Yearlings has high liver enzymes

sanchob

Visit site
Had the vet out to my yearling 2 days ago as he seemed off colour, laying down a lot more then normal and just a bit quiet. Blood tests taken which are showing he has high liver enzymes. He was treated for tape worm 3 weeks ago as had a rather high count, and had a few episodes of spasmodic colic. My vet thinks he still has tape, and to re worm him in about 6 weeks hopefully when his liver readings improve. He is unsure at the moment what has caused this, has anyone ever known of a high tape count effecting a horses liver? His diet consists of soaked hay, grass, and a small handful of Timothy chop twice a day with a scoop of garlic, I’ve cut the garlic out now incase that has an effect on it I’m not sure. He will have another blood test in 2 weeks, vet has told me to put him on Legaphyton and milk thistle for now. Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Inappetance (so if he’s been grumbling on a bit colicky) can cause raised liver enzymes - worth rechecking in a few weeks in case it’s ‘just’ due to that. Hope he’s ok!

sanchob

Visit site
Thanks for your replies I’ve ordered a liver fluke test from Westgate labs to check, hopefully can get that sorted and have results be the end of Next week. He is fine condition wise, and hasn’t had any change in his stools, just all of a sudden looks tired, and has had the 2 bouts of belly ache over the last 3 weeks. Hopefully he is back to his normal playful self soon ??

HeyMich

Visit site
Thanks for your replies I’ve ordered a liver fluke test from Westgate labs to check, hopefully can get that sorted and have results be the end of Next week. He is fine condition wise, and hasn’t had any change in his stools, just all of a sudden looks tired, and has had the 2 bouts of belly ache over the last 3 weeks. Hopefully he is back to his normal playful self soon ??

My vet also says the tests are really unreliable so we just dosed the horse we were worried about without testing. It's actually a medication for cattle, but the vet can prescribe it for horses too, if you ask.