to an arena (with the owner complete nowhere to be seen) when someone is having a lesson or schooling their horse on livery. What's even worse is said dogs then wander aimlessly around the arena infront of you whilst you are cantering around etc. It's beyond stupidity IMO.

If the owner of the dogs is happy for them to be wandering around in the arena whilst they are riding then fine, that's their look out, but it is completely disrespectful and even negligent IMO for them to allow it to happen during anyone else's time in the school.

gunnergundog

Visit site
As far as I am concerned a livery yard is for liverying horses and a boarding kennel is for dogs.

I would never be on a yard where liveries were allowed to let their dogs run around. Years and years ago I was on a yard that did allow dogs; one very annoying Jack Russell was allowed by its (absent) owner to run up and down the corridor in the American barn. It would jump up at the stable doors and yap non-stop.....that was until one of my horses grabbed it in its chops and slung it down the yard. Dog had to be put down.

Similarly, I would never entertain a yard that allowed unsupervised children.

muckypony

Visit site
Wow I thought I was the only one!

One of the main reasons I left my old yard was because if the amount of dogs that were allowed to run riot, and of course go to the loo everywhere and not be cleared up after. Disgusting and I hated it, took me ages to do anything through scouring the areas before I walked anywhere! Was omce some right outside my stable.... Dogs used to bicker, run around under horses. YOs dog even used to jump up at stable doors and snap at ponies noses!! No one else seemed to mind much, but I was one of the only ones with no dog.

OP yes I would be fuming, and I hope that your YO is too when you tell them!!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Similarly, I would never entertain a yard that allowed unsupervised children.

I would never be on a yard that allowed unsupervised children (or dogs) either, if there even is such a place. From what she said OP's problem dog is supervised, just badly, since owner was right there.

That is a good point about the JS though. TBH they are lucky OP's mare hasn't hurt the dog. Might be worth pointing that out as well, a quick strike with a front leg is very likely in that situation.

gunnergundog

Visit site
I would never be on a yard that allowed unsupervised children (or dogs) either, if there even is such a place.

Oh yes, sadly such places do exist! The yard in question had wonderful facilities and started out being run by a 4* eventer; over time it was taken over by her grooms and then by their grooms etc etc. The clientele changed and instead of being serious competition type riders it became more happy hackers and on one memorable occasion I was asked by another livery whilst I was tacking up if I was going in the school as X (her son!!!) was playing in there!!! For goodness sake, it was a school, not a ****** sand pit!

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
I have no issue with dogs just that I'm fed up of finding dog crap in my half of field in my resting areas!!! The person I share with knows my horse will kick out etc if they go in his paddock just ffs fed up of finding crap in his bit! Lovely dogs but fed up with it now.

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
Oh yes, sadly such places do exist! The yard in question had wonderful facilities and started out being run by a 4* eventer; over time it was taken over by her grooms and then by their grooms etc etc. The clientele changed and instead of being serious competition type riders it became more happy hackers and on one memorable occasion I was asked by another livery whilst I was tacking up if I was going in the school as X (her son!!!) was playing in there!!! For goodness sake, it was a school, not a ****** sand pit!

Some of us so called "happy hackers" are serious riders too! 4.5 hour solo ride with horse still pulling in canter at the end takes some serious dedication!!

gunnergundog

Visit site
Some of us so called "happy hackers" are serious riders too! 4.5 hour solo ride with horse still pulling in canter at the end takes some serious dedication!!

Wasn't meant in a derogatory manner Ebenezer Scrooge...please do not take offence....just trying to describe a group of people who had more 'laid back' type horses rather than sharper competition types and who hacked for pleasure with little or no desire to compete. And if you do endurance I take my hat off to you....I did a few bronze/silver buckle rides in the mid 80's and appreciate the effort and dedication required.

Visit site
I am so glad I am no longer on a livery yard although the one I was on for a short time was grand.

