Yay - Hickstead and The Sunshine Tour!

unicornystar

starbug02.wix.com
me and a friend went last year, it was great fun!! We are there this year and due to medical reasons my friend has her own horse to jump and mine lol!! so it's my holiday!!

only tips I can give are:-

allow yourself plenty of time to warm up, settle your horse - the atmosphere there seems to set them all off!
be at ringside and declare in good time before your class
if you are unsure of anything ask ask and ask again
be prepared to rough it as there is no hook up but you CAN take caravans/campervans now if you get a permit from ST
be prepared also for loads of walking as it is very spread out up there
take studs as sometimes there can be ring changes - although after last year I dont think they will change any ring unless something major happens
don't expect dressage results quickly, it does take time, understandably
if you do place ENSURE that you are at presentation as you may miss out otherwise on prizes etc
Perm stables are all booked very early on I know they had about 50 day stables left but if in doubt book one if you think you will need.....
ENJOY!! it is a great weekend and only their 2nd year at the hickstead site so there will be the odd teething problem but its a huge task to organise it all!
Showing wise, you get a bit of everything and you will not be outclassed at all, I saw good I saw bad lol!!!

laurabailey

New User
Visit site
Good to know unicornystar, do you know how the dressage works as my class is huge so I wondered if they split it into sections? Also is the jumping 2 phase or do you all jump and all the clears then go back in for a jump off? Just trying to prepare myself!

fatponee

Visit site
Yes I am, doing prelim 2 but not on until 2.40, have jumping in the morning so I'm hoping he will calm down enough for the afternoon! Saying that he is normally very laid back but it will be just my luck that he turns into a nutter the one time I need him to be relaxed and calm! I have the next 2 days off from work to get my stuff together and make him look pretty! So excited! Good luck, im sure you will do fantastic!

Thank you and good luck to you too! :)

Bernster

Visit site
me and a friend went last year, it was great fun!! We are there this year and due to medical reasons my friend has her own horse to jump and mine lol!! so it's my holiday!!

only tips I can give are:-

allow yourself plenty of time to warm up, settle your horse - the atmosphere there seems to set them all off!
be at ringside and declare in good time before your class
if you are unsure of anything ask ask and ask again
be prepared to rough it as there is no hook up but you CAN take caravans/campervans now if you get a permit from ST
be prepared also for loads of walking as it is very spread out up there
take studs as sometimes there can be ring changes - although after last year I dont think they will change any ring unless something major happens
don't expect dressage results quickly, it does take time, understandably
if you do place ENSURE that you are at presentation as you may miss out otherwise on prizes etc
Perm stables are all booked very early on I know they had about 50 day stables left but if in doubt book one if you think you will need.....
ENJOY!! it is a great weekend and only their 2nd year at the hickstead site so there will be the odd teething problem but its a huge task to organise it all!
Showing wise, you get a bit of everything and you will not be outclassed at all, I saw good I saw bad lol!!!

Great tips, thx so much. Panicking a bit as don't have stud holes and it's been raining. Eek. Will check it out when we get there and fingers crossed well be ok. It's showing, so not like we need the grip of jumping although still might not be ideal.