Yard with no winter turnout- should i run for the hills?

Samantha008

Visit site
Moving my horse in a few months- found a yard i really like, 10 mins from home, ok facilities, affordable but best of all one of my best friends keeps her horse there.

It ticks all the boxes except that from dec-april(ish) they have to live in 24/7. They can be turned out in the sand paddock whilst you muck out or for a kick around and can be turned in there twice a day but only for about half an hour.

Im not sure what to so, my horse is such a dosile creature im sure shed be fine- but she is a mare and i dont want her to turn into a bi*tch!! Feels a bit cruel, but all their other liveries are fine....and turning out in the weather this morning made me think it might not be too bad.

What would you do?

My only other option of yard is an extra 10 mins further away, but thats the only downside- other than that its perfect.

Thanks

glamourpuss

Visit site
Turn out is an absolute must for me. I wouldn't even consider a yard that shut horses in for nearly half the year. The thought just makes me shudder.
It's got to be the 2nd yard....what's an extra 10 minute drive for your horses well being?

noodle_

Visit site
tbh i would prefer a bit of turnout a day (saying the one whos about to go drag my wuss of a warmblood in)

few hours a day even in winter is essential imo (or at least the option )

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
I would NEVER consider a yard where there was no turnout, let alone for 5 months of the year. Just asking for physical and behavioural problems IMO.
An extra 10 mins travel is a bargain in my eyes, your horse will be so much happier. I keep my horse 35mins from me so he can be out all year, and seeing him happily grazing and playing is worth every min.

Switchthehorse

darcyandme.wordpress.com
In my opinion couldn't do no turn out - I used to - when I first moved to my original yard i was told no turn out from Dec - April but use of school etc - in reality it ended up being September to May!!! And the 'use of school' for 1/2 hr dissappeared on lots of days too - or they all got bunged in there together. Having moved to another yard where there is all year turnout I have seen SUCH a difference in the happiness/health/general wellbeing of my nag I could never go back to restricted - even if they just get an hour in the field I think it is worth that extra 10 miles no question!!

monkeybum13

Visit site
Whilst I appreciate that horses have to stay in at my yard when the weather is bad (they've been in a lot this winter) I would never consider a yard with absolutley no turnout oct-april.

We have a sand paddock for when they're in which is fab but there's only 6 horses on the yard, if the yard was bigger can you be guaranteed to be able to use it when you want to use it? Will other people be using it when you want to?

10 mins extra is nothing, sounds like a much better yard for your horse.

neddynesbitt

Visit site
In my opinion couldn't do no turn out - I used to - when I first moved to my original yard i was told no turn out from Dec - April but use of school etc - in reality it ended up being September to May!!! And the 'use of school' for 1/2 hr dissappeared on lots of days too - or they all got bunged in there together. Having moved to another yard where there is all year turnout I have seen SUCH a difference in the happiness/health/general wellbeing of my nag I could never go back to restricted - even if they just get an hour in the field I think it is worth that extra 10 miles no question!!

Same as above, it always ends up coming in earlier and going out later :( my lad was banned from going in the school with the others as he played too much. But I couldn't get into the school to work him either as others were turned out in the school. I used to have to hang around until they came in, there was no point putting him out there alone as he used to just stand at the gate with his head hung down as he was on his own.

Sometimes he would move away from the gate but then I would get into trouble with the yard owner as he would put his head through the fence trying to get grass and broke the fence.

He was later diagnosed with navicular and the vet at a very well respected equine hospital said that standing in with no turnout can in some cases cause navicular as they are not moving around at all hence lack of circulation in the feet :( He also said a lot of dressage horses suffer from it due to no turnout.

I would never in a million years go back to a yard with no turnout. I lost my poor boy aged only 11, who knows he may well still have got navicular but even the vets and farrier said he had perfect looking feet, well balanced etc. They were not the typical boxy looking feet. He never had any problems until he went to the yard with no turnout :(

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
If it's a dedicated turnout area and won't be needed for people riding, and your horse likes being stabled, then it wouldn't be a problem. We only turn them out for 3 hours a day in the sand turnout during the winter. The horses are all chilled and have no problems resulting from this regime. In fact, they never suffer from mud fever and are always nice and clean and happy. They get to go out 24/7 in the summer, and love it, but they are all wusses and hate being out in the wind and rain. However, they do get out EVERY day for at least 3 hours. I would not see it as a problem if you could be guaranteed two turnouts of half an hour a day during the winter. So long as the horse has ridden exercise too.

hackedoff

Visit site
I would prefer all day t/o all year but round here its clay soil and a high rainfall area (catchment for Manchester resevoirs). The yard I'm on has two sacrifice fields that are steep slopes so less boggu in winter for daily t/o in winter and use of some small padocks and the school for demics like mine. Took me ages to find it as pretty well every else round here has no winter t/out.

Ladydragon

Visit site
What would you do?

My only other option of yard is an extra 10 mins further away, but thats the only downside- other than that its perfect.

Thanks

I'd got with the extra 10 minutes personally...

I just can't imagine them all living in a stable for a chunk of the year... I've kept mine in today because the field's taken a bashing and the whole yard voted to stay in and give the turnout chance to drain and check fencing etc - but they're normally out every day in the winter no matter what...

It must make a difference on costs too with extra feeding/bedding...

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I've moved my injured gelding to s different yard. It's temporary to use the walker to aid his recovery.

The turnout situation on this yard is. the same as you said.

My gelding is not allowed turnout and it will be restricted when he is allowed.

The yard is nice and the people lovely, but this definitely will only be temporary and we will move back to the old yard, by next winter at the latest when he has completely and wants full winter turnout. Obviously the summer turnout us fine and he will.go out as normal.

I do feel sorry for the horses at this yard, they are all well looked after and healthy but they just seem a little grumpy and not contents.
You walk down the yard and most if their heads are out, waiting for something interesting to happen and they all seem to want to nip you as you go back.
At my usual yard when the horses are in, even when I'm at the yard early and wake them up, they arnt interested in ne or looking out, they are content eating or relaxing.

indi4

Visit site
For me TO in a winter is a must, and my old yard offered fab winter TO, but most yards round here only give you postage size turn out paddocks in winter which after a couple of weeks the horses are knee deep in mud, which i wouldn't TO in.

I think if you can guarrentee that you can get in the sand school to TO for 1/2hr twice a day and ride most days it might be workable depending on the horse, but if you couldn't guarrentee that i wouldn't go there. A know a lot of places where horses don't get TO it makes it very difficult to get in the school or sand TO paddocks as everyone else is trying to use them to get there horses legs streched

Tammytoo

Visit site
Winter turnout is an absolute must as far as I'm concerned. Your mare may well be a nice docile girl, but she may not stay that way if she's only getting the odd half hour in a sand school!

I know it's nice to have your best mate around, but I think you have to put your mare first in this instance.

rhino

Visit site
Nope, all year turnout is the most important factor for me when I'm choosing a yard. The yard I am at currently is a 25 minute drive each way.

Louby

Visit site
Ive done it and its hard work. I made sure I did someting with my horse every day as I dont feel its right to keep a horse in 24/7 and have no exercise at all although the majority on the yard never seemed to bother and just tied their horses up outside whilst they mucked out.
If you work, its a long hard winter with no turnout. If you dont work or work part time, then I think its doable.

ecrozier

Visit site
I'm another who would without doubt drive the extra 10 mins. Assuming you go twice a day - that's an extra 40 mins? Equate that with the extra time you would spend mucking out a second time every day, changing rugs twice to allow the two short turnouts, filling extra nets etc, and extra costs of bedding, haylage etc. and time spent making sure they get exercised/fed every day!

ISHmad

Visit site
No turnout is a complete no no for me. I just dont think it is fair to keep a horse cooped up 24/7 unless on box rest.

CobSunshine

Visit site
its disgusting people keep their horses in with no turnout. Stuck in a stable unable to work the muscles properly or get any form of cardio vascular workout.

for their well being and health definitely go to the yard 10 minutes further away

dunkley

Visit site
In fact, they never suffer from mud fever and are always nice and clean and happy.

I bet it's as much the owners are happy that the horses are always nice and clean! ;);)

My boy - almost white now - is never happier than when he is out, caked in mud, and wallowing in the biggest patch of slop he can find ;)

I am another one who would never consider a blanket ban on winter turnout. At our old yard, many moons ago, sometimes it was 'turn out to muck out' but the YO did his absolute best to keep those days to a minimum and was always very apologetic when he had to 'close' paddocks. However, we always had excellent grazing, and 24/7 as soon as the fields could stand it.

If the second yard is such a short distance away, you could probably still meet up with your friend.

Samantha008

Visit site
Thanks for all your responses, im glad that you all think similar to me- wanted to check i wasnt being soft thinking that no turnout was awful:/

Im going to meet the YO on saturday, will defo double check all the rules and im sure my friend will be able to tell me the truth of situation too.

The other yard doesnt have any space at the minute so im added to the waiting list but will consider moving should a space come up for sure!!!! :/

CobSunshine

Visit site
My boy is out 24/7 he loves it out with his friends in a natural enviroment. People say to me some times oh look at your horse he as mud on him and you have to brush mud off befour you ride. My responce would rather brush him,then put him in a stable he doesnt want to be in then muck out every day. Can under stand why tbs need to come in etc. But my boy is a fluffy cob with a brill natural coat, that no amount of money can buy from robbinsons lol.

10 mins is nothing think how much your horsie will love you for it.

padderpaws

Visit site
When I first brought my horse It was summer and he had turnout 24/7. I could ride him every where on his own and in company. I had a lovely relationship with him and things were great. THEN: Winter Regime set in and they were stabled. We have no sand school or anything so HAVE to ride every day to get them out of the stable. I now can not do anything with my horse and am completely dependent on someone hacking out with me. DON'T do it. I have been very depressed and am trying to get somewhere that can help us get back to how we were.

yellowdun

Visit site
I do a round trip of an hour to my yard as it guarantees all year turnout. I can keep him out 24/7 all year if I like with no pressure to bring in. The fields are good so he isn't in any mud.

Its worth it to me because he is happy and I have peace of mind knowing he isn't bored in a stable.

Not sure what I'll do when we move to Yorkshire as I realise how lucky I am at present.