Yearlings?

dianchi

Visit site
My yearling has gone from a 4'6" to getting on for 6ft this year!

How much to you find they change going through two and three? Just working out what I should try and buy to get me through the winter, more so to see if its worth investiture if it will fit more than one winter!

sallyf

Visit site
Ive just bought a 6ft for mine but tend to buy the half neck rugs so if its a bit big it doesnt matter quite so much as it sits further up the neck and he will grow into it over the winter.
It will still fit him in the spring and probably the best part of the following summer if needed but starting to get a bit tight.
My now 3 yr olds really needed a 6ft 6 by the end of there 2 yr old winter and are now in 6ft 9's
They are both a good 16.2.

jaynec

Visit site
Rugs!!!! My yearling lives out and hasn't got a rug. He is going to his winter turnout next month, with a dozen or so other youngsters. He was out last year in the snow and seemed fine! X

staceyn

Visit site
I spent a fortune on rugs last year so this years plan is buy a field shelter instead and don't rug at all they just grow too much last year I had to buy 12 rugs lol !and not one fits now so mine will just have to be naked I might put a fleece on them at night in the stable when it in the minuses.

Clodagh

Visit site
Piper (now 17hh) was in a 6'3" last winter (it was a bit big) and I have just bought him a 6'6" for this. I hope he will stop at 6'6"!

dianchi

Visit site
Rugs!!!! My yearling lives out and hasn't got a rug. He is going to his winter turnout next month, with a dozen or so other youngsters. He was out last year in the snow and seemed fine! X

Well done for you

Some of us have issues with lameness etc so cant live out. I would LOVE to be able to get her out but looks highly unlikely especially as im suspecting its a fracture in her hock.

lornaA

Visit site
my 17 month old is starting the winter in a 5ft 9. I am hoping if he grows out of that i can buy him a 6ft 3 and that would surely see him through to spring. The advantage would then be that my other horse could probably wear the 6ft 3 once he has out grown it as she is a small 6ft 6. When I first got her she was 20 months and wearing a 6ft so she only went up 2 sizes since she turned 2.

Whizz105

Visit site
Mine is now in 5'9 (luckily now sharing her mums rugs) fingers crossed she doesn't grow as much over this winter so i don't have to buy as many!

wytsend

www.martins-park.com
Haave 4yr old who is 16hh and has gone from a 6'3 to 6'6 in 3 mths. Really now needs a 6'9 for real comfort.
Hasn;t finished growing by a long way so hope we now have final length & he starts going up !!!!!

sallyf

Visit site
Most of mine dont get much hair and i refuse to feed very expensive hard feed for them to shiver it off.
My personal choice ,as i rug all of my mares too and am based just outside Newmarket.
Ive been breeding horses for 30 years and it hasnt done any of mine any harm yet .

alfiesmum

Visit site
i recently sold a yearling, vets comment was to new owner to rug him as he is a little under muscled due to the cold. where we are is very cold and very windy.

so i have rugged my foal this year (not for sale)

he is 5 months old and is in a 5'3 already.

DosyMare

Visit site
I rugged my foal last year for showing reasons and was in alot.
This year his naked, living out and growning up, no feed.
His 18months now and about 6ft6.

mturnbull

Visit site
My yearling has gone from a 4'6" to getting on for 6ft this year!
QUOTE]

Exact same with my little one! Luckily my older boy is a 6ft so looks like they will be sharing this year!

All you that rug babies, tell me for what reason do you do this?
Never have I & I have had lots of tb babies live out all year no rugs.

I do this because its what suits MY yearling. Every horse is different and every person treats their own horse whether it be a baby or not differently. Did i mention she also comes in at night every night and did through the summer as well, it suits me, my routine, my other horses routine and the yard i am on.