In a perfect world I would have a blanket ban on all dogs. No kids unless they were there to ride their pony and strictly no other friends of kids wanting to pat the pony. I hate dogs nearly as much as I hate kids but kids have their uses - especially when you have shetlands!

At work we have far too many dogs kicking about. The bosses dogs fine and fair does even if they are the biggest Pita's on the planet. But no one else's should be allowed on - mainly cos I get a rollicking off of said mutts owner when I shout the dog in from chasing the gallopers and lock it in a stable or when I belt them one for biting horses noses that are out over the door. I hate barking dogs too and I am forever telling the mutts to shut up! Hobday the lot of them!!!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Kids playing football in the lunge arena. Helper kids doing a XC course-without horses! Kids throwing stuff at riders in the school-all fairly recent. I'd rather a ban on kids, especially the one who ran up behind me and the horse, screaming, horse nearly had me down and the mother thought I was terrible and because I don't have kids, how could I understand blah blah. Bonkers. I'd rather dogs, although the mess drives me nuts. One YO's dog peed on every haynet left out for later. Horrible.

Greylegs

Visit site
I love dogs, but at my current yard they have to be strictly on leads. I recently left an otherwise nice yard for a variety of reasons, but one of them was because the owners 8 dogs were allowed to roam freely and do whatever they wanted, wherever they wanted. Hence there was dog poo all over the place, dogs peeing on hay nets, dogs under horses feet, dogs bothering farriers, dogs getting into fights, .... Just too many uncontrolled dogs for me.

Nik90

Visit site
I would be livid if that happened. I have two dogs & only rarely bring them up when I know there's no one about as the yard backs on to a country park. Every yard I've been on has dogs, but they all know to stay clear of the horses & at the current yard they never enter paddocks or stables, we also have sheep & cows & they never go near any of them either . I think they're scared of the horses though as when we're walking one they hide under the nearest thing they can find. I also warn any yards when I'm viewing that my gelding can & will attack dogs, chase, stomp, bite & kick. I find badly behaved kids worse & left last yard after another liveries kids started hitting the outside of the stable with wood causing my horse to pin me in panic.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am a huge fan of dogs on yards and expect my horses to accept them.
I expect them to keep working when the dogs pop up in the school to accept the horses walking in and out the stables and them going about the fields in a group stuff like that is nothing but good for horses .
However if I owned a DIY yard I think I would have a no dog rule because policing the idiot owners would be too hard work .
Op I hope the Yoer takes this seriously but go gently if you have not seen the behaviour for yourself , some people love to built things up into a huge palaver and cause a storm .

I*HM

Visit site
I have always been on yards where dogs where common. My local yard back home the YM had 2 dogs, the YO had 4 and the RI had 2 - plus or minus various waifs and strays that would be acquired through out the year (YM was a big softy and couldn't say no to a dog in need of a home/holiday/fostering). All dogs had to behave impeccably or were banned - simple. Never any problem as dogs were supervised. If ever they couldn't be supervised, they were safely put away in various dog runs and kennels. Gave security to the yard, company for whoever was there early in the morning and kept down vermin (rats and mice didn't stand a chance against JRT).
Dog beds in every tack room, office and no dogs allowed in kitchen, schools, fields.

the real nightmare were the kids - now perhaps its because I'm not very tolerant for high energy young things but overly enthusiastic 7-14 year old running riot was too much for me to cope with on a daily basis - especially as they all took a shine to me and liked nothing better than to follow me everywhere asking a million questions and poking and prodding at everything I did. I'd take well behaved dogs over unruly children any day!!

ETA: used to ride a friend's horse at her yard, she was keen to have her dogs free range but after one chased me, snapping at the horse's heels when I was trying to school in the field she very begrudgingly kept said dog close at heel. As much as I love dogs - safety first. Horrible feeling thinking that either dog is going to get kicked/stood on, horse bitten or me catapulted out of the saddle.

Last edited: