Yellow lead?

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Just saw this on a relative's FaceAche page:

It seems a lot of people, including dog owners, don't understand what they see here... I'm not referring to Luna, a big vicious GSD 🤣🤣 (not really ), or the Halti around her muzzle, or her gorgeous feed-me eyes. Look at her lead, its YELLOW!! YELLOW LEAD MEANS DON'T APPROACH - no matter how friendly your dog is, get hold of it. I'll move to a safe place so you can pass, I'll manage my dogs behaviour, I'm working really hard to keep my dog and your dog safe. Help me out a little. If you see a yellow lead/harness/collar RECALL YOUR DOG, give the person a couple of seconds to put their management protocol in place (it won't make you late for work) and we can all enjoy our walks. I'll say a massive thank you every single time, because I really appreciate the support.
If you could share this, I'd be very grateful. Xxx

I'd no idea that this was a well-known signal (like white stick for blind people, white wtick with red bands for deaf and blind people). I've seen a few of these, and thought that they were just high-visibility leads.

How long has "YELLOW LEAD MEANS DON'T APPROACH" been around?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It's the first I have heard of it, so I'm not surprised that others don't know.

I am even less surprised that they don't care. We were walking our 2 Rottweilers (1 person to each dog), dogs each on two leads, one to the harness and one to the fig 8 noseband. Both set-ups brightly coloured but not yellow. Stupid woman throwing a ball for her spaniel, throws it towards us, spaniel comes along, leaves ball , approaches our dogs. Sister says 'You might want to call your dog', stupid woman says nothing to anyone, spaniel continues to bounce around our Rottweilers, who pretty much ignore it, they are fairly reliably dog neutral unless the other dog is aggressive. But really, why would you throw your dog's ball towards 2 Rottweilers and then ignore it?

Back to yellow leads, there are so many hi-viz leads around that yellow seems to be an inappropriate choice as a warning, other than 'I am here'.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Anyone rapidly putting their dog on a lead or with their dog on lead whatever colour, I would give a wide berth to.

But that’s because you are intelligent and aware. I do this with Zak, given his violent tendencies, but other owners are like ‘Don’t worry, mine’s friemdly.’ Duh! I’m not worried about yours, mate, just don’t want mine wound up so he attacks. Drives me nuts.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I 've not heard of this as I dont belong to any dog forums. Maybe wearing a tabard with a warning would be more effective for the general public ? My lovely neighbours have two GSDs and are aware that some people are worried by the sight of them so they exercise them very early in the morning at the same time each day so everyone knows when they're about.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I 've not heard of this as I dont belong to any dog forums. Maybe wearing a tabard with a warning would be more effective for the general public ? My lovely neighbours have two GSDs and are aware that some people are worried by the sight of them so they exercise them very early in the morning at the same time each day so everyone knows when they're about.

I'd wear a tabard, flashing lights and a bit of chain link fencing if I thought it would make a difference :)

I walk my three on leads most of the time because two of them have hunting instincts more powerful than their recall, and one of them is so friendly she likes putting muddy pawprints on everyone she meets. None of them are in any way aggressive, but they do get anxious if they are leashed and some strange dog comes into their space. I always step off the path to get out of other walkers' ways, yet I'm often regaled with "oh he/she only wants to say hello/play" as some enthusiastic canine lands in the middle of them.

HEM

Visit site
I have heard of these, I think there are different colours for different needs. i.e. Green = young or nervous

I had a huge Great Dane bound over to me walking my fluffy puppy eyed anxious aggressor. I knew it was going to cause a reaction so scooped him up especially as the owner was not in sight at this point and I was suddenly shouted at by GD owner with the typical he only wants to play, you made it worse by picking him up etc.. with the whole time him trying to regain control of Bruce.

Even if I was to have the correct coloured lead for my dog and the owner was to understand it, 1) Bruce had no recall and 2) he couldn't see me whilst sitting on the bench round the corner.

I think there are a lot of people that own dogs that just don't seem to care or realise! I can almost guarantee my lil pooch would have bit if the GD had been able to 'play with him' with him!

skinnydipper

Visit site
My dog has a large yellow leash sleeve (writing easily visible - 3 cm high) asking for space and also a large yellow bandana which says "CAUTION please respect my space".

Complete waste of time.

People think it doesn't apply to them and their rude dogs barging into our space, getting in his face and up his backside.

He is wearing this paraphernalia and I still have to verbally ask people not to insist on trying to stroke him (or in one case a woman trying to hug him) - only to have people tell me he will be all right and continue to put try to put their hand over his head - a loud verbal warning from him soon puts them right.

He has the right to go out for a walk and not be stressed by the behaviour of others - this includes people and dogs.

I have done a lot of work with him since I got him and it is a setback to our training.

There are leaflets with instructions for children on how to behave around dogs - don't stroke strange dogs, do not stare at dogs - yet people who may have owned dogs their whole lives seem never to have grasped this concept.

SamBean

Visit site
I bought a tabard/coat for my dalmation after he had spinal surgery and started venturing out again. Despite it being quite clear someone still managed to walk up to him and just launch himself patting his head and back quite firmly, I couldn't believe it!

I do like the principle of it though and on the whole was left alone, I did avoid going out when was more people and dogs around though.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Most people are so unobservant that they will already be on top of you by the time they notice what colour a lead or harness on the dog is or if the dog is wearing a muzzle. By contrast, there is someone that uses the local park who muzzles her dog and lets it off the lead, safe in the knowledge that it is only going out of its way to aggressively headbutt other dogs, as she weakly repeats it's name and keeps walking while others kindly stop their on-lead dogs from retaliating.

It can also suggest liability in the event of a dog fight if your dog is already wearing a label.

Some people I know don't actually require the sticks they take with them on a walk, make of that what you will....

skinnydipper

Visit site
It can also suggest liability in the event of a dog fight if your dog is already wearing a label.

Thankfully he has never bitten or tried to bite - only verbal request to back off. I thought the yellow and the printed request for space would give us some respite from the unwanted attention from other people and their dogs which he clearly finds stressful. I was wrong.

I may abandon using them.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Yes, I know that and you know that, but I'm just playing devil's advocate with the legal implications. It's the same as 'beware of the dog' signs on people's gates.

EventingMum

Visit site
It would be good if it could be publicised more but you can't legislate for stupid. A couple of years ago one of our JRTs went completely blind. I got him a harness and a coat which both clearly said Blind Dog on them to warn people. He was quite happy on a split lead with our other dog and walked along almost touching him as his presence obviously gave him reassurance. However, the number of people that would see him and immediately rush up and touch him to make a fuss of him with no warning was beyond belief.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
I was out with OH yesterday when we came upon a yellow lead dog, I turned up another path with ours and then spent the next half hour explaining why to OH who had never heard of them.

Widgeon

Visit site
I have heard of them but as there are other reasons why a dog might have a yellow lead (hi viz or Dog's Trust branding are the ones I see round here) I find it more useful when they have black writing on saying "NERVOUS" or other message. I do think they're a great idea, it's very helpful (as a dog owner) to know from a distance when to give another dog extra space.

skinnydipper

Visit site
From Yellow Dog UK

Why might a dog need space?
There are many reasons why a dog may need space. It may...
  • have health issues
  • be a rescue dog being rehabilitated. The world can be a very scary place for these dogs.
  • have had a bad experience with another dog or is just not like the kind of friendly dogs which always want to say "Hi!"
  • be a bitch may be in heat
  • be in training
  • be very old and arthritic
  • be nervous or shy and other dogs cause it stress
If you see a dog with a YELLOW ribbon, bandana or similar on the leash or on the dog, this is a dog which needs some space.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I learnt as a very young child to always ask the dog's owner if it was safe to pet it, to never tower over the dog or hold my hand over its head, and to hold out a closed fist for the dog to sniff... this is what I considered "common sense".

Conventions like the yellow lead seem to me very artificial and arbitrary, and absolutely require a communication campaign.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I learnt as a very young child to always ask the dog's owner if it was safe to pet it, to never tower over the dog or hold my hand over its head, and to hold out a closed fist for the dog to sniff... this is what I considered "common sense".

Conventions like the yellow lead seem to me very artificial and arbitrary, and absolutely require a communication campaign.

It’s not artificial, it’s from a real place of need and for many people, has nothing to do with how people approach a dog. I can tell people-in several different languages-to keep away from my dog. Other dogs, however, don’t listen, even when he’s gone for them. I want to be able to walk my dogs unmolested, they would never approach other dogs, but when some idiot owner who has never arsed themselves to train a decent recall allows their bouncy in yer face dog to get up my dog’s bum, there’s going to be trouble.

I’ve had to ensure that my lot are very obedient in order to compensate-as much as I can-for the sheer blind determination of entitled owners or those who’ve never bothered to train their own dog.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It’s not artificial, it’s from a real place of need and for many people, has nothing to do with how people approach a dog. I can tell people-in several different languages-to keep away from my dog. Other dogs, however, don’t listen, even when he’s gone for them. I want to be able to walk my dogs unmolested, they would never approach other dogs, but when some idiot owner who has never arsed themselves to train a decent recall allows their bouncy in yer face dog to get up my dog’s bum, there’s going to be trouble.

I’ve had to ensure that my lot are very obedient in order to compensate-as much as I can-for the sheer blind determination of entitled owners or those who’ve never bothered to train their own dog.

I agree with your sentiments about those dog owners who just let their dogs do whatever they please but can't see that a yellow lead on the well-behaved dog is going to make any difference. Now a lead of any colour for the idiot's dog *would* be a good idea.

{97702}

Visit site
It’s a shame that this isn’t more widely known amongst those who I would consider to be sensible dog owners on the forum, but I’m not surprised it isn’t widely known amongst the non-dog owning public so to speak

I’ve known of it for years, and I don’t frequent dog forums or dog FB pages where it has been publicised - other than AAD 😊 it’s a really good scheme if people adhered to it