Yards and prices around Glasgow

High Hope

Visit site
Hey all; just wondering of what yards are available and approx costs around Glasgow itself?

My horse is 17.2, so he needs a larger size box; and I'm stuck on public transport for the super near future so that is a concern as well!
I'll be coming from Glasgow city; I've heard Newton Mearns might be a good start?

Help pretty please ! ?

Caol Ila

Visit site
There aren't a great many yards accessible by public transport, unfortunately. Only one I know of that's great for that is Kenmure in Bishopbriggs, but the stables they had available when I looked at it about six weeks ago were tiny. Maybe worth ringing them, though. Number 60 bus goes close-ish to Easterton, Bank End, and Milndavie, but you'll have a fair walk to the yard (along a shite road for Easterton). Maybe better for Bank End and Milndavie as they're closer to the A81. It's still an hour bus ride, easily, from the city.

There's Kirkton in Eaglesham, but I don't know how close it is to bus routes. I've seen one advertised in Neilston on the Central Scotland Livery Yard FB page, and Neilston has a direct train. There are some yards around Airdie, and trains go there as well.

South Cathkin probably has bus and train routes to it, given it's basically in Rutherglen.

There's a bunch around Lochwinnoch and Kilbarchan, but I have no idea what the public transport is like to that part of the world.

High Hope

Visit site
There aren't a great many yards accessible by public transport, unfortunately. Only one I know of that's great for that is Kenmure in Bishopbriggs, but the stables they had available when I looked at it about six weeks ago were tiny. Maybe worth ringing them, though. Number 60 bus goes close-ish to Easterton, Bank End, and Milndavie, but you'll have a fair walk to the yard (along a shite road for Easterton). Maybe better for Bank End and Milndavie as they're closer to the A81. It's still an hour bus ride, easily, from the city.

There's Kirkton in Eaglesham, but I don't know how close it is to bus routes. I've seen one advertised in Neilston on the Central Scotland Livery Yard FB page, and Neilston has a direct train. There are some yards around Airdie, and trains go there as well.

South Cathkin probably has bus and train routes to it, given it's basically in Rutherglen.

There's a bunch around Lochwinnoch and Kilbarchan, but I have no idea what the public transport is like to that part of the world.

That's super helpful; thank you so much for your time !
The worst thing is I KNOW it's big horse country close by; I just didn't know where !
Thank you for the info though I'll look into those :)

Cloball

Visit site
Theres lomondside stud if you get the bus through to drymen, lovely very experienced yard owners but I imagine the bus may take some time as it's a good 40 min drive. The only other yard I know is outside Kirkintilloch and they have giant stables but I don't think very public transport friendly.

High Hope

Visit site
Theres lomondside stud if you get the bus through to drymen, lovely very experienced yard owners but I imagine the bus may take some time as it's a good 40 min drive. The only other yard I know is outside Kirkintilloch and they have giant stables but I don't think very public transport friendly.

Hello stranger !!!
Cheers, I'll check that out :)

Cloball

Visit site
Oh hello thought I might have recognised the dog. I have a friend at the yard in Kirkintilloch who might be able to offer you lifts but she's full livery so I'm not sure she goes up every day. She might be able to help advise though.

Lajc91

Visit site
can you let me know details re yard near Kirkintilloch?

LeneHorse

Visit site
South Cathkin is a fair hike from the buses on the East Kilbride Road - I wouldn’t describe it as Rutherglen.

Sorry, can’t help with yards around there nowadays.
I'll second this. I've done that hike when its been too snowy to get the car up the hill and it is partly on an unlit B road and uphill all the way. Not something I would care to do on a daily basis.

Eta - oops just noticed this was an old thread. Hopefully OP is happily settled somewhere now.

Last edited: