Yearling striking out

DPDOT

Visit site
Hi all,

I have a yearling Welsh Sec D gelding. He was castrated on the 22/12/2020 and turns 1 on the 04/05/2021. He is in a large field with a 2yr old from Aprox 9am-4pm every day and comes in at night.

he is a very independent, proud boy who does respect the handler but he has recently in the last few weeks started striking out. I have only ever seen him do it with his right foreleg (left if you are looking at him head on) he will do it when leading, when tied on the yard and has done it when walking through the gateway at the field.

although it is not malicious it is obviously an unwanted behaviour trait. He is 13.2/13.3 so when he does it he’s straight at shin level which bloody hurts if he catches you haha!!

any advice as to WHY he might be doing this and how to get him out of the habit would be much appreciated!

TheMule

Visit site
Generally it's frustration. IE impatient to still be tied up, wanting to walk faster or be turned loose. I doubt it is aimed at the human in aggression?
To solve the problem and stop it becoming a habit I would recommend turning him out 24/7 with minimal handling. At that age that's what a horse needs, IMO their brain just is not mature enough to cope with the demands of patience on a yard set up.

DPDOT

Visit site
Generally it's frustration. IE impatient to still be tied up, wanting to walk faster or be turned loose. I doubt it is aimed at the human in aggression?
To solve the problem and stop it becoming a habit I would recommend turning him out 24/7 with minimal handling. At that age that's what a horse needs, IMO their brain just is not mature enough to cope with the demands of patience on a yard set up.

Hi, as I said above I don’t think it’s malicious at all! But obviously something I don’t want him doing still!
Thankyou for your reply, I do agree it seems to be a patience thing!
If I could have him out 24/7 I would! I completely agree with what you have said! He will be moving to 24/7 turnout&minimal handling in the next few weeks. Unfortunately this is just how our yard works and for the most part he has fit in beautifully and settled really well x

Boy Tom

Visit site

^^^ ~ this, well said. I'd also add to the point made that he may very well benefit from being turned out 24/7 - if he's being brought in at night, it sounds rather like he's also being fed - he's being done, he's learning to be tied up, in short he's being produced and learning how to be a grown up - and perhaps coupled to being fed, it's all a bit much for him at such a tender age. Just a suggestion.