yearlings knees

allycat12

New User
Visit site
hi I was wondering what you guys thought of my yearlings front legs. I know he has a good sized splint. but have had it looked at and it will either go, or it won't.

anyway I changed to a new farrier and she has mentioned his knees are rotating outwards? but that she can fix it? his movement has not changed and he doesn't paddle or dish out. I'm wondering if anyone else can see that he is not straight through the knee? and at 19months old can my farrier fix it? I thought they had to be foals or weanlings to fix any leg problems. not saying it is a problem. but I don't want it to get any worse?
20190621_072032-01.jpeg

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I think that you need to do some research into bench knees. I also would have thought that he would be too old for correction, but I'm not an expert.

allycat12

New User
Visit site
I think that you need to do some research into bench knees. I also would have thought that he would be too old for correction, but I'm not an expert.
I have looked into bench knees, but apparently they are not rotating the same way. they are thrbing more out. but with my eyes, they don't look bad to me? and no problem with moving hes straight. I wi talk to her again next time she comes to explain more to me about it.

allycat12

New User
Visit site
I have looked into bench knees, but apparently they are not rotating the same way. they are thrbing more out. but with my eyes, they don't look bad to me? and no problem with moving hes straight. I wi talk to her again next time she comes to explain more to me about it.
rotating*

TheMule

Visit site
Splints, especially inside and high up like that, signal a problem because they're produced in response to the extra concussion placed on the limb. I would probably want a proper evaluation by a vet before agreeing to allow changes to the trimming.
This isn't a very accurate diagram because I've just done it quickly on the iPad, but it does show that there probably is something to think about

Attachments

• 94BC67FA-AFA3-4573-880D-D1281B134DC6.jpeg
    94BC67FA-AFA3-4573-880D-D1281B134DC6.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 39

allycat12

New User
Visit site
Splints, especially inside and high up like that, signal a problem because they're produced in response to the extra concussion placed on the limb. I would probably want a proper evaluation by a vet before agreeing to allow changes to the trimming.
This isn't a very accurate diagram because I've just done it quickly on the iPad, but it does show that there probably is something to think about
now I see it. I had a vet check on him done about 2weeks ago. the vet wasn't concerned about his front legs. we actually ended up doing xrays of his hocks and stifles because he was clicking when walking. but nothing bad showed up on those. I will have to save more money up to get more xrays done of his front legs. he got the splint around half a year ago now. and was never lame on it. but with that diagram I can see how she doesn't think he is that straight. I was always told that if they toe out more then usually they will straighten up once mature when the chest grows. I will get another vet out in the next couple weeks before he is due for another trim.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They don't look straight but they are not the worst I have seen, I would think it's too late to correct now but at least you and the farrier are aware and can hopefully prevent them getting any worse.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If the problem really is coming from his knees, she still has a few months to trim to correct it before the growth plates seal. If she really knows what she is doing, it would be worth a shot.

But if he remains slightly out of balance, then in your shoes, I would make absolutely sure that I was with a foot care professional who believes in allowing a horse with legs that aren't straight to have asymmetric feet to compensate.

He isn't that bad at the moment, but a farrier or trimmer who insists on given him symmetric, correct looking feet could cause him to go lame in future because of uneven stresses on the joints higher up.

My guess from your photos is that he tries to grow an extension on the inside of his left front, which someone is trimming off. Personally, I would prefer to see him allowed to keep it, it will equalise the balance of weight coming down from his knee into the centre of the landing area of the foot. Taking it off may be what is causing the wonky growth.

I hope that helps.

allycat12

New User
Visit site
If the problem really is coming from his knees, she still has a few months to trim to correct it before the growth plates seal. If she really knows what she is doing, it would be worth a shot.

But if he remains slightly out of balance, then in your shoes, I would make absolutely sure that I was with a foot care professional who believes in allowing a horse with legs that aren't straight to have asymmetric feet to compensate.

He isn't that bad at the moment, but a farrier or trimmer who insists on given him symmetric, correct looking feet could cause him to go lame in future because of uneven stresses on the joints higher up.

My guess from your photos is that he tries to grow an extension on the inside of his left front, which someone is trimming off. Personally, I would prefer to see him allowed to keep it, it will equalise the balance of weight coming down from his knee into the centre of the landing area of the foot. Taking it off may be what is causing the wonky growth.

I hope that helps.

that's alot of help thanks I will talk to her about it more when she comes here next.

she believes his heels were bad and she mentioned that she will do something with his toe. can't remember exactly what she said, but it's not going to be straight away. she said she can only do as much as he will let her each time and hopfully we can straighten the knees out before the plates close. I'm going to take photos of his feet closer to the time of his next trim and see what his growth is like and see where he is wearing it down. then I can mention it to her more. I do believe she knows what she is doing though. she didn't seem to worried about not been able to do it. will update this thread when she is here in 2weeks.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think need and I mean need some foreleg xrays before you start to correct anything by trimming .
You can’t correct what you can’t see and no farrier can see whats inside balance size
You have limited time to make a difference so you really need X-rays now

allycat12

New User
Visit site
I think need and I mean need some foreleg xrays before you start to correct anything by trimming .
You can’t correct what you can’t see and no farrier can see whats inside balance size
You have limited time to make a difference so you really need X-rays now
hes being xrayed now :)

allycat12

New User
Visit site
update with xrays. vet said hes not bad at all. and xrays came back fine. and to keep him trimmed the way he is now. good levels. and they won't get any worse. yay! and he said it wont effect him jumping at all as his movement is fine! woo.