Yard Rules

rotters13

Visit site
I'd be wary of putting in rules like 'Horses must be turned out between the hours of x,y z and must be fully mucked out by x, y, z,' It's DIY... much better is 'The horse must be fed and watered at all times!' Remember it's a yard not a military camp!!!!

wellsat

Visit site
No smoking in stables or barns and no alcohol at all. Have been on a yard with an alcoholic and its just dangerous. I don't want someone who is too drunk to stand being around my horse on a regular basis. Too much risk of gates being left open or getting run over by her car.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Well, I've downloaded the BHS draft livery form which is pretty comprehensive, and altered it to suit my requirements. I've got room for two DIY's here, and before have always had friends and/or someone I knew like a recommendation from a friend, so will have to get organised for the next ones that come.

The things I would add are stuff like:

Anyone seen smoking will be asked to leave
No alcohol on the yard
Horses must be regularly wormed & vacinated
Horses must be seen to twice daily
Between months of November - March, daytime turnout only
No lights left on unnecessarily or taps left running (we're on water meter!)
All gates to be firmly closed and padlocked (they pay for a set of keys)
Yard to be left clean and tidy
Dogs to be cleaned up after & if seen chasing sheep might end up getting shot!
Cars must be parked away from access road
No entry to private living quarters adjacent to yard
Anyone under 18 must be supervised at all times (we're a farm here so hazards!)
Correct apparel, i.e. hat/footwear to be worn when handling horses (same as on a BHS yard)

Etc etc

MochaDun

Visit site
If we had rules at our yard (I wish...) it would be No Smoking near stables, haylage bales and don't drop fag ends all over the yard. Brush up outside your stable and do your part to keep communal areas clean. Remove droppings from driveway and arena. No horse to be left out or put out by itself. Think about others in evening who might arrive late and on their own if you take the last of the haylage and if others around get them to help you move a bale even if you might not need it (takes 3 people to roll and tip a bale into position).