Yay - Hickstead and The Sunshine Tour!

Bernster

Visit site
The Sunshine Tour at Hickstead - Sept 16-18. Anyone going, anyone watching? Anyone know what the standard is like? Any tips and tricks for a newbie?

Despite the fact the we've only done 3 shows, and will be totally outclassed, I couldn't resist what I'm sure will be the only chance I get to ride at Hickstead. It's all a bit ridiculous, as neither of us is in any shape for showing really, but I'm going for the experience and the fun of it. Although tbh I'd really like not to come last but someone's got to I suppose.

We've qualified for the novice ridden showing (supposedly for first timers) and ridden hunter. I also have a training show there on the Friday to practice.

In a frenzy of last minute preparation, portly F is on a fitness exercise regime and might even get more than 1 bath before we get there. I have a showing clinic this weekend at Herts county show ground so that we both get some experience of being in a bigger ring, and super groom is giving him a once over the day before. I have a support group of two friends, to keep me from wobbling off the side with nerves. Other than that, we are hopelessly unprepared but I'm banking on there actually being some genuine amateurs there, although I suspect there will be some very serious contenders as well.

Pic to show that he scrubs up ok, with about 5 hours of elbow grease and a helper...
image_25.jpeg

helenchat

Visit site
Nice to hear about some other people going!
I'm in the working hunter pony class- I'm very much an amateur when it comes to showing, did a few very local classes a few years ago and simply went along to the qualifier this year as it was the only place jumping on grass - and I wanted to get some practice in with my new pony before our first ode together !
So the championships will be only our second whp class together �� Can't help but feel I'm a bit mad! Unfortunately I'm on holiday for the next week so I've drafted in a friend to help keep him exercised. I'm really just going for the experience, my sister went last year for elementary dressage and enjoyed it, so hopefully we'll have some fun!

Bernster

Visit site
Well done - hope you have a brilliant time :)
Thank you :)

Nice to hear about some other people going!
I'm in the working hunter pony class- I'm very much an amateur when it comes to showing, did a few very local classes a few years ago and simply went along to the qualifier this year as it was the only place jumping on grass - and I wanted to get some practice in with my new pony before our first ode together !
So the championships will be only our second whp class together �� Can't help but feel I'm a bit mad! Unfortunately I'm on holiday for the next week so I've drafted in a friend to help keep him exercised. I'm really just going for the experience, my sister went last year for elementary dressage and enjoyed it, so hopefully we'll have some fun!

Ooh, that makes me feel better that there are others who aren't true showing gurus and just want to go have fun. Best of luck! I'm also away next week which is really not helpful in terms of prep!

Gorgeous horse, since I got my girl I've had a bit of a thing for greys who's dapples have faded a little. How old is he? Oh, and congrats!!!

Thank you, I also have a thing for greys now, when I was never that keen before. He's 6yo and been a poppet the whole time I've had him (18 months now). He's pretty light given his age so I suspect he will go white fairly quickly.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Get there as early as you can. Are you in the temporary stables? If so, and there's rain forecast, take plenty of extra bedding, heard many complaints about the stables becoming mud baths. Be prepared for lots of walking, and don't fret about being outclassed at all. It's a good atmosphere but very very busy and last year was really disorganised.

I'd love to come over and see you but I don't think I'll get the time as we're supposed to be doing our first BE on 18th.

Bernster

Visit site
Ooh JB - BE is mega exciting. Good luck!

Glad I booked a permanent stable but will take extra shavings in case I need it. Can you remember what the class sizes were like for the showing? Not looking forward to disorganisation, hope they've improved. F will be on his toes but hopefully being there for 3 days he might settle down eventually! Maybe in time to go home haha.

madginger

Visit site
I'm also going but doing the dressage!!

Also just going for the experience lol as never done anything really big like this before and starting to get a little scared/excited :0)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site

Glad I booked a permanent stable but will take extra shavings in case I need it. Can you remember what the class sizes were like for the showing? Not looking forward to disorganisation, hope they've improved. F will be on his toes but hopefully being there for 3 days he might settle down eventually! Maybe in time to go home haha.

Sorry I'm not sure, I didn't do any of the showing.

BE was mega-exciting but I've had to withdraw, had vet out today and he needs a bone scan as is bilaterally lame behind :(

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
I'm going with my little miniature, he's qualified in the inhand veteran. Having never been before, do we get more info ahead of the day (entry passes etc). I haven't booked a stable as only there for the one class (and he's small enough to be comfy in the trailer if we qualify for the next and have to wait around)

Bernster

Visit site
I'm going with my little miniature, he's qualified in the inhand veteran. Having never been before, do we get more info ahead of the day (entry passes etc). I haven't booked a stable as only there for the one class (and he's small enough to be comfy in the trailer if we qualify for the next and have to wait around)

Exciting! Mi am also wondering this as have t had any further info after I booked. No idea what to do. I hope this isn't a sign of the disorganisation that JB saw��

Jenn - whaaaaaat?! That's hideous news, I'm so sorry. Gutting for you, hope it sorts itself out quickly.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
As far as I remember, you have to log onto their website to get all info: we didn't need entry passes last year! Entrance is the usual Hickstead horsebox entrance (not the dressage horsebox entry). We had to queue for ages to get in so do leave plenty of time.

Bernster, I was expecting it to be honest, he's not been 100% for some time, and I've always known he'd get joint problems behind as he's such a big chap and spent his first 4 ridden years hunting. Pretty sure it's just wear and tear, and we can sort it out with jabbing, but it's just where we need to jab that we need to investigate. It's annoying that it's come right now, just as we are getting going but hey ho, that's horses.

Bernster

Visit site
As far as I remember, you have to log onto their website to get all info: we didn't need entry passes last year! Entrance is the usual Hickstead horsebox entrance (not the dressage horsebox entry). We had to queue for ages to get in so do leave plenty of time.

Bernster, I was expecting it to be honest, he's not been 100% for some time, and I've always known he'd get joint problems behind as he's such a big chap and spent his first 4 ridden years hunting. Pretty sure it's just wear and tear, and we can sort it out with jabbing, but it's just where we need to jab that we need to investigate. It's annoying that it's come right now, just as we are getting going but hey ho, that's horses.

Yep, sadly that is true. Did you see that article from the eventing website, on why owning a horse is a stupid idea - that rang v true?! Bilateral lameness is hard to spot, but could well be a touch of arthritis in the hocks - which if so could respond really well to injections, really helped my girl. Fingers crossed for you x

fatponee

Visit site
I'm also going but doing the dressage!!

Also just going for the experience lol as never done anything really big like this before and starting to get a little scared/excited :0)

Ooooh, what class/es are you doing? I'm taking my 5 year old to do the dressage. He's Welsh so I'm praying he's going to behave!

j1ffy

Visit site
He looks lovely and it sounds like you're doing plenty of prep!! As a fellow grey horse owner I don't envy you all that cleaning...

JB - sorry to read that about your boy, fingers crossed for the bone scan.

RunToEarth

Visit site

Oh good luck, I love Hickstead there is such a great atmosphere there! The permanent stables are usually well bedded but not always cleaned out that well! They also make you feel like midgets, this is my previous horse, 15.3hh... :D
1929682_65847195437_2547_n.jpg

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh good lord, that's ridiculous haha. I AM a midget though! I may need a step ladder to even open that door. Who builds stable doors that size?! Your boy looks like a little kid over the garden fence :)

Yes, he was trying to pretend he was a big leggy Derby jumper! They are stupidly tall but at least they don't have clips on the side of them like most permanent stabling at shows has - hours spent with tail bandages making them eye-gouge proof!

Bernster

Visit site

Got the info in the post today so feeling a bit better about What's involved. Excited! Will be stupidly nervous next week though I'm sure. And feeling like I need to wrap him in cotton wool until then...

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
Well my helper has just let me down because apparently leaving the yard at 6am is too early to get her horse up and turn him out lol. Luckily my OH has said he will come with me as I didn't relish a long drive somewhere unknown on my own.
Does anyone who went last year recall if the day stables are easily available, ie; if we do well in our class would there still be any available? Or do they go like gold dust?
X

Bernster

Visit site
Well my helper has just let me down because apparently leaving the yard at 6am is too early to get her horse up and turn him out lol. Luckily my OH has said he will come with me as I didn't relish a long drive somewhere unknown on my own.
Does anyone who went last year recall if the day stables are easily available, ie; if we do well in our class would there still be any available? Or do they go like gold dust?
X

Can't help with the the stable I'm afraid but presumably they'll be people coming and going most of the day. Hope you have fun though and good luck to everyone going. 6am is early! My classes are all in the afternoon thankfully. plenty of time for cleaning

laurabailey

New User
Visit site
I'm also leaving early Saturday morning to get there with plenty of time for him to settle in although I need to try to get a day stable as I only have one for the Saturday evening. We are first timers having a go at dressage, jumping and showing so really excited but nervous at the same time. I'll be on the huge Chestnut if anyone feels like saying hi!

fatponee

Visit site
I'm also leaving early Saturday morning to get there with plenty of time for him to settle in although I need to try to get a day stable as I only have one for the Saturday evening. We are first timers having a go at dressage, jumping and showing so really excited but nervous at the same time. I'll be on the huge Chestnut if anyone feels like saying hi!

Are you dressaging on Saturday? We're on fairly early but will look out for you. I'll be on the welsh chestnut who I'm praying will behave (although possibly not). The panic has set in!!!!

laurabailey

New User
Visit site
Yes I am, doing prelim 2 but not on until 2.40, have jumping in the morning so I'm hoping he will calm down enough for the afternoon! Saying that he is normally very laid back but it will be just my luck that he turns into a nutter the one time I need him to be relaxed and calm! I have the next 2 days off from work to get my stuff together and make him look pretty! So excited! Good luck, im sure you will do fantastic!