Yay, FINALLY I have a new horse

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
As those of you who’ve read my posts will know, I have recently been looking for a full loan.

Well, not last weekend but the weekend before that I had a weekend of trying out potential horses, less said the better really as they were either completely NOT as described or people kept cancelling on me/switching times at last minute etc.

A lady who lives in the next village, who is actually a member of HHO (although don’t know what her username is) contacted me through FB and said she had a horse she had up for sale but that she’d full loan to the right home and thought he might be nice for dressage. She said he’d been at the local equestrian college for a bit up until Easter but he’d been expelled due to having all the students off :eek: but she assured me it was out of character and it was because he was wound up having no turnout and also they kept putting total novices on him and when he spooked, they clamped their leg on and tensed and then he ran off. ANYWAY, decided I may as well go and see him as he was only in the next village.

Saw him, rode him, liked him :) He didn’t put a hoof wrong when I rode him. He was quite lazy but to be honest he is pretty fat and unfit. I think once I get him a bit thinner and fitter he’ll be more forward and sharper off the leg. Also didn’t wear spurs when trying him out but will do in future. Owner has owned him for 6 years (so I thought he can’t be that bad or she wouldn’t have kept him so long) said she’d just never really ‘gelled’ with him like she has her other horse, she likes hacking and he is quite spooky to hack alone which unnerves her, she feels a more confident rider would gel with him a lot better and also she can’t afford 2 really.

ANYWAY, agreed to have him. He arrived last Wednesday and best of all HE’S KEPT 300 YARDS UP THE ROAD at my neighbours. Again, those of you who know me will know I have been travelling for a very long time now, 27 miles to ride the mare I was riding 4-5 x a week and all the travelling and expense of it all was starting to take its toll. So to have a horse, literally a 60 second walk away from my house is amazing. Have use of all the facilities, including an all-weather, floodlit ménage so very, very happy :D

Gave him last Thursday off completely to settle etc and then last Fri eve after work lunged him. He was really good and responsive on the lunge. Lunged him again on Sunday and got on him for the first time last night. He attempted a couple of spooks when we first got in the school but I gave him a boot and he carried on and was fine. Last night I really just wanted to assess him to see what I need to work on etc.

He needs to be a lot suppler laterally and in general, he swings his quarters in in trot and canter on the left rein so think I really need to work on getting him more supple on that rein so he straightens up. He needs to be sharper off the leg and carry me forward more but apart from that he really isn’t *too* bad! Forgot to add, he’s 12 so no spring chicken however not TOO old I feel that with fittening and suppling up couldn’t come good. The basics are there, he’s fairly established and balanced, fairly uphill. He just needs some work which I really don’t mind putting in :)

I am off on holiday to Mexico for a week on the 14th so when I get back am going to get lessons booked in with my instructor, as she’ll have to travel fairly far and will charge me the extra for petrol, I’m hoping to be able to get away with fortnightly lessons as opposed to weekly that I have been having since….well forever really. That’s another reason why I liked him as he’s 12, so not a baby and so is already fairly established and so I don’t need constant weekly lessons (although they would be nice) and also he has the same ‘faults’ if you like as G, so feel I can assess and work on them fairly easy without constant outside help.

ANYWAY, enough with the talking.

Here is Mac, 15.2 12 year old, ginger Heinz 57 as honestly not sure what breed he is and neither is owner. Going to do our first comp end of June, just a couple of Prelims to see how we fare and then hope to get him out a lot during the summer and will see how he’s going at the end of summer/beginning of Autumn.

536128_586990327250_272900965_2220915_444425212_a.jpg

559382_588140382530_272900965_2227417_715641397_a.jpg

He is fat, but am hoping he’ll shed the excess pretty quickly :eek:.

And a few from our first ride last night

579352_588140327640_272900965_2227415_1134917064_a.jpg

577995_588140302690_272900965_2227414_687609665_a.jpg

72923_588140412470_272900965_2227419_750442473_a.jpg

538745_588140337620_272900965_2227416_199668910_a.jpg

552016_588140427440_272900965_2227420_33633793_a.jpg

Also, a quick vid. To be honest it’s pretty awful and rushed etc I know but I wasn’t trying to ‘school’ him or even correct him, just see what he was like and assess him so please no CC. You know me, there will be PLENTY of vids and pics to CC over the next few months ;)!

http://s748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/horsemadme/?action=view&current=Picture186.mp4

imr

Visit site
Thats really good news, really pleased for you to have found something and to be able to have him so near too.

Let us know how you get on !

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
He's lovely! I really really like him :D Lots more pics and vids please, would love to see his canter :)

The Welsh D wasn't right then?

His canter's nice, needs work on the left rein though as he tries to swing his quarters in. But little things like that I don't mind, they can be worked on.

HA! Ahem, no let's just say it definitely wasn't right. Owner only decided to inform me once I got there that actually; he hadn't been ridden this year yet apart from the previous week when someone else came to try him :eek: . She wouldn’t get on him first as she was pregnant but assured me he’d be okay. I thought bugger it, may as well get on since I’ve driven all the way over here after work. It proceeded to buck, rear, go up and down on spot, sideways. WOULDN’T go forward and when I asked all toys were thrown out of pram. Was so far BTV the whole time I had nothing in my hands to do anything with. She also deigned to tell me that he’d only ever been to one show and that wasn’t even a show it was a pleasure ride and it completely ‘blew his brains.’ :confused: Yup, definitely not what I’m looking for.

MillionDollar

Visit site
His canter's nice, needs work on the left rein though as he tries to swing his quarters in. But little things like that I don't mind, they can be worked on.

HA! Ahem, no let's just say it definitely wasn't right. Owner only decided to inform me once I got there that actually; he hadn't been ridden this year yet apart from the previous week when someone else came to try him :eek: . She wouldn’t get on him first as she was pregnant but assured me he’d be okay. I thought bugger it, may as well get on since I’ve driven all the way over here after work. It proceeded to buck, rear, go up and down on spot, sideways. WOULDN’T go forward and when I asked all toys were thrown out of pram. Was so far BTV the whole time I had nothing in my hands to do anything with. She also deigned to tell me that he’d only ever been to one show and that wasn’t even a show it was a pleasure ride and it completely ‘blew his brains.’ :confused: Yup, definitely not what I’m looking for.

Jeez! Some people! No, definitely not what you want. Good thing really, as I really do like Mac :D

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
I know, he was just totally not as described at all. It was so embarassing both for me and her. When he was leaping about being a prat, I just looked at her at one stage and said 'is this behaivour normal for him?' she said 'Yes, it's what he did with me for the first 3-4 months.' The loan was only for a year, if I had to spend the first 3-4 months putting up with all that and sorting that out??

Thanks, he is a lovely boy! Let's hope he stays that way!

tibby

Visit site
I am really pleased that you are both getting on, will be interesting to see some of the comments on here!! Like the pictures and videos, I told you it would be worth trying him!

Thistle

Visit site
B says she rode him at college, was told he was a bit idle but got after him and he went beautifully. Says she got a really nice tune from him once he switched on so looks like he has potential to be a nice horse with a bit of further schooling.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Congratulations on the new horse. I hope your both very happy together and have a wonderful time competeing!

JustMe22

Visit site
Very exciting! I've read some of your posts with the mare you were riding, and this seems altogether more convenient :) I hope you have a fantastic time with him!