Yearling making gulp noise

bheb2186

Visit site
My yearling today made a noise similar to a windsucking noise but he wasn't windsucking, he was standing next to me. He only done it twice and he's never done it before. Anyone experienced this before?

bheb2186

Visit site
Funny you should say that fazzie, I goggled it before posting this and the results came back as hiccups too

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Alice had hiccups regularly when she was a foal and on the milk bar. Huge noisy hiccups that made her jump and look behind her !

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I used to know a horse that did this. He was older and ab ex riding school horse.
The owners did nothing, I would have had him cheched for ulcers etc.
Has your horse had any stress lately or likely to have users etc, maybe a bit of stomach acid.
(I know you said he was a yearling)
Hopefully it won't become a problem and is something like hiccups!

JDH01

Visit site
My gelding made a wired 'hicoughing' noise for the first 3 months I had him, there was no wind sucking. Having had him 4 years we now know it only happens if he is really stressed.

bheb2186

Visit site
No stress, he's been with me 10 months now and is settled with my other 2 boys. He's such a laid back boy. Hopefully it is just hiccups, if I hear it again or it becomes more regular I'll get the vet out. Thanks for your replies x

RubysGold

Visit site
I bought my gelding when he was 3, he used to make that gulping noise every so often. I don't know if it was a nervous thing or what but he seems to have grown out of it. He is now 7.
At the time I tried googling it but couldn't find anything

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
My rescue pony does this at feed time, it seems to be an excitement / stress thing. I doubt he'd ever had a bucket feed before (he didn't really know what one was the first time) so his daily fast fibre and minerals is very exciting for him. I've never heard him do it at any other time.