yearling runs into wire fences, why.help!!!!!

martinbenson

New User
Visit site
we have had our new foal now for 6 months, he has suffered 3 injuries so far.
1st a kick to his hock by a grumpy mare.2nd The first night back out after box rest he ran through fence, the wire leaving him with a cut to his leg on the cannon bone,more box rest.
On saterday we put him in the summer turn out field when we came back to check on him he had gone through another fence resulting in surgury.
does this behaviour strike a cord with anyone please. can enyone help!!!!!:confused:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It can be so difficult managing youngsters. The kick, bad luck I suppose - although I assume that he's out with a youngster group, and the mare is the babysitter getting him on a 'bad' day.

Running through the wire, not unheard of when comming of box rest - they often have this 'blind' gallop accross the field.

3rd time - well you've got to look at what's in the field with him.........

NELSON11

Visit site
I had all of this with my now rising 4yo who came to live with me at 9 months old, he had numerous injuries including surgery to remove a 4cm bone chip from a kick. My advice is get him in post and rail somewhere with youngsters of his own age. Sounds to me like he may be frightened. I didn't have the luxury of other youngsters and my poor lad had so many scrapes, he has come out the other side but if I were you, i would alter things now for him.

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
does this behaviour strike a cord with anyone please. can enyone help!!!!!:confused:

I occasionally have a youngster that has NO respect for fencing, and the only cure is electric. Once they have had a couple of good zaps they tend to be far more respectful of all types of fencing. If yours has never experienced electric, introduce in a controlled environment where it is not already stressed, and perhaps with a fieldmate who knows all about it. Good luck, they cost enough without running up vets bills and permanently damaging themselves.

mitters

Visit site
When i got my 2yo he ran through our wire fence (fortunatly without hurting himself). He had been used to post and rail fencing so obviously didn't understand wire fencing.

I tied strips of Alfa-A bags to the top wire to make it highly visible, and electrified the top wire. He has been fine ever since but if i move him into a different field i make sure there are strips tied to the wire so he sees it. He is also always with another horse and never left on his own in case he panics and tries to jump/run through the fence.

teddyt

Visit site
What sort of wire? If its the grey metal variety then horses find that hard to see until close up- so theres your answer.

misst

Visit site
Can you not put some electric tape and posts inside the wire to make it more visible and stop him actually getting to the wire?

Ditto either friends of his own age or a tolorant older horse who will not actually kick him, but will still teach him some manners. He may need a smaller group for while too.

christine48

Visit site
I feel for you! We have a 4 yr old like that. as a 2 yr old she fractured her mandible by chewing on baler twine. Then kept breaking through electric fencing and cut her hock badly. OK as a 3 yr old but latest injury was getting her hind leg caught in a metal gate. destroyed the gate was very lucky not to break her leg

Britestar

Visit site
Agree with suggestion of electric fencing. My home bred 2yr old spent most of last year climbing over/ under and thru any type of fence - including post and rail. I was more worried he would do himself harm on this than the wire. I got electric powered by a lovely 4 x 4 battery - two days and he was sorted! Event his year, after the whole winter with no electric, one sniff and he backed straight off.

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
Hi Martin! *waving from otherside of 'puter screen:)*

Very pleasantly surprised to see Buzz home today, didn't expect him back quite so soon, he must be doing well, bet you're glad! The electric tape idea someone else suggested might be an idea and worth asking Jane about, although suspect you might have to offer to buy some to run the whole length of that field. (Can't remember whether it's wall or wire on the otherside though?). Otherwise, the old plazzy bags on the middle wire might be a go-er too. I think only the top 'rope' wire is electric in the fields (but could be wrong).