Yard workers - bank holiday pay

Snowysadude

Visit site
Yep, I start a new job good friday and work easter sunday and monday as well :(. No special pay then! Also working over the wedding, they better still want me after the bank holidays are over or I am being well and truly used :p

Silmarillion

Visit site
I always got paid exactly the same - any day of the week (though was never expected to work Christmas Day) and got paid for the same number of hours per day despite what I actually worked. Hence why I left :rolleyes:

Angelbones

Visit site
As an employer this is always an interesting issue. The 'rules' don't differentiate between yard workers or any other type of worker. The way we understand the law is that employees are not necessarily entitled to the day of the bank holiday off, but are entitled to a day off in lieu - there are no rules about whether you pay extra to the staff that work on the actual day of the bank holiday; this is down to the individual employer eg if you get time and half. In other words as a starting point you either get the bank holiday off, or you get to take off a day at another time, which you are paid for at your normal rate.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
The way we understand the law is that employees are not necessarily entitled to the day of the bank holiday off, but are entitled to a day off in lieu - there are no rules about whether you pay extra to the staff that work on the actual day of the bank holiday; this is down to the individual employer eg if you get time and half. In other words as a starting point you either get the bank holiday off, or you get to take off a day at another time, which you are paid for at your normal rate.

There is actually NO legal requirement for an employer to give time off in lieu of a bank holiday - unless an individual employer offers this as an extra entitlement.

The LEGAL requirement is you are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid annual leave (28 days for someone working five days a week). This number of days may include bank holidays (so if you don't work on 5 bank holidays you would only be entitled to another 23 days of paid holiday.)

There is no requirement to be paid extra for any holiday day.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
The laws have recently changed, which I'm guessing is how JanetGeorge has just described it :) Which is interesting as I'm still hearing of office jobs quoting 25 days holiday, but I digress.

Unless this bit has changed as well, there is no legal requirement to add the Bank Holidays to the number of holiday days a job quotes, but I can't see that going down too well! We only have 'staff' on short, fixed term contracts or as associates - much less hassle that way! But we are in a different industry.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
My staff do far better than me :) I work 365 days a year with no days off, no holiday, and peanuts for a reward. Staff is part-time, well-paid, time off when they need it for whatever reason, however inconvenient (I just get up earlier/work later), I do their horse when they are away foc, lots of perks including free travel for their horse to competitions etc, free lessons with me, free lessons with visiting coaches, free accommodation for horse, meals if they are here at mealtimes, a bit of extra cash for petrol etc when they are short, motherly counselling when required ...

So no, I don't pay extra if they happen to work on a bank holiday:D

ellie_e

Visit site
My staff do far better than me :) I work 365 days a year with no days off, no holiday, and peanuts for a reward. Staff is part-time, well-paid, time off when they need it for whatever reason, however inconvenient (I just get up earlier/work later), I do their horse when they are away foc, lots of perks including free travel for their horse to competitions etc, free lessons with me, free lessons with visiting coaches, free accommodation for horse, meals if they are here at mealtimes, a bit of extra cash for petrol etc when they are short, motherly counselling when required ...

Can i come and work for you?! Sounds brilliant!!:D

lea840

Visit site
I dont pay my staff extra, unless it is the likes of over Christmas and NYE... and they get paid very hansomely... and make around £100 each in tips alone on NYE, so they love to work over Christmas... Think I'll buy them an Easter Egg this year... (Only a cream egg tho ) lol

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site

Can I come and work for you?? :D

ridersince2002

Visit site
Im only a teenager, and have no qualifications what-so-ever (but planning to take stage 1 this year :D ) but i have some fairly good experience for my age- nothing special though. But as im a teenager i seem to get the mickey taken a fair bit at my new job at a posh livey yard. Everyone was on their break, and i was about to start mine when i had emptied my wheelbarrow, but i was asked to do 101 other little jobs before i sat down :rolleyes:

But i think the money i get for it is pretty good for me, when you think i have no qualifications or anything and my age.. its all good fun anyway! And its all about gaining experience for me at the moment to be honest, i would hapily do what i do for free if they said they couldnt afford to pay me :)

Forgot to add: I get paid for however many hours i do, bank holiday or regular weekend doesnt make any difference!

pansy

Visit site
One of my friend works @ a busy yard & everyone there has to be self employed - no holiday pay @ all they are told when they to come in & what they need to do - I can't believe that they all stick it to be honest She has been there now for over 10 years she also keeps her horse there and has to pay for any services on her days off !!!