(+)
-24/7 turnout whenever
-relaxed atmosphere
-small yard
-good friends
-arena
(-)
-no stabling (one box if Ill)
-nobody else competitive, more of a happy hacking yard.

Yard 2-
(+)
-better facilities(walker arena gallops xc course)
-indoor stabling
-competitive yard
-only us and 2 other liveries.
(-)
-have to be in on a night in winter
-a bit posher so not sure what they would think to my old sway backed mare haha
-bigger yard (30 horses) bit mainly yo's

So would you go for facilities or turnout?
Thanks!

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
I think this one depends on what is important to YOU not anyone else.

I am at a certain yard because of the training and their knowledge of the breed of horses I have. They however, do not have good facilities at all and the turnout is not good at all......even when it is not raining it isn't great LOL.
Prior to this yard, I was at an amazing yard with two bit posh full size outdoor schools and posh full size indoor, had hacking straight onto downs link AND they had weekly comps there AND stabling etc was excellent. BUT they were no good for my horse as lacked experience in the breed and their normal training methods didnt suit us.

So, it is what is important to YOU :)

oldie48

Visit site
Depends on you and what your horse are used to. Do you clip in winter? Is the land in yard one well drained and plentiful? Mud fever has been really common this year with all the rain and difficult to deal with if you can't get your horse in the dry. Is there a field shelter so horse can get out of worst of rain, wind and flies? Is there easy access to water?

My horses are used to being in at night and wait by the gate to come in but I've kept native ponies and a TB mare out 24/7 and they were happy. Is your mare used to being out all the time?

If neither of these yards is completely right for you, why not look for another option? Good luck, being on the right yard with nice people makes such a difference

usernamepending

Visit site
Thanks for replies. In theory the yard should be perfect, but I'm just so aprehensive about moving! It's taken us a while to find a yard with spaces for three horses so my worry is if it's truly awful we won't be able to move?

Thanks for your replies I think it's just one of those things I'm going to have to mull over!

pipwat

Visit site
I have recently been in a similar situation & was aprehensive moving perhaps because I was comfortable where I was & change is always a bit daunting especially where horses are concerned. If you are thinking of moving in the first place there must be a reason/niggle/something your not quite happy with to be considering moving in the first place. Can this be rectified at your current yard or the one you thinking of moving to. No yard is perfect & there will always be a compromise so perhaps list what is important to you & compare both yards accordingly. Good luck with whatever you decide to do moving is always a hassle.

T's mum

Visit site
Yard 2, most yards have horses in at night during winter and if I was a horse I'd prefer it too thinking back to the last few winters we've had! ;)

hnmisty

Visit site
If yard 2 has daily turnout then I would be tempted by that one, as I have always stabled at night in the winter anyway.

guess it depends on what you are after really. Are you likely to use the XC course, or the gallops, or the horse walker?