Yellow horse syndrome

Merlod

Visit site
Bit of a light-hearted post :) … since taking a buckskin pony on I have noticed he is lavished with attention from passers by both normal and equestrian – “beautiful”, “what a lovely pony”. Now personally I see past the colour and recognise a slightly dishing pony with a common head and big attitude!

I have other much more quality ponies, who are friendlier but ordinary colours so this yellow boy is always first to be treated/patted/fussed over which just got me musing over whether this has contributed to his attitude – can be challenging and dominant but he’s quickly learned he is no special flower here lol. Just wondering if anyone else had similar experience with yellow (palomino, dun, buckskin) equines as I don’t think I’ve known one to be completely well behaved or easy – but that may just be my experience!

epeters91

Visit site
My old palomino's nickname was Spooky Suki litterally everytime you took her in the menage she would spook at everything for a good 5-10 minutes before settling and she would pull a face when her tack came out occasionally but she knew people loved her and wanted to say hi to everyone. She was a lovely golden palomino and really was a beautiful colour but under the colour she was a scruffy hairy section C cross Arab if she was a standard colour I don't think she'd have had anywhere near as much attention bless her haha!

misskk88

Visit site
Never thought about it before, but all the palomino/buckskin ponies I have known have been rather cheeky and over opinionated little things! One was disastrously croup high, the other had a weird shaped nostril from an old injury (full functioning!) and the other was a badly put together gelding, who had serious attitude.

They certainly weren't lookers and they were far from the most friendly, but non horsey people did like their colour (guessing they wouldn't know the differences in a well put together one against a bad one) and therefore made an extra fuss over them!

I didn't know their history and was only a teen when I knew them, so can only guess that perhaps the well meaning but incorrect fuss and cooing contributed to bargy/nippy/pocket raider behaviour. Same would go for any horse though!

MrsNorris

Visit site
I have a golden buckskin and he's a dream in every way. Gets loads of attention, but doesn't let it go to his head. He was a bit of a lad when he first arrived, bolshy and rude, but years of constant firm but fair handling has made him the horse he is now. It's all down to us at the end of the day...

Jo1987

Visit site
I can't say I've noticed buckskin/palominos to behave any differently to more standard colours, I've known a few and they've all been fairly straightforward! I learnt to ride on a lovely little buckskin Welsh mare who was just perfect in every way, although perhaps I was blinded by her cute cream colour and blue eyes... (I was 10!)
I have noticed that both horsey and non horsey folk seem to fawn over the cream dilutes, and seem to be willing to pay upwards of £500 more than the horse would be worth if it was bay/chestnut etc.
I must say I prefer a nice shiny dark bay though!

taraj

Visit site
Regularly ride out with a little dun/buckskin (not sure!) he would be very "plain" if he was bay! My older boy chestnut boy with his "blonde" mane and tail always gets the public vote over the little dun!

Annagain

Visit site
It's not just "yellow" horses. I always thought my friend's appaloosa was ugly as hell (not because he was appaloosa, he was just ugly, big ol' common head, little piggy eyes, huge wonky ears and badly put together) but the number of people who would coo over how beautiful he was was astounding. I had my black Sec D at the time who was a very fine example and oozed presence but nobody (unless they had a good understanding of horses) would even look at him.

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
My boy is dun and we do get told a lot by walkers (and sometimes drivers who stop just to tell me) how lovely/beautiful/handsome he is. My friend's grey on the other hand just gets ignored unless he's got his fly mask on in which case he just gets attention for being out with a blindfold/sunglasses on. I think he's just as cute as my boy and he is a bit of an unusual colour too but people rarely comment on him.

catkin

Visit site
My little mare is very dark - but still gets lots of attention,probably because she's very pretty and friendly.
Interestingly both her parents are dilutes - so perhaps it's because she's an 'undercover blonde' :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Regularly ride out with a little dun/buckskin (not sure!) he would be very "plain" if he was bay! My older boy chestnut boy with his "blonde" mane and tail always gets the public vote over the little dun!

My flaxen chestnut gelding has had a few 'isn't she pretty' comments from passers by. Apparently a pretty coloured horse has to be female, LOL. :D

If you post a photo or PM one to me, I can let you know if the pony is buckskin or dun. :)

ChiffChaff

Visit site
My palomino was a lovely example of a Welsh D. But yes he certainly got lots of compliments out hacking and was universally loved on the yard. However he was a sweetheart - cheeky but harmless and loving.

My current loan is piebald and gets fewer compliments (unless it's to say he looks like a cow - and I'm not sure that's a compliment!) at least until people see his pretty blue eye. However he is actually a smart and well put together ISH.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I've had three palos and got loads of nice comments but I also have had two brown and white ones who also got as many comments. I think I have very pretty but and also very nicely behaved horses and they deserve every comment they get ;)

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
my friend has a palomino who aside from the colour, is the most hideous looking creature ! large head, big belly, spindly legs, cow hocked, ewe neck, straight shoulder, long back and sloping croup :eek: it also jogs everywhere. People still say it's pretty... I think it's horrid ! although to be fair, I'm not a palomino person, I like my solid colour horses with dark manes unless they are grey (and then i prefer dark manes but I will make allowances :D )

alice.j

Visit site
There's definitely also a Spotty Horse Syndrome - my leopard spot Appy x NF got nearly 60% in his first (unaff) dressage test at the weekend despite two big spooks and a highly unnecessary trot-walk-trot transition in the middle of a circle, with a big 'attractive pony' written in the comments! I did also tell them he was a baby so hopefully they were just focusing on the good bits of the test!!
I can't say I blame them though, he is a cutie!!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have a palamino mini and she is full of attitude whilst my two chestnut minis are very chilled. The palamino does attract lots of attention and she loves ans expects it from everyone.

creamsoda

Visit site
My daughters old pony was a Cremello. She always attracted attention, at one show a whole family were supporting her from the ring side- they loved the fact that pony and rider matched. Both blonde with blue eyes!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
100%.
I have a big, 16.2h hunter type silver buckskin appaloosa and we get a lot of attention, both out hacking and at shows. Sometimes it's nice that people admire him but sometimes, when he's being a dilbert, I'd rather we blended in with all the bays!

Although I do admit to being a bit of a colour geek and cant help myself but correct people who compliment me on my 'dun' horse.........

kasper%20size_zpstm9hnjnj.jpg

I dont know why buckskins, duns, palominos etc grab peoples attention, is it perhaps just becasue they are relatively rarer to see.

Last edited:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We had two "pink" mares, one appaloosa and one bay roan, they drew a lot of attention while out and about :) We also find solid bay draught horses draw a lot of attention :)

fathorselover

Visit site
A friend has a dun connie- he is a total and utter horrible git!!! Absolutely miserable, biting kicking bully.. i had a dun connie x mare on loan for my daughter and she was an angel through and through, if she was a hand taller i would have kept her for myself! So in my view they all have different personalities just like any other colour!

horsesforcourses

Visit site
When i ride throught the village on my Dun (sorry, I'm dreadfully old fashioned!!), she always gets comments about being pretty coloured etc.
-------"----------"----------- on bay mare, who is much prettier, never a word was mentioned.
------------"----------------on bay with 4 white legs and white streak in tail, who is very handsome, he gets some comments. But definately the Dun wins hands down.

kez81

Visit site
My buckskin boy gets lots of nice comments and he deserves every one lol! He is nicely put together and moves really well with a good flashy cob trot. His summer coat is quite striking as he carries the sooty gene so gets bronzing and dapples down his neck and over his rump. He is just as lovely in temperament but then has only ever been handled and trained by me and my kids so has never b

kez81

Visit site
My buckskin boy gets lots of nice comments and he deserves every one lol! He is nicely put together and moves really well with a good flashy cob trot. His summer coat is quite striking as he carries the sooty gene so gets bronzing and dapples down his neck and over his rump. He is just as lovely in temperament but then has only ever been handled and trained by me and my kids so has never b

Never been treated any differently to my other horses to get too full of himself!

CPalominoR

Visit site
How funny!
I thought it was just me! My Czech Warmblood Palomino is now 3 Years old had him from 9 months and he is as brave and bold as anything, complete character (which i adore) but he is super super naughty to other owners and likes to show off and give it big around the yard like hes a stallion!

Hes like a human, knows exactly when to push you and you can see he finds it amusing! but everyone says hes so beautiful and handsome that they forget how cheeky and naughty he is half the time!

Irish gal

Visit site
They do seem to have a power over people alright. Years ago I had a truly gorgeous palomino with a lot of blood, he never walked, just pranced and I was totally smitten as only a teenage girl can be. People were always commenting on him and staring and pulling up alongside when hacking to admire him. Once a man pulled alongside and asked what price would I take for him! I got a number of unsolicited offers like that on the spot from people.

The beautiful golden coat on a beautifully put together horse is very striking to see. There is a stud in the UK breeding just golden and spotty riding horses and posts the most fab pictures. The foals are not cheap but seem to be in great demand for their colours, Gassons Farm Stud. I think they have figured that people will pay a premium for a unique looking horse, and in fairness to them they have some beauties.

Visit site
yes, my dun has a massive ego bless him! he always has to be the centre of attention! He is lovely is hand, but does always search you for treats. Quick to learn and picks up fast, but under saddle does like to use his intelligence to his advantage, nothing nasty just cheeky!! honestly wouldn't change him for the world makes everyone on yard laugh with his stupid moments

CPalominoR

Visit site
My Horse is a GFS horse bought him from Gassons Farm Stud, most amazing horses and colours i have ever seen i am very very lucky to have mine he is a rare Kinsky bloodline! so amazing to see someone else has heard of this stud!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
My golden dun defo did get a lot of attention

She was a right madam to, jogging sideways in the road, maybe she was like a shooting star, everyone saw a flash of gold before their eyes as everything was done at 101 mph

Glad she more chilled, now she's 30

Irish gal

Visit site
My Horse is a GFS horse bought him from Gassons Farm Stud, most amazing horses and colours i have ever seen i am very very lucky to have mine he is a rare Kinsky bloodline! so amazing to see someone else has heard of this stud!

I love following GFS on facebook, they do a brilliant job marketing...the photos are amazing. Beautiful horses, some of the photos would make great posters!

Kat

Visit site
We have 5 duns on our yard, so they aren't treated as special here! They are only out numbered by greys and blacks. The bays and our only chestnut are the rarities